Visiting Boston Soon Looking for Local Places

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estricklin

Reaction score
The in-laws are in Boston, so I'll have an insider already but was just looking for some suggestions on local breweries I could tour, and some good places to eat. Last time I was there I was just getting into brewing, and the only places I went beer related were to a brewpub in Providence near the train station, and Sam Adams.

Thanks for the advice.

There are a few breweries in the city that you can visit. Trillium does farmhouse beers, Idle Hands does Belgians, Night Shift does mostly sour and Brett stuff, Mystic does saisons, Harpoon is more run of the mill but they have a fun beer hall. Aeronaut is a new one that just opened up and is run by a few MIT grad students. If you can get out of the city, Jacks Abbey is in Framingham.

For bars, I'm more familiar with the Cambridge side since that's where I live. I like Bronwyn a lot for hard to find German beers and great food. Lord Hobo if you want a draft list of 40 beers that are mostly IPAs. Meadhall has around 100 drafts and there's typically at least a few good things on tap there.

There's lots of great food here. Some of the best cheaper hidden gems that I really love are the Druid in Inman Square for the best fish and chips I've ever had; Cafe Mami for Japanese pork katsu curry on par with anything I had in Japan; Coast Cafe in Cambridgeport for truly mind blowing southern style fried chicken. Clover is a unique vegetarian/vegan place of you're looking for something healthier and they have several locations around the city.

In North End, skip mikes pastry and modern and go to Marias. She closes early, though. I like Neptune Oyster in North End a lot as well, but you pretty much have to go there at lunchtime to put your name in for dinner. Regina Pizza and Pomodoro are other good Italian spots in North End.

Don't miss Flour Bakery. You should get breakfast, lunch, or a pastry and coffe there at least once during your visit. I think if I had to recommend one single can't-miss place, Flour would be it.

If you have some money to burn, go to Oleana or Craigie on Main. Salts is another favorite of mine but I think they're still closed for renovations. I often feel that I don't get my money's worth at a lot of high-end restaurants, but I think that these three really are worth the cash.

Those are a few of my favorite places just off the top of my head, but they're just the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, and if you want to see some real killer pickin', check out Duke Levine and Kevin Barry, two local guitar heroes. They play at the Lizard Lounge pretty regularly.

Welcome!

There are a few breweries in the city that you can visit. Trillium does farmhouse beers, Idle Hands does Belgians, Night Shift does mostly sour and Brett stuff, Mystic does saisons, Harpoon is more run of the mill but they have a fun beer hall. Aeronaut is a new one that just opened up and is run by a few MIT grad students. If you can get out of the city, Jacks Abbey is in Framingham.

For bars, I'm more familiar with the Cambridge side since that's where I live. I like Bronwyn a lot for hard to find German beers and great food. Lord Hobo if you want a draft list of 40 beers that are mostly IPAs. Meadhall has around 100 drafts and there's typically at least a few good things on tap there.

There's lots of great food here. Some of the best cheaper hidden gems that I really love are the Druid in Inman Square for the best fish and chips I've ever had; Cafe Mami for Japanese pork katsu curry on par with anything I had in Japan; Coast Cafe in Cambridgeport for truly mind blowing southern style fried chicken. Clover is a unique vegetarian/vegan place of you're looking for something healthier and they have several locations around the city.

In North End, skip mikes pastry and modern and go to Marias. She closes early, though. I like Neptune Oyster in North End a lot as well, but you pretty much have to go there at lunchtime to put your name in for dinner. Regina Pizza and Pomodoro are other good Italian spots in North End.

Don't miss Flour Bakery. You should get breakfast, lunch, or a pastry and coffe there at least once during your visit. I think if I had to recommend one single can't-miss place, Flour would be it.

If you have some money to burn, go to Oleana or Craigie on Main. Salts is another favorite of mine but I think they're still closed for renovations. I often feel that I don't get my money's worth at a lot of high-end restaurants, but I think that these three really are worth the cash.

Those are a few of my favorite places just off the top of my head, but they're just the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, and if you want to see some real killer pickin', check out Duke Levine and Kevin Barry, two local guitar heroes. They play at the Lizard Lounge pretty regularly.

Welcome!

Oh thanks a ton man!

I love sours so I will definitely be checking out Night Shift, though I will probably go to all the ones you mention if I have time. Bronwyn sounds about the best out of the bars you listed, German beers are VERY hard to find here in Arkansas. I mean craft beer in general is hard to find but at least we get a few IPAs now and then.

The fish and chips sound perfect, I love southern food, (as that's what I grew up on), but I have to pass on it a lot these days because I'm in the health game....sigh. Last time I was there I ate a lot of Reubens, and somehow missed a lot of seafood, a mistake I won't make this time. Will definitely want to have at least 1-2 high end meals while I'm there, only live once.

I play the guitar so I'm always down to hear others play! I guess I'll try to catch a Sox game too while I'm there, though I will admit I'm a Cards fan.

Thanks again. Oh and if you know of any good bottle shops, I'm looking to bring some beer back with me as we have a very poor selection here.

