Wanting to Motorize a monster mm-3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
Just got a mm-3 and I would like to motorize it. I am going to start off building the table for it, not sure of the design yet though. I'd also like to find a CW motor for it at a reasonable price that can get the job done.

Any recommendations on this would be helpful.

Thanks.

You'll be hard pressed to find a used motor that is the exact torque and rpm that you want (which is over 50 in-lb and 175 RPM). So, most people get garage door motors. Mine is 1725 RPM and 1/3 hp. It is slowed down 10:1 with a gear reducer. That gives me 172 RPM and multiplies my torque to 100 in-lb. I have a lovejoy connector in between the drive shaft of the mill and the gearbox shaft.

The main question is- do you want to slow it down with a pulley system or a gearbox. I wanted to stay away from pulleys. Pulleys are cheaper than a gearbox.

Sorry if I oversimplified. Here are previous posts to check out (albeit I don't think they make this gearbox anymore):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/motor-size-monster-mill-195335/
and
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/looking-grain-mill-motor-advice-246959/#post2944041
with a vid w/ it in use (about in the middle of the vid).

+1 on SankePankey's suggestion. I too went with a gear box on my mm3, just in case my 2yr old found the plug and switch- those fingers are tiny. Figure $150 for a new Groschopp gearbox and $20 for the coupler, maybe $50 if you go the pulley route. IMHO the gearbox is way cheaper than any hospital trip (and associated guilt). Safer for tipsy or otherwise distracted brewers too.

Over a span of a couple weeks i found a 1/2 HP 1725 RPM motor for $60 delivered on ebay. You can get better prices on lower HP motors, as well as motors that need mounting work. I found a $10 1/2hp sump motor but then punted it off to someone else when i didn't feel like making a mount.

tip- replace some of the key screws/bolts on the mm3 to make them finger workable. When you get a jam in the middle of brew day you don't want to have to go looking for tools.

You'll be hard pressed to find a used motor that is the exact torque and rpm that you want (which is over 50 in-lb and 175 RPM). So, most people get garage door motors. Mine is 1725 RPM and 1/3 hp. It is slowed down 10:1 with a gear reducer. That gives me 172 RPM and multiplies my torque to 100 in-lb. I have a lovejoy connector in between the drive shaft of the mill and the gearbox shaft.

The main question is- do you want to slow it down with a pulley system or a gearbox. I wanted to stay away from pulleys. Pulleys are cheaper than a gearbox.

Sorry if I oversimplified. Here are previous posts to check out (albeit I don't think they make this gearbox anymore):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/motor-size-monster-mill-195335/
and
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/looking-grain-mill-motor-advice-246959/#post2944041
with a vid w/ it in use (about in the middle of the vid).

Thanks for the info its helped a ton. Picked up an Emerson 1/3 HP 1725 HP Single phase, single speed motor for $40 so I am on my way.

+1 on SankePankey's suggestion. I too went with a gear box on my mm3, just in case my 2yr old found the plug and switch- those fingers are tiny. Figure $150 for a new Groschopp gearbox and $20 for the coupler, maybe $50 if you go the pulley route. IMHO the gearbox is way cheaper than any hospital trip (and associated guilt). Safer for tipsy or otherwise distracted brewers too.

Over a span of a couple weeks i found a 1/2 HP 1725 RPM motor for $60 delivered on ebay. You can get better prices on lower HP motors, as well as motors that need mounting work. I found a $10 1/2hp sump motor but then punted it off to someone else when i didn't feel like making a mount.

tip- replace some of the key screws/bolts on the mm3 to make them finger workable. When you get a jam in the middle of brew day you don't want to have to go looking for tools.

Which gearbox did you go with?

No prob. That's the exact spec motor and price I paid. Mine is GE. Good first step!

How do you figure out the torque on the output of a gearbox based on the motor being used? I have found quite a few 10:1 gear reducers under $100, but I can't figure out exactly what I need besides the 10:1 ratio and based on what I have seen not all 10:1 gearboxes provide the same output.

Most folks go with a 1/3 or 1/2 HP motor and use the gearbox to lower the RPM to "acceptable" levels. My motor is 1/2hp at 1725rpm and i use a 10:1 on the mm3, joined with lovejoy spider/jaw couplers.

How do you figure out the torque on the output of a gearbox based on the motor being used? I have found quite a few 10:1 gear reducers under $100, but I can't figure out exactly what I need besides the 10:1 ratio and based on what I have seen not all 10:1 gearboxes provide the same output.

I found a Grosschop link that told me what it was. The link doesn't work anymore that I have. But it said that a 1/3 hp at 10:1 yields 100 in-lb. I believe that they all work the same way in multiplying torque when reducing revolutions per minute. I don't know if at 10:1, it is 1:10 or what the variable is but just remember the info from Grosschop.

Back