Warming up lager to speed fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duskb

Reaction score
The title probably says it all. I have a Cali Common I'm working on and it's about 3 weeks in at this point (typically when I pull these guys out and keg them) and I'm not quite where I'd like to be for FG yet (1.020 vs 1.010).

When this happens with Ales I can usually warm it up at this point and slosh the bucket a bit to kick the yeast up to buy a few points. With a common though since it uses lager yeast it's supposed to be at 60 I don't want to mess things up either.

Will warming this up:
1. Restart the yeast?
2. Have any adverse affects on the yeast since I plan on using it for a subsequent batch.

At that gravity I would probably warm it up to 60 and do my diacetyl rest anyway. Since it's already at 60 you could let it go up to 65....shouldn't affect the Cali yeast.

Which Cali yeast are we talking about? I've found that White Labs California ale yeast is is better at higher temps then Wyeast California lager yeast. IMO, for most Californias, it's best to be fermenting around 60.

Didn't think to ask that question....just assumed you were lagering if it was taking 3 weeks.

Which Cali yeast are we talking about? I've found that White Labs California ale yeast is is better at higher temps then Wyeast California lager yeast. IMO, for most Californias, it's best to be fermenting around 60.

Good question. I believe it was the CA Lager yeast, not the Ale. It was not 001 but rather some other number in the 600's or 800's.

Back