Wanting to add some cinnamon to a english brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzhilton

Reaction score
I about to brew a 5 gallon batch of an English brown ale and i wanted to give it a little something extra. So i thought about adding some cinnamon. Is this a good idea and how do i go about adding the cinnamon? Second fermentaion etc..?

when i use spices i add them at flame out. you should start small, maybe a tsp of the ground stuff

I did two cinnamon sticks with about 10 minutes left in a boil, turned out great. Just a hint of spice, exactly what I wanted.

pedimac, did you have any problems with fermentation when adding cinnamon before primary fermentation? I know that cinnamon is a natural antiseptic, and I was worried that it would kill of some or all of my yeast. This led me to add it so secondary, which still gave a very good flavor.

Zymurph, none whatsoever. And that was only throwing in a vial of wlp California ale because I didn't feel like making a starter.

pedimac, did you have any problems with fermentation when adding cinnamon before primary fermentation? I know that cinnamon is a natural antiseptic, and I was worried that it would kill of some or all of my yeast. This led me to add it so secondary, which still gave a very good flavor.

Did you add two cinnamon sticks during second fermentation or some ground cinnamon? I'm making a five gallon batch.

Back