Want to make some sour beer? Join my wine-barrel project in the Portland area.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally brewing tomorrow! Glad to hear I'm not far behind I was getting worried. I needed more propane, which I'm finally getting tomorrow no car but making it work, and was trying to find a good way to finally start filtering my water don't want to **** this up. I'm gonna roll with a campden tablet, cuz I'm a broke ass 20 something.

Brewvana training has also been keeping me mad busy! Today we had the written test, it was cake. On Tuesday I get to go on the first walking tour with my co-workers, and we will be imbibing... to "test out" this new tour format. Thursday and Friday I have to follow along, haven't been on those tours yet, Saturday is Cider Summit and I'll either be working at the fest or driving peeps!

Would love to do periodic meetups/tastings.

I just finished 11 gallons today with the turbid mash, took 7 hours from start to finish. I'll be doing them with Roeselare and then on Wednesday I'll do another 11 and do Roeselare in one and Bug Farm ecy01 in the other.

I just got back from vacation so if you all need to drop off early I should be here.

I'm leading a tour for training on Saturday the 29th... So I may be able to make at some point in the evening or before 10am if we're up for that. That may be to hectic and I'll have to pick another day. Also at the whim of when my house mate is around with his car.

Well damn if it isn't my second need of a blowoff ever- both Roeselare pitches. This Lambic for our barrel project and my Flanders Red from 12 months ago - It 'blew' off my stopper and airlock and spewed all over the place. Luckily this was a lazy slow expansion...

Lambic Blowoff.jpg

I attempted to brew my 10 gallons last week but badly scorched the turbid portion. I cant brew again till this thursday. I hope that isn't a problem.

I attempted to brew my 10 gallons last week but badly scorched the turbid portion. I cant brew again till this thursday. I hope that isn't a problem.

That's why we started early, it should be fine. This beer will be fermenting for a year+, a few days isn't going to harm it. I'm not brewing the 2nd half of mine until tomorrow or Thursday too.

I have 4.6-4.8 gallons.

I'll do another five and if we need it all that's cool or I'll just split that batch when it comes time to dump and do some aging myself :)

Vegan, Forgot if I mentioned it... I'm almost certain I can't make it on the 29th. Is there a better day that works for you, maybe those that can't make it on dump day can all coordinate to show up at your place at one time? The Sunday could work well for me.

I should be here pretty much everyday from now till then. As long as all the beer is here on or before the 29th, we're good. Then you can come pick up your carboys whenever, I'll be on vacation from the 2nd-7th.

@iscribble I think it was always the 29th and that was a typo but I've been wrong before.

nm, just looked back through the thread...

P.S. I'm Brewing tonight.

You initially said the 29th, somewhere in the thread it got converted to the 28th, but I always assumed you still meant the 29th.

After nearly 4 hours I finally have 12 gallons at 1.046 preboil and pre-maltodextrin. I'll probably run off a bit more to dilute it.

Does that make ~54.8 gallons?

Me 21
daevidallen- 10
Ibrewaletx- 8
ElectricAlphaAcidTest- 4.8
iscribble- 5.5
jhalloran- 5.5
brewbein- Coming soon

60.3, cut that one close guys ;). I'm not in need of any extra, but angel share over the next couple weeks is up for grabs if it hasn't been called for yet, correct me if I'm wrong on that. I'd like to have at 5 gallons minimum, 10 max. Would need it probably by mid July at the latest.

60.3, cut that one close guys ;). I'm not in need of any extra, but angel share over the next couple weeks is up for grabs if it hasn't been called for yet, correct me if I'm wrong on that. I'd like to have at 5 gallons minimum, 10 max. Would need it probably by mid July at the latest.

I thought we had enough to cover the angel's share, is someone missing from the list?

I don't think we are missing anyone, but it was hard to decipher promises from guarantees of gallons early on.

I finished mine last night finally, Bug Farm IV in one and Roselare in the other.

