Vodka Soaked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt

Reaction score
I have A blue moon like recipe and it says to saok the corriander and orange in vodka on brew day and strain it in into your bottleing bucket on bottleing day. Has anybody used this method of any kind of application like this? Not sure about putting vodka in my delicious home brew...

I put it in the boil for the couple minutes. They definitely don't put vodka in their beer over at Coors for Blue Moon, and they don't do it that way in Belgium at Hoegaarden either. I would find another Wit recipe, because that one sounds sketchy to me.

I did it per the instructions in Mosher's Radical Brewing. Works great and you can tweak the spice level to flavor. Jamil suggests a similar procedure when making any spice beer.

I have A blue moon like recipe and it says to saok the corriander and orange in vodka on brew day and strain it in into your bottleing bucket on bottleing day. Has anybody used this method of any kind of application like this? Not sure about putting vodka in my delicious home brew...

Nothing wrong with adding vodka, especially if your using a good vodka. It doesn't contribute any taste. The vodka is only used to extract the flavor of the spices and adds a little to the abv.

Should I use as little as possible maybe a cup or less? Still not sure thats what I want to do. Cant I just boil it for 30 mins or so. Am I going to get more flavors out by soaking it vodka?

I use vodka all the time for a vanilla porter I brew. I use very little, but my procedure is to slice 3 beans lengthwise per White Labs vial. I scape out the "caviar" and stuff the beans and caviar in the WL vial. I cover them with vodka for a few days to extract the vanilla and sanitize everything.

I use 3-6 beans per 10 gallons depending on the age of the beans. I buy them in bulk and when I first get them I use 3. They last about 12 months at which point I'm using 6.

i've soaked some semi ground cocoa nibs in my chocolate stout ,, its been there in primary for almost 2 weeks, 3 weeks of prior fermentation. today when i took a whiff of the airlock it smelled a bit like vodka ( i used grey goose) is it possible the vodka had floated to the top and thats what im smelling or have i over done it?

maybe a stupid question but you soak the beans (or whatever) in vodka and then throw the vodka out and just put the beans and spices in, or do you put the actual vodka in as well? and if so how much do you use for say 3 vanilla beans?

Back