Vienna Smash your thoughts please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew_ny

Social_Misfit
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to brew an all grain Vienna Smash on Sunday

I had thought about using Cascade or Northern Brewer as the hops but I have been wanting to try the Saaz I have

I was thinking something like this

Original Gravity: 1.047

Final Gravity: 1.011

IBU (tinseth): 22.13

SRM (morey): 5.84

Boil Time: 60 min

Batch Size: 11.5 gallons

Boil Size: 12.5 gallons

Boil Gravity: 1.044

21 pounds German Vienna

2oz Saaz pellets 60 mins

2oz Saaz pellets 20 mins

2oz Saaz pellets 5 mins

Irish moss at 15 mins

mashing for 60 mins at 150 with 1.25 quarts a pound

just not sure about what to mash at or the hops

I am going to use a couple packages of Nottingham and keep it at 64-66 degrees

any help, advice or input would very much welcomed

all the best and enjoy the day

S_M

I think it looks pretty good. For my own taste buds, I would probably split up that last hop addition to 1ounce at 5 mins, and 1 ounce after boil. With a batch size that large, I would actually probably increase it to 1oz at 5, 1oz at 2, and 2oz after boil. Either way though - I think it'll be a nice beer.

Looks good. Vienna is really flavorful but I think I'd mash a bit higher to add some body and mouthfeel to it. I think I'm usually between 154-156 on SMaSH beers.

Thanks for the replies I was thinking it might be better to mash higher then lower to get a beer with a bit more body

I wanted to try the Vienna because of the fact is suppose to be flavorful and then do a Munich next

I had thought of using Perle for the hops as I have used them in an APA and IPA and loved the flavor

2 ozs at flame out might be the ticket I like a beer with nice hops

would you do a hop stand to give it a bit more ?

all the best

S_M

2 ozs at flame out might be the ticket I like a beer with nice hops

would you do a hop stand to give it a bit more ?

all the best

S_M

All you have to do is ensure that you add the final hops after the wort has stopped steaming. This is usually somewhere around 170-180deg or so. Add them and stir them in - or do a whirlpool - and as long as they spend more than 5-10 minutes or so in the wort, you will extract all the flavor you need.

Some people let them sit for 20minutes or more, but it isn't necessary. As long as you use pellets, they will dissolve into the wort and the oils will come out reallly quickly at this temperature. If you use flower hops post-boil, they could use some extra time in the wort. Either way - you don't need to spend too much time before you cool and drain.

Looks fantastic...Vienna and Saaz, wow what a great combo. I think you will love it. Should be an easy drinker but with enough character to keep you coming back. If you have any BMC friends, they will love it too.

:mug:

I just brewed it up Saturday morning, smelled great boiling and the sample tasted so good

it has a very nice color, I am using some washed Nottingham and it is bubbling away at 66 degrees

I mashed at 156 for 60 minutes and was a bit short on the boil volume so I had to add a half gallon of water

but my OG was 1.054 going into the fermenter so my efficiency was much better then the 70% I used for a number

mashed in a 70 quart cooler lined with a window sheer so I can still use it as a cooler :) kinda a BIAB but not so much

it has worked well nice clear wort and drains fast

should be in the glass in about 14 days give or take, I hope to do a Munich smash on Tuesday just not sure on the hops

I may use Perle but I have been thinking maybe Hallertau, I will be sure to let you all know how this one comes out

I am drinking Yopper's house pale ale grain bill done with perle/ctz/casade/Willamette that rocks

I dry hopped it with perle/cascade/Willamette love the taste more of an IPA

all the best

S_M

So I brewed my all grain Vienna Smash on Saturday, I went with the Saaz for the hops with a schedule of

2 ozs at 60 mins

2 ozs at 20 mins

2 ozs at 5 mins

2 ozs at flame out (170 degrees)

it smelled great boiling and the sample going into the fermenter tasted very good

it is bubbling away with some washed Nottingham yeast at 66 degrees wort temp

So I have 11.75 gallons going now and have an empty second fermenter I wanted to fill to get my pipeline filled up somewhat

I was thinking something like this

Munich smash

Original Gravity: 1.051

Final Gravity: 1.012

IBU (tinseth): 23.98

SRM (morey): 15.50

Batch Size: 11.5 gallons

Boil Size: 12.5 gallons

Boil Gravity: 1.047

22.5 pounds German Dark Munich

2oz Domestic Hallertau pellets 60 mins

2oz Domestic Hallertau pellets 20 mins

2oz Domestic Hallertau pellets 5 mins

2oz Domestic Hallertau pellets flame out (170 degrees)

Irish moss at 15 mins

mashing for 60 mins at 156 with 1.25 quarts a pound

washed Nottingham and keeping it at 64-66 degrees

basically the same as the Vienna but with the dark Munich and Domestic Hallertau for the hops

any thoughts or advice would be outstanding

all the best and have a great day

S_M

I like what your doing with your recipes - those sound really interesting, and good. I've never used dark munich in that amount, but I bet it will be really good.