Does anyone have or know where I can get a stainless steel nail around here? Haven't been able to find one and I want to get that sampling port put in once I drain the thing in a few days and wash it out.

I don't think we are missing anyone, but it was hard to decipher promises from guarantees of gallons early on.

I finished mine last night finally, Bug Farm IV in one and Roselare in the other.

Does anyone have or know where I can get a stainless steel nail around here? Haven't been able to find one and I want to get that sampling port put in once I drain the thing in a few days and wash it out.

Home Depot or Lowes should have them or you could order from McMaster Carr. I believe it's the 4d and a 6d in case the hole gets bored out.

I tried McMaster but they're cases of 250 for 22 bucks each. The two would cost as much as the barrel itself. I'll walk down to Ace and see if they've got them, had no luck at HD or Lowes, the nail departments are a clusterf&*$ there.

I just found this thread and it seems like you guys already have this project going. I'd like to be apart of it the next time around.

theveganbrewer said:
I tried McMaster but they're cases of 250 for 22 bucks each. The two would cost as much as the barrel itself. I'll walk down to Ace and see if they've got them, had no luck at HD or Lowes, the nail departments are a clusterf&*$ there.

Are you looking at the right ones? It was 2.89 for 275ct of 4d and same price for 150ct of the 6d. Hopefully they have them at Ace though.

I just found this thread and it seems like you guys already have this project going. I'd like to be apart of it the next time around.

C'mon aboard, looks like we need 5+ more gallons, not necessarily on the 29th if you can't brew this weekend.

@Brewbien I called them and that set isn't stainless, just regular steel. The stainless ones are 22 bucks each :(

They only had coated ones at Ace, I'll go to a different home depot this time.

C'mon aboard, looks like we need 5+ more gallons, not necessarily on the 29th if you can't brew this weekend.

@Brewbien I called them and that set isn't stainless, just regular steel. The stainless ones are 22 bucks each :(

They only had coated ones at Ace, I'll go to a different home depot this time.

You're not going to find them at a box store. Maybe try asking one of the breweries that does sours?

My bad, I see now that those aren't the stainless ones. I did however forget to mention that I got some of the Brett cultured from Cantillion Iris by BKYeast if we want to pitch that as well.

My bad, I see now that those aren't the stainless ones. I did however forget to mention that I got some of the Brett cultured from Cantillion Iris by BKYeast if we want to pitch that as well.

Which one did you get, C3? If you want to bring it over on pitch day or whenever, I can take a swab of it and put it on an agar plate and bank it for you so you'll always have some available. I can freeze it for long-term storage. Then you can just pitch the rest. I'll only need a tiny, tiny bit to get a plate going. I'll plate it and bank it so hopefully we all have access to it in the future. And of course we should use some :)

Which one did you get, C3? If you want to bring it over on pitch day or whenever, I can take a swab of it and put it on an agar plate and bank it for you so you'll always have some available. I can freeze it for long-term storage. Then you can just pitch the rest. I'll only need a tiny, tiny bit to get a plate going. I'll plate it and bank it so hopefully we all have access to it in the future. And of course we should use some :)

Yeah, I got C3. I'm building it up for a beer so ill decant a pint of it and bring it on pitch day. I used some of my lambic wort for the starter so we can dump the whole thing in. Would also make a good addition to the YeastGeek inventory ;)

Indeed. Trying to get my hands on C2 from someone who caught it on his last release. This beer is going to have some wicked bugs and brett strains in it.

At my house in Beaverton on Saturday, I'll PM you all the address. I'd like to do it sometime between 10-2pm, for about 1 hour or so? I can only escape my family commitments for so long :)

At my house in Beaverton on Saturday, I'll PM you all the address. I'd like to do it sometime between 10-2pm, for about 1 hour or so? I can only escape my family commitments for so long :)

I'm available for anytime you choose between 10 and 2.

Back