VME/Linux based system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephonovich

Reaction score
I will, with luck, be coming into ownership of a VME based trainer. It has an x86 system controller board, digital input/output cards, a digital meter with supporting cards, and most importantly, LVDT and RTD cards.

Now, RTDs are all well and good, but simple thermocouples would be far cheaper and more than adequate for this. My thinking is dump the LVDT cards, and the RTD excitation card. The remaining RTD card is this card. Basically, it accepts up to 64 analog inputs, 10mV - 10V, and has 12 bit resolution.

The unit already runs some form of Linux, probably custom. It's a Dynatem DPC1, which is support by VMELinux.

The digital output could be used to trigger SSRs, I'm pretty sure.

Obviously some programming experience would be required. I'm OK at Java and C++, and could probably figure out what I need for the rest of it.

Thoughts? Is this going to end up being a colossal waste of time, and ultimately inferior to the already implemented solutions?

Back