I've used US Hallertau before, but I wasn't a huge fan. Maybe they weren't fresh or something - but didn't have the flavor I was hoping for. Since you are going to use the US variety, maybe consider using Liberty or Crystal?

I'm not saying US Hallertau is "bad" - it's just that I didn't have the best experience when I used them. Whatever you choose though, that recipe looks good to me. :)

Munich smash

Original Gravity: 1.051

Final Gravity: 1.012

IBU (tinseth): 25.98

SRM (morey): 15.50

Batch Size: 11.75 gallons

Boil Size: 13 gallons

Boil Gravity: 1.047

22.5 pounds German Dark Munich

1.6 oz Mt. Hood pellets FWH

1.6 oz Mt. Hood pellets 30 mins

1.6 oz Mt. Hood pellets 12 mins

1.6 oz Mt. Hood pellets 5 mins

Irish moss at 15 mins

mashing for 60 mins at 156 with 1.25 quarts a pound

washed Nottingham and keeping it at 64-66 degrees

so I brewed this on Sunday first time I have tried First Wort Hopping love the taste of the gravity sample

This brew is my 7th 11.5 gallon batch since 7-11-2013 and third all grain brew if this one turns out as good as the sample I tasted I will be way happy :)

I have my Vienna Smash in the kegs but not on gas yet :( but soon, I bought a hop filter from Arbor Fabricating what a great piece of workmanship very nicely built and works well

http://arborfab.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Chad is quick to ship and super to deal with

I also pickup a wort chiller from NY Brew Supply, I went with their 1/2 inch by 50 foot with compression fittings very nice chiller for the price works great cooling down my 13 gallon boils

I priced copper tubing and compression fitting it would have cost me more to build one then buying it from them, they were quick to ship and very helpful

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/beer-ho...ort-chiller-garden-hose-fittings-12-x-50.html

I was going to brew tomorrow but I will wait until Thursday and I will be brewing a porter, I was going to brew a pale ale malt smash but I found a Shallow Grave clone recipe so I am doing that instead

all the best and enjoy the day

S_M

The Vienna Smash looks very similar to my ofest recipe with way more late additions hops, and british yeast. Should be tasty.

The Vienna Smash looks very similar to my ofest recipe with way more late additions hops, and british yeast. Should be tasty.

I will be sure to let you know I just put a keg on gas last night and should be drinking it Friday

I am doing a pale malt kinda blonde ale tomorrow with a Perle/Cascade/Willamette for hops to just give me something a bit different

S_M

Good Day so I started drinking my Vienna Smash on Friday (9-27-2013) it tastes great I love the taste of the Vienna malt, it has a warm toasty flavor but very clean

I am glad I mashed it at 156 gave it a nice fullness

the Saaz hops have a spicy flavor but not bitter at all, very good drinking beer would work well during the hotter months

I will brew again for sure with all Vienna I think I would like to try it with Perle hops

I will put up a couple of photos it looks great in the glass

all the best and have a great day

S_M

twoup1.jpg

twoup2.jpg

Good Day I just kicked my second keg of Vienna SMaSh :) but I will be brewing it again on Tuesday with Perle as the hops this time

I am drinking a the pale ale not SMaSh I brew with an APA hop schedule but to the numbers of a bolnde ale with just pale malt for the grain bill

it tastes great and I have my Munich SMaSH on gas right now I tried a glass of the Munich flat but cold and I just love the taste of Munich I used Mt. Hood as the hops in that one

here is a couple of shots of the the Pale Ale not SMaSH, I also brewed up a stout on Saturday

all the best

S_M

jpg2.jpg

jpg5.jpg

Hi,
It's my first post here!
Did you make the smash vienna with perle?
I have a plan to make it with k97 yeast. If it turns out good, I like to try it with Nottingham as well.
Smash is a good way to learn ingridients.
Any hint would be great....

It's been 8 years since OP posted here, but since we're exhuming a zombie thread, I can put in my $.02 worth. I did a SMaSH with Vienna and Liberty a few years ago, pitching WY2565. Made a great Kolsch-like beer and turned out to be one of my favorite SMaSH.

I think Vienna, Perle and K-97 would be an excellent combination, and would likely yield a beer similar to mine. Notty would be good, too, but would be more neutral.

Hi,
Today is the 11th day of the fermentation process. When do you recommend kegging it?
I made a mistake with the ph and added so much calcium chloride and for some reason, the fermentation was so strong at 19.5 degrees celsius for the first three days!

Back