I second the Maria's (and Regina's pizza) suggestion, cannolis & a cappuccino. The best! Also the Duke Levine & Kevin Barry suggestion. Duke is as good at is gets on a tele & what Kevin does on a lapsteel is nothing short of amazing. Check them out on YouTube. I will also suggest Island Creek Oyster Bar for the best oysters I have ever had. It's not too far from Fenway & if you are in the area check out the Bleacher Bar, located under center field at Fenway. If there is not a game, they open the roll up door & you can enjoy a pint looking at center field. There is also a good bottle shop within a block of Island Creek. Don't know the name but they had a huge selection of beers. We went to Boston about a year & half ago, great food, great sites...just a great time! Enjoy!!!

Welcome!

Ive been living in the city for 6 months and I learned a lot from this post! Thanks!

Definitely putting my vote in for Idle Hands and Nightshift, awesome beers, awesome people. OP also try some pretty things while you're here. They make some awesome stuff. Harpoon is fun, lots of free beer on the tour, but get there early if you're going on a weekend, the line outside is usually an hour or so, and tours sell out towards the end of the day.

I would also like to put in a bid for Publick house, awesome Belgian selection and decent food.

Cambridge Brewing Company has great beer and great food. It's hopping on weekend nights though, be ready to wait a little.

Hope you like snow!

toward the end of March. Hopefully some of this snow and cold will subside, but I am not holding my breath. I had also heard that a trappist brewery was famous in the area, but cannot remember. I am also looking for some good food and beer while I am in the area.

The Trappist brewery is Spencer, in Spencer, MA, which quite a ways out of Boston. And they only have one beer, which is bottled and available all over Boston. Places in Boston will have it on draft as well.

Sunset Grill and Tap is a good choice if you're looking for a very wide selection of beers to try, but they aren't necessarily local ones. They typically have hundreds of beers.

Oh, and be ready for sticker shock up here, on both food and alcohol. And no happy hours on alcohol.

I also enjoyed Harpoon. One of the better tours I've done. Sam Adams/Boston Beer Co (Jamaica Plain) was a little too commercialized for me.

Miracle of Science is an awesome chem lab-themed bar in Cambridge. Not a terrible walk or cab ride. Good selection if I remember properly.

There's no beer here but an awesome speakeasy-themed bar is called Drink and is on Congress St. The bartenders are walking cocktail dictionaries. Tell them what flavors you like and they'll whip up something really good. Pricey but good atmosphere for one or two drinks.

I also enjoyed Harpoon. One of the better tours I've done. Sam Adams/Boston Beer Co (Jamaica Plain) was a little too commercialized for me.

Miracle of Science is an awesome chem lab-themed bar in Cambridge. Not a terrible walk or cab ride. Good selection if I remember properly.

There's no beer here but an awesome speakeasy-themed bar is called Drink and is on Congress St. The bartenders are walking cocktail dictionaries. Tell them what flavors you like and they'll whip up something really good. Pricey but good atmosphere for one or two drinks.

Don't forget the proximity of good beer from Maine and Vermont too. Check the bottle list of some bars. You may find some Hill Farmstead if you're lucky and are willing to pay for it.

I second the Maria's (and Regina's pizza) suggestion, cannolis & a cappuccino. The best! Also the Duke Levine & Kevin Barry suggestion. Duke is as good at is gets on a tele & what Kevin does on a lapsteel is nothing short of amazing. Check them out on YouTube. I will also suggest Island Creek Oyster Bar for the best oysters I have ever had. It's not too far from Fenway & if you are in the area check out the Bleacher Bar, located under center field at Fenway. If there is not a game, they open the roll up door & you can enjoy a pint looking at center field. There is also a good bottle shop within a block of Island Creek. Don't know the name but they had a huge selection of beers. We went to Boston about a year & half ago, great food, great sites...just a great time! Enjoy!!!

I LOVE oysters so I will have to check that out. I love watching steel players, I have one but it's sort of like my banjo, don't play it enough as I should.

toward the end of March. Hopefully some of this snow and cold will subside, but I am not holding my breath. I had also heard that a trappist brewery was famous in the area, but cannot remember. I am also looking for some good food and beer while I am in the area.

I won't be there until the first or 2nd week of May I think, just about to buy plain tickets actually.

Don't forget the proximity of good beer from Maine and Vermont too. Check the bottle list of some bars. You may find some Hill Farmstead if you're lucky and are willing to pay for it.

I am going to save enough money so that I can live it up while I"m there. :)

Trillium is a must. They make some world class ipas and pales (double dry hopped fort point ale is one of my all time favorites). They don't do tours yet but the beers are well worth the stop. As for finding any of the big vermont beers (heady, lawsons, HF) in a bar or botttle shop your chances are slim to none and slim just left the building. If you put some leg work in theres a chance you could set up a bottle swap with a bostonian that has some but with all the options already available, I'd say your better off just enjoying what the city has to offer. Either way, enjoy your trip!

I LOVE oysters so I will have to check that out. I love watching steel players, I have one but it's sort of like my banjo, don't play it enough as I should.

Where I live we have access to Apalachicola oysters, which are some of the finest & tastiest oysters but the oysters I had in Boston were the best I have ever tasted. And feel you pain about the banjo, mine just hangs on the wall & I hardly ever play it. Have fun on your trip!

Check out the green dragon. One of the first taverns. I had a brew there, pretty cool. Then again I'm big into history.

Back