Volume Marking Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike8228

Reaction score
Has anyone, or does anyone have suggestions on how to mark the inside of your kettle to see volume? Without causing issues with crude and bacteria, etc. I’ve seen some kettles with it laser etched in, but mine do not. With boil off and what not I’d like to hit my target volumes better. Trial and error helps narrow it down, but never the same. I have looked at adding fluid sights to the kettle, but I want that to be my second option as it costs more and one more thing to take apart and clean.

There was another thread similar to this just the other day. You can do it yourself with a 9 volt battery Etch Your Kettle: Projects - Brew Your Own
Another cheap and fast option is to make a dipstick. Use your stirring spoon, mash paddle, plastic or stainless steel yard stick, pvc pipe, etc. Add specific amounts of measured water and make a mark on your stick of choice for each addition of water as you fill your kettle.

I marked my first mash paddle but I eventually got aight glasses from Brew Hardware and like that better.

I etched my kettle with stencils and painters tape using the low voltage method similar to the 9 volt one linked. Eventually I put a sight glass on the kettle for more accuracy. Neither were hard to do.

I use an 18” stainless steel ruler. My HLT and BK are the same diameter, so they hold the same gallons per inch (.62 in my case). This makes it very easy to determine how much water I need, or how much wort I’ve collected. I’ve been using this method for 3 or 4 years now, and I hit my desired volumes at every step in the process. The ruler cost 6 bucks and the math involved probably wouldn’t overwhelm the average 5th grader. If I can achieve the desired accuracy on the cheap I’m good with that. As always, YMMV.

My picture got erased from that thread, but here's my addition from that thread.

New Mash Tun 03.jpg

Thanks. There's a couple of members that were able to get their etching to look black (preferred) instead of white like mine. If I knew how they did that, I may go back and do mine but for the most part I'm happy with it.

That picture is 6 years old and the etching has darkened slightly but still very visible and easy to read.

Thanks. There's a couple of members that were able to get their etching to look black (preferred) instead of white like mine. If I knew how they did that, I may go back and do mine but for the most part I'm happy with it.

That picture is 6 years old and the etching has darkened slightly but still very visible and easy to read.

I read in a link someone posted you have to use AC to get black. DC you are getting from the battery.

I also calibrated my mash paddle and use the dipstick method. I am able to hit my numbers much easier now and I think it has improved my brewing.

If you need help with the calculations I'd be glad to help.

I just created a calibrated piece of tubing. Used it yesterday for the first time, worked well. Easy and cheap. Pretty simple math. I like spreadsheets to help automate the calcs.

I was recommended the 9V method in a thread I posted here, but instead I bought a cheap engraver tool and extra tips from Amazon and a 1 gallon pitcher as I have a few things I wanted the etcher for anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YK66NM/
My method was primitive, I marked up to 4 gallons, 1 gallon at a time from the pitcher. I put down electrical tape with the bottom line being where I would etch.

Last edited:
I read in a link someone posted you have to use AC to get black. DC you are getting from the battery.

Is it in that thread I linked? I don't remember seeing anything on that but I didn't follow it as much after doing my mash tun as I did before. How would you go about using AC in a safe manner?

Is it in that thread I linked? I don't remember seeing anything on that but I didn't follow it as much after doing my mash tun as I did before. How would you go about using AC in a safe manner?
it was yours. I do not know how to do it AC. It is indeed in there.

For anyone who has done etching, have you had any issue with corrosion after eating into the metal like that? I'm specifically interested about stainless steel.

I use a tape measure and then a kettle volume calculator. I'm cheap but it could be a solution for anyone since almost all homes have a tape measure. Just rinse it off before you retract it....

just the other day.

damn the years fly! :mug:

If I knew how they did that, I may go back and do mine but for the most part I'm happy with it.

A/C makes one, and DC makes the other if i remember right? i think i had a low voltage A/C supply, tried both ways, with limited success. so i just stuck with my mash paddle.....

I marked my stir spoon years ago. Measure the number of gallons of water into the pot. Put in your tall straight spoon along the edge of the pot. Mark the water level. Take a metal saw and cut a tiny nick in the spoon handle. There you go.

I just got a chunk of wood (oak) stick - 4-sided dowel - and used a knife to make marks at each volume. I only use it for measuring strike / sparge water and during the boil, so I don't worry about anything nasty getting in.
coincidentally I have 4 kettles that don't have marks in them from the factory, so each side is one of those.

I first made a marked tube, but have since landed on using a metal ruler. Since every batch is different, I find it more accurate to just pre-calculate what my measurement should be based on my kettle volume, then just measure it directly on the ruler.

Back