Double IPA Victory Dirt Wolf Double IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Calf. Ale WLP001
Yeast Starter
Yes - 1.6L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Stir Plate for 36 hrs.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-8
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Very Hoppy-- pineapple, grapefruit, piney-- Light Malt flavor and Delicious !
Grains:
16# Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.5# Carapils
Hops:
1.0 oz Chinook @65
1.0 oz Simcoe @ 40
1.0 oz Mosaic @25
1.0 oz Citra @25
1.0 oz Mosaic @10
1.0 oz Citra @10
1.0 oz Citra @ 1
(*Irish Moss @ 15)
2.0 oz Citra-- Dry Hop for 7 days

My Efficiency is 65%-70% so adjust your grain bill accordingly.

-Mash in 5.75 gal of 170 deg strike for a mash rest of 150-152 for 60 min.
-Collected 3.25 gal First Runnings
-Batch Sparge 4.0 gal to collect 7.1 pre-boil

Make Sure you use a blowoff tube with this big beer!!

This beer really turned out nice. It finishes at about 8.6% abv.

I have been thinking about trying to clone this beer. Is this just an attempt to clone or did you get some inside info from Victory. They wouldn't give me any info at all aside from the hops they use.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No inside info. I just brewed this myself and kegged it. It really came out nice. I was very pleased. I used Chinook as my bittering hop then I figured I would use Citra,Mosaic and Simcoe for flavor. The Citra dry hop also added an amazing aroma. Those were the hops listed on their website. It was the first time I ever used Mosaic hops, and as it turns out, I was happy with their flavor profile. The color was almost spot on too. I wanted a very low malt backbone so the citrusy hops can stand out, and they certainly did. Well worth the try on this one. I'm gunna brew this one again soon, since it isn't lasting very long.

Yeah, I saw that as well. I wasn't sure how that would affect my clone, but it didn't seem to matter that much.

Yeah, I saw that as well. I wasn't sure how that would affect my clone, but it didn't seem to matter that much.

Probably minimal with the amount of hop character the beer has. Have you done a side by side tasting of the clone vs the real thing?

Yes, I did a side by side tasting and they were very close. I actually thought my clone had better aroma and slightly better flavor, but I was probably just being partially biased to my homebrew. Regardless, they were both very good. I really enjoy the Dirt Wolf, and I am not always a huge fan of Victory beers, but they got that one right.

I was going to mention the 2row part to but it probably doesn't matter much in the finished product. I would imagine they are using a Pilsner base since that seems to be their default base malt, but may be in conjunction with some Pale Malt.

Here's a pic of the Homebrew.

dirt wolf.jpg

I would like your recommendation on extract to use for this recipe. I haven't venture into all grains even though I have been home brewing on and off since the mid-80's.

Thanks

Tim

Sorry, I can't help with the extract version. I hope someone else who reads this might be able to help though. good luck!

I'm not a big fan of using cara pils in my recipes. Would prefer to use a little crystal instead. I have a lot of pilsner malt to use. Was thinking of subbing the 2 row for pilsner and the carapils with maybe 8 oz of crystal 10 or 20. Any ideas of a crystal sub for the carapils ? Thanks.

Ya know, this was the first time I have ever used carapils. I usually use Crystal 10, so I was not exactly sