Wanting to All Grain Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampsn

Reaction score
I just got this 60 quart pot with a strainer that came with it, it looks like this.

60%20stainles.bmp

I don't have a mash tun or anything yet, and was curious if I could just simply put my grains into a mesh net in this strainer, then add the hot water to this pot and steep the grains like that over my propane burner if I lose heat. Then add sparge water afterwards. Then just simply lift out the strainer with the net and grains inside.

Do you think this would work ok? Any advice would be appreciated.

I want to build a cooler mash tun, just haven't got around to it yet. Thanks.

Yes, that would work. I would imagine that the efficiency you'd get from it would be pretty low from sparging that way, but it would definitely work.

I think Deathbrewer's thread on AG would be helpful for this question, so I'll go see if I can find it and post it here.

Edit- found the link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

You're actually going to be doing the same thing, and I'm sure you'll like the results. I say go for it!

Would it be better if I maybe poured the wort from the original mash and poured it into another pot, and then poured the sparge water over the grains so it is not mixed with the original wort?

Edit: ok great thanks, I guess then yes would be the answer to above question.

i think you should use a different pot to mash in, then sparge in your biggun.

do you have a heating utensile that can boil 6.5 gallons? you can always split the boil if not.

go read that thread yooper posted. it is excellent.

Would it be better if I maybe poured the wort from the original mash and poured it into another pot, and then poured the sparge water over the grains so it is not mixed with the original wort?

Edit: ok great thanks, I guess then yes would be the answer to above question.

I use a 3 gallon cooler and do exactly that. I mash in the cooler with my grains in a paint strainer bag. After the proper amount of time I remove the bag, pour the wort into my brew pot ( 30 quart aluminum turkey fryer pot) and put the mesh bag back in the cooler and pour my sparge water in on it.I leave it there for about 10 minutes then remove it again and dump that water into the boil pot also and give it a boil. My last batch I rinsed a 2nd time, but ended up with too much water so likely won't do it again.
The method works and makes good beer, go for it. You'll need too figure out how to boil it all, and then how to cool it, but you can certainly do AG this way.

Yah I have a nice propane burner able to do a full boil.

I do have a 5 gallon pot as well I could do the mash in if it is big enough. That would probably hold the temperature better longer anyway huh?

I use a 3 gallon cooler and do exactly that. I mash in the cooler with my grains in a paint strainer bag. After the proper amount of time I remove the bag, pour the wort into my brew pot ( 30 quart aluminum turkey fryer pot) and put the mesh bag back in the cooler and pour my sparge water in on it.I leave it there for about 10 minutes then remove it again and dump that water into the boil pot also and give it a boil. My last batch I rinsed a 2nd time, but ended up with too much water so likely won't do it again.
The method works and makes good beer, go for it. You'll need too figure out how to boil it all, and then how to cool it, but you can certainly do AG this way.

Good to hear thanks. Looking forward to trying this, hope i get a decent efficiency.

Holding temp in a pot for an hour may be difficult. You'll likely need to insulate it in some manner. An old cooler is much better. My freebie 3 gallon (from Craigslist) holds the whole time without losing a degree if I put a layer of foam insulating board on top of the cover.

Back