Warming and Re-chilling a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with warming and re-chilling a pressurized keg, is there?

I have room for 2 kegs in my fridge. However, I'm getting a 3rd keg that I expect to chill and serve from a party tap. So, circumstances would put me with 2 flowing kegs but the need to carb the third. Yes, I know I could prime and naturally carb in the keg, but that's probably not going to happen. Instead, I expect I'd pull one of my tap lines to carb the party keg. The keg that I pull out while the other is carbing would warm up to room temps for a week or so, and then it would go back on tap. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that, right? I expect pressure would increase as it increases to room temp, but If I don't touch it and cool it back down, it should go right back to the same carb/pressure level once it stabilizes at the fridge temps again, or am I missing anything?

Nah, you are fine. Pulling a keg out of the cold box will age faster, but so long as you chill it thoroughly before serving from it you are fine.

I took a keg of lager to a party, and we didn't finish it (crazy, eh). It warmed up and when I put it back in the fridge it was back to hazy for a week. Still tasted good!

Back