Violently active fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
So I've been brewing off and on for a few years. A batch here and there basically.

Yesterday I brewed a batch of Irish Stout. I got an extract kit from northern brewer. I had an extra 6lbs of LME kicking around and wanted to bump up the ABV a little.

The kit estimated OG 1.042 so I added about 4lbs. of extra LME. When I checked OG before pitching my yeast it was 1.062. My yeast was hydrated in water and I didn't do a starter.

Fermentation started within 2 hours. This morning I woke up and the entire top of my big mouth bubbler was popped off. The "S" air lock couldn't handle it. I cleaned everything up and put on a blow out tube venting into a bottle of sanitizer. That lasted for about 5 minutes before the tube got plugged and it blew the top off again.

Currently the top is lightly sitting on top until fermentation is slowed and I plan on sanitizing and cleaning everything up and putting an airlock back on.

I am guessing my brew will be okay assuming i get an airlock back on as soon as this violent fermentation is done.

Any pointer from experts for next time?

First, start ALL your fermentations with a blow off tube installed.

Second, look into fermentation temperature control. Look up swamp cooler. 70 - 72 ambient could allow your fermentation temperatures to rise near 80 degrees which is too warm for most ale yeasts. Your beers will be better if you control the temperature.

First, start ALL your fermentations with a blow off tube installed.

Second, look into fermentation temperature control. Look up swamp cooler. 70 - 72 ambient could allow your fermentation temperatures to rise near 80 degrees which is too warm for most ale yeasts. Your beers will be better if you control the temperature.

In this case the blow off tube still was ineffective. I removed the airlock this morning and put on a blow off tube and it still popped the top with the build up of foam

What yeast? S-04? That will do it especially if it isn’t temp controlled. I tried the big mouth bubbler lid once and ditched it. I also ditched the bubbler and try all kinds of different fermentors and I finally went back to the good old glass carboy and I haven’t looked back.

I use the bubblers with their carrying harness. I have one of the loops going over the top and don't have a problem with the new style cover staying on. The end of the blow off tube, is it a one inch tube and just under the water and also not effectively capped off by the bottom of the container the solution is in?

Back