walmart water machine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So these glacial water machines... I think it says that its RO .. Just wanna make sure before I measure out salts for mash and sparge... Anyone have exp with these machines?

i think they vary. the ones around here have stickers from local water companies. none that i know of are RO. i know the one i go to says carbon filtered and UV treated but nothing about RO.

I use to use those machines for my aquarium, this is what I did:

Find out when the machine is serviced and try to be there when the tech is servicing it (look for the service sticker on it). Most of them are happy to talk with someone, and show you how it works. If your lucky, they will need to test the thing for 5 or 10 gallons, and if you happen to have your jugs ready, free water! I scored a few times.

I don't know about walmart, but I think our Whole Foods has RO.
What kinds and weights of salts are you using?

I sometimes use their water, and it is listed RO. Hey if you can use duck pond water, to brew beer, this should be OK to use. I know your concerned about salt addition. However, it has to better to use this source than to use your local water supply that can change from month to month and year to year. I live next to the Yellowstone river in Montana and use only RO water for a base. This is the only way you might hit the profile of water you want for the style you are brewing.

i use the RO machine at the walmart here...... I sent it to ward labs and it came back just as RO water should. Can't speak for yours, but it was good here when I checked it.

+1 on the walmart water machine. I'm on well water and don't like the beers I've made using it.

RO gives me a pretty stable starting point. It is also very cheap at only 38 cents a gal.

What's the cost/gallon? I'm using steam distilled water from the grocery store. It has no minerals added and is ozonated.
I'm getting it for $.89 to $.83/gallon. All other water in the self service jug exchanges are well >$1.00/gal even with the exchange from what I've seen around here.

What's the cost/gallon? I'm using steam distilled water from the grocery store. It has no minerals added and is ozonated.
I'm getting it for $.89 to $.83/gallon. All other water in the self service jug exchanges are well >$1.00/gal even with the exchange from what I've seen around here.

refill station at our walmart is .39 cents a gallon. I have six 3 gallon jugs I take in and load up.

In the Twin Cities the local Cub supermarkets have water machines that state "RO." I get water there for $.39/gallon. I have three 5-gallon plastic jugs I fill up.

I haven't checked my local Wally World.

Haven't seen that here in VA beach area but I don't go the WM very often. May have to do a fly-by.

I haven't brewed using the water at walmart exclusively, but have used it blended with my local water to alter my profile. I found information before that said it was RO.

Went and bought 17 gal and brewed today since tag said RO I added salt for my desired profile. Well see how well it goes...i made a helles so its gonna be easy to tell if there are too many disolved salts indicating I didn't get ro

I used it for a while until I got burned. got 10 gallons of crap water due to them not keeping up on the machine maintenance. wouldn't be a bad idea to check it with a portable conductivity meter before you fill. ill stick to distilled.

We went to Whole Foods today, their machine is RO or DI for $0.38/gal

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

I used it for a while until I got burned. got 10 gallons of crap water due to them not keeping up on the machine maintenance. wouldn't be a bad idea to check it with a portable conductivity meter before you fill. ill stick to distilled.

A lot of places sell it now. Winco, Albertsons...

Back