Wall Street Journal's George Washington's Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjbable

Reaction score
My Mother in law stumbled across this article in The Wall Street Journal. The title of the article is "What did George Washington Drink?". The recipe was scribbled on the last page of one of Washington's journals. This is how Washington paid his farmhands. Each person received a bottle a day for payment so it does have a little history to it. I thought some of you guys would like to do this brew, throw it in some nice bottles to give to some history buffs. I'll type out the recipe as it states in the newspaper that way you have what i have. Alter it how you like...

FYI -- This is a 1 gallon recipe

1 Small pumpkin
Handful of malted barley
1\8 oz spices (mix of fresh ginger, licorice, anise, and cinnamon)
1\4 cup molasses
1 lb malt extract
1\8 oz hops (Fuggles)
1\2 packet dry ale yeast
1 oz brown sugar
a handful of raisins

1.) Split pumpkin in half and roast in oven at 350 degrees until soft and caramelized, about 30 mins.

2.) Put malted barley in mesh bag (or wrap in cheesecloth) and steep in 1.5 gallons water as you bring it to a boil. When it boils, removed malted barley. Boil hops and spices in water for a few minutes, then add pumpkin pulp, molasses and malt extract. Boil for another minute. Cover pot and let it cool to room temperature.

3.) Sanitize the jug, strainer and funnel. Poor liquid through the strainer and funnel into the jug, add yeast and apply the air lock.

4.) When beer stops bubbling and starts to clear, bottle the beer. Boil brown sugar in 1\2 cup water to sanize it. Let it cool and use it to top off the bottles. Drop a raisin or two into each bottle. This is an old trick, when the raisins float, the beer is carbed and ready to drink.

I know some steps are funny sounding but it seems like the guy who wrote the article isn't up to the times of homebrew. Again, this is exactly how the newspaper reads it and can be changed to your liking.

Back