Walnut oil in hard cider questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papz

Reaction score
While shopping i stumbled upon a tin of "La Tourangelle" Roasted Walnut oil.
https://latourangelle.com/product/walnut-oil/
Sinse i had been thinking about making a walnut cider forever, I thought i might be able to save some time by not doing a secondary on a bunch of walnuts that i'd chop/roast and try using this oil.
Now.......if anyone by chance has done this here, i'd like some pointers.
Does it need to be "fat washed" or what not.
I found one cocktail using it that does not fat-wash but it uses egg white in it which apparently will bind water/oil together. (something to do with the proteins in egg whites)
https://kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/roasty-toasty

Now..... this will be a 5 gallon batch served from a corny keg so egg whites are going to be a no-go methinks. With it being served from a keg, perhaps i could skip the fat skimming as it will pull cider from the bottom of the keg until it kicks.

Anyone here ever have any experience with this or any other flavoring oils???
Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

I don't think I'd want to drink anything that's had egg in it at room temp for a few weeks, nor an oil that's supposed to be refrigerated after opening. I'd think the whole thing would go rancid pretty quick, even if it did manage to ferment.
Good luck, GF.

Check out walnut bitters. A small amount of this tincture may get you where you want to be in terms of flavor in a cider. I had a walnut bitter old fashioned a couple of weeks ago, and it was really interesting.

Cider is already fermented....just adding something at the tail end for more flavor.
Thanks for the bitters tip... i may try it out.
But back to the original question, has anyone used this stuff (or another oil) in a cider/beer?

My buddy who owns a brewery just put on a PB&J beer that worked really well. They used peanut butter powder for the flavor, and it turned out well. There’s definitely a reason they didn’t use peanut oil... it wouldn’t have gone into solution. If walnut flavor is what you want, you may have to a) find walnut butter powder (?!) b) get a tincture of walnuts c) use whole walnuts d) turnnyour walnut oil into as water / alcohol soluble ingredient. Tapioca maltodextrin apparently is used in this way. Also, you may just take a pint of this already fermented cider, put it in a blender with walnut oil and see what happens! Good luck.

Back