Voss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrux

Reaction score
I’ve never seen anything like this. Just used Voss for the first time. This is the activity 25 min after pitching. Tried to put a video but I guess you can’t. Getting large bubbles in the airlock at a rate of 1-2 per second. Never seen anything so aggressive and practically no lag time

I just put my Galaxy/Voss DIPA on tap. Regrettably I used a spunding setup so I didn't get to see it ripping through the airlock, was a constant hiss through the valve though.

I just put my Galaxy/Voss DIPA on tap. Regrettably I used a spunding setup so I didn't get to see it ripping through the airlock, was a constant hiss through the valve though.

this one is a cascade, 2-row smash

I used Voss on my recent hazy ipa, after first building a two-step starter with it. After witnessing my starter erupt like a volcano, spewing the contents down the flask and all over the stir plate, I decided to go with a blow-off rather than a airlock. I pitched just one tablespoon of slurry in a 5-gallon batch, fermented at 93° and within a few hours the blow-off sounded like a motorboat, with at least three or four bubbles per second.

I used Voss on my recent hazy ipa, after first building a two-step starter with it. After witnessing my starter erupt like a volcano, spewing the contents down the flask and all over the stir plate, I decided to go with a blow-off rather than a airlock. I pitched just one tablespoon of slurry in a 5-gallon batch, fermented at 93° and within a few hours the blow-off sounded like a motorboat, with at least three or four bubbles per second.

How did it turn out?

Brewed a porter with Voss and just left it in my hot garage. It was done in 2 days. Used Hornindal twice now and it was also done around day 2 or 3. My only limitation in the time from grain to glass is finding the time to keg it.

How did it turn out?
I'd say pretty good for my first time brewing a neipa. The Voss yeast was a joy to work with.
Here's a recent pic.

IMG-0158.jpg

It's a beast during fermentation, but I'm seeing pretty low flocculation using LalBrew Voss Kveik. I just hit my keg with a teaspoon of gelatin, so we'll see what happens in a week or so. But for hazy beers, it's hard to beat the time and simplified fermentation process that Kveik provides.

~HopSing.

In the keg/fridge since Aug. 1st. This is @Braufessor neipa recipe with a couple changes. Used Omega Voss Kveik yeast instead of Conan or 1318. Also I did a 2nd dry hop, in the keg, with Galaxy and Azacca.
IMG-0207.jpg

Voss is my house yeast now.

I BIAB so I use the last pint of drippings to make a vitality starter with about a tablespoon of slurry.

I only have a meh immersion chiller but it gets me down to Voss pitching temps very quickly and if I want a clean character I'm still not waiting too long. Voss takes off so quickly in the wort that even if somehow something unwanted did get into my wort while cooling, it doesn't stand much of a chance.

So for it's versatility (fruity or clean), lack of lag time, infrequent harvesting requirement, general all round low maintenance... I don't see me needing any other yeasts any time soon.

Back