Walmart Fermenting Bucket Score!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooseknuckle2000

Reaction score
I believe this has been mentioned before, but just wanted to show you guys what a little asking will get ya...
IMG_2713.jpg

I stopped by my local Walmart's bakery and asked if they had any "icing buckets" they were going to throw out and they loaded me down with these! They are all food grade and clean up nice and easy. I probably won't use these for a primary (except for the 4 gal. batch of cider I just made), but they'll make great secondaries. Here's to keeping the brewing frugal :mug:

a local grocery store has those same buckets that they sell for a buck a piece when they're done with them. They're HDPE #1 food grade and the lids provide a great seal :)

I haven't used them for fermenting yet, just storing grain....but I plan on it :D

Nice find. I think they would be great for splitting a 5 gallon batch and experimenting.

Just as an FYI, I wouldn't plan on using them as a secondary for long periods as HDPE is oxygen permeable. Using them for a primary is no big deal as it's for a short duration and the yeast are actively metabolizing the oxygen. I'm sure someone will say otherwise but I wouldn't feel comfortable using them as a secondary especially given the fact that it would be hard to fill them them to the brim to limit the head space. Just my take....

Nice find. I think they would be great for splitting a 5 gallon batch and experimenting.

Just as an FYI, I wouldn't plan on using them as a secondary for long periods as HDPE is oxygen permeable. Using them for a primary is no big deal as it's for a short duration and the yeast are actively metabolizing the oxygen. I'm sure someone will say otherwise but I wouldn't feel comfortable using them as a secondary especially given the fact that it would be hard to fill them them to the brim to limit the head space. Just my take....

I was thinking the same with splitting batches. I thought it would be a good way to experiment with different yeasts on the same brew. Also, I usually don't use my secondaries for long. Usually just for dry hopping and settling (5-7 days max usually).

across the street from my condo there is a donut shop and a Food Maxx supermarket with a bakery.

Free Buckets (depending on who's there at the time ) from Food Maxx. $2 each from donut shop. These buckets are used for everything from Homemade Laundry soap to motorcycle washing.

I was thinking the same with splitting batches. I thought it would be a good way to experiment with different yeasts on the same brew. Also, I usually don't use my secondaries for long. Usually just for dry hopping and settling (5-7 days max usually).

Yeah good plan with yeast experiment. 5-7 days no problemo.

Back