Wanted: Unusual Extract Hef Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KlausUndFriends

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I'm brewing my first 5 gal batch of Hef at the moment.

Kept it simple - Wheat LME (65:35) and 2oz Hallertau (2.8%) at 60, with 3068 in the low 60's for a week and it's now at 70 for a further week, before I'm going to bottle condition for 2 weeks.

I have 5lbs of Wheat LME to use up + a smack pack of 3068 and tons of Hallertau. I wanted to make a less traditional Hef (3.5 gallon batch to make it ~5% ABV), and have done a bunch of research... I was considering either adding Chamomile or orange/ lemon zest. It's hard to decide though! Does anyone have experience with either, or has other suggestions? Ideally I don't want to add specialty grains, just keep it relatively simple again with just LME. THANKS!

p.s I do have other hops - Nugget, Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, Colombus, Styrian and Progress.

Signing up in hopes to learn from what is suggested to you..

I'm waiting on my ingredients for a Hefe myself. Wyeast 3068 also but I am using Extra Light DME 65% and Pilsner DME 35% I'm going to use half as much of the same hops.

What % alpha are your hops though? If they're 4 then that should be fine. I'm happy I checked beersmith because 1oz would have been too low IBU (aiming for about 10) with what I bought

Back