Volume Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevermoreBrew

Reaction score
So ive been brewing for about 9 months now. Made 6 batches so far but every single batch has fallen at least a half a gallon short of my 5 gallon target. Im still doing partial mash recipes so this problem might go away when I switch over to full mash. On my last recipe I even made it for 5.5 gallons and still only had 4.5. Is all of this just due to a poor mash efficiency? if so what can I do to increase my efficiency or is there something else I can do to reach my 5 gallon target.

Also, my dad makes wine and he said that when his volume is not enough to completely fill a carboy he adds a little bit of a similar wine to the mix to reduce the head space in the carboy. Is that as important in beer fermentation and will that technique work for beer too?

So ive been brewing for about 9 months now. Made 6 batches so far but every single batch has fallen at least a half a gallon short of my 5 gallon target. Im still doing partial mash recipes so this problem might go away when I switch over to full mash. On my last recipe I even made it for 5.5 gallons and still only had 4.5. Is all of this just due to a poor mash efficiency? if so what can I do to increase my efficiency or is there something else I can do to reach my 5 gallon target.

Also, my dad makes wine and he said that when his volume is not enough to completely fill a carboy he adds a little bit of a similar wine to the mix to reduce the head space in the carboy. Is that as important in beer fermentation and will that technique work for beer too?
Are you doing full boils? If so, you can start with a larger pre boil volume.

If you are doing partial boils and topping off in the fermenter. Than you just need to top off to the right amount.

I wouldn't top off while in the carboy. The risk of oxidizing from head space is much less with beer. Just try to get the right amount from your brew day.

Are you accounting for boil off and grain absorption?

I do partial boils and top off after Ive cooled. But i only top off to the desired OG and it always ends up less than 5 gallons

I do partial boils and top off after Ive cooled. But i only top off to the desired OG and it always ends up less than 5 gallons

Since you are doing partial mashes you don't need to rely on the sugars from the mash as much. I would just raise the amount of extract to make up the difference until you can get more sugar from mashing.

What method are you using to mash and sparge? You may be able to improve your efficiency to get more sugar from the mash.

are you calculating the amount to top off with to the desired OG prior to any top off, or are you adding some water til you measure the desired OG? If #2, you're getting less cuz the wort and water aren't properly mixed

I would almost guarantee its not mixed well enough. Not your fault, its just very difficult to mix wort and water properly enough to get an accurate reading

I also doubt you are getting an accurate OG. Just top off to the volume you're looking for, 5.5 gallons I would assume, and trust the numbers. When you switch to AG you can just adjust your preboil volume.

Latest posts

Back