Warrior/Galena IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baileyforlife

Reaction score
Just wanting some help on a IPA I'm making. I have some warrior and galena hops and I was going to use 2 oz warrior at 60 min and then start hitting it with 1 oz of galena at 15 min and then another 1 oz every 5 min. This is a 60 min boil. I haven't used galena that much but a friend gave me a nice amount so I thougth I would use them on this. First IPA as well so any advice is appreciated. I will probably dry hop as well. Probably only .5 oz maybe a ounce.

My experience with Galena is that it tastes super, super bitter even when used as a late addition. Combined with an entire ounce of Warrior at 60min, that might turn out to be undrinkably bitter, at least until the hops fade with age.

Beersmith says that an ounce of Warrior at 60min plus 3 ounces of Galena total at 15min, 10min, and 5min will produce an IBU of 167, while a quarter ounce of Warrior at 60min plus .75 ounce each of Galena at 15min, 10min, and 5min will produce a much more reasonable IBU of 81.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go with 1 oz warrior at 60 and then 1 oz amarillo at 15 and 10 and then 1 oz liberty at 5 and 1. What do you think about dry hopping with galena?

Back