Want to start kegging need advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rathaus

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer to make a good size kezzer out of and I have a temperature controler. That being said I want to get into kegging. I can grow to at least 6 kegs but I want to start with at least 2. What would you suggest for used kegs, lines , faucets, etc. I have $500 to start with. Any sites to go to to suggest? Has anyone heard of williams brewing? I appreciate any help or advice.

I just recently started kegging and used beverage elements (look under HBT sponsor).
They had a really good deal on some basic and advanced kits for kegging.
I also ended up picking up some necessary stuff from keg connection and they would also be worth taking a look at.

i personally went to kegconnection and was not disappointed. I got their 4 tap kit which is pretty customizeable. Probably the best advice I can give is to get Perlick taps. If you buy anything else, you will eventually get Perlick anyway, so save some money and get those right off. I found mine for $20/each.Other than that, just keep an eye on Craiglist or maybe you have a homebrewers club in your area that you could find some deals in?

Probably the best advice I can give is to get Perlick taps. If you buy anything else, you will eventually get Perlick anyway, so save some money and get those right off.

^ This
Also, get SS shanks, the plated ones will lose their plating in less than 2 years, and you'll have to replace them (ask me how I know...)

Look at www.homebrewing.org for used kegs. Cheap shipping, and they guarantee them or they'll pay return shipping. Check the "loose handle/bottom" kegs. I have 6 from them, and only had to add a dab of Gorilla Glue to 2 of them to make them like new. A little soak in oxyclean and they're good to go. Great value for the price, and they are honestly very good kegs! IMO, the quality of new kegs are not as good as the old/used ones. Especially these new, cheap China kegs. Poor stainless grade.

Check www.ritebrew.com for parts. Their taps/shanks and manifolds are some of the best prices on the internet, and again cheap shipping.

www.bargainfittings.com for stainless fittings. You absolutely cannot beat his prices. Well, unless you want to scour McMasterCarr for 3 hours to to end up saving $2...

Check your local Craigslist constantly. You should have no problem finding a used co2 tank and other necessities, if you look daily.

Check the "For Sale" section here too! Great deals pop up all the time, but you gotta be quick. There's also a guy in that section with great prices on shipped co2 tanks too.

Many people like the "big" websites, but generally I find them laughably overpriced. You can find great deals if you take your time and search everything. Sometimes you'll find great stuff on eBay and Amazon too!

Make sure you put a fan in your keezer to circulate the air, and make sure the freezer is airtight. 2 big mistakes I made when I first built a keezer.

A good rule of thumb is 1ft of 3/16 beverage line for every 1lb of co2. Then cut the lines back until you find your perfect pour. Most of my ales run at 12lbs with 9 3/4ft lines at around 36°. Remember, everyone's system is different... and yours will be too! I coil my lines up, zip tie them, and lay them on the top of the kegs.

Buy Perlick taps. You will not be disappointed. Don't waste your money on standard taps. Even the chrome/brass Perlick taps are infinitely better than the standard ones. They are worth their weight in gold...

Good luck, and happy hunting!!!

I get all of my keg stuff from www.cornykeg.com they have by far the best prices on kegs and co2 parts. I use the reconditioned ball lock kegs which is a coke keg refitted with ball locks-about $55 each. I get my faucets from Amazon. CO2 and tanks can be purchased from a local fire supply store. Got my 5lb tank used and full for about $60.

If you already have the freezer and temp controller, I think that $500 is going to go a long ways.

As someone else mentioned; homebrewing.org and buying used kegs and all of the other stuff that you need is priced very good. I shop there all the time. I purchased all 3 of my used kegs from them and have had no issues.

Don't forget to buy "DampRid" or some other comparable moisture absorption crystals to suck up the moisture created inside the keezer. Over time, moisture & air can create rust inside the chamber. At least that's what happened to me. I ended up emptying out the keezer and painted the inside with waterproof paint. My keezer is back up and running as great as always. I have to change out the moisture absorption crystals every couple months. They can be purchased at most grocery stores.

Don't forget to buy "DampRid" or some other comparable moisture absorption crystals to suck up the moisture created inside the keezer. Over time, moisture & air can create rust inside the chamber. At least that's what happened to me. I ended up emptying out the keezer and painted the inside with waterproof paint. My keezer is back up and running as great as always. I have to change out the moisture absorption crystals every couple months. They can be purchased at most grocery stores.

Thanks for this.

Latest posts

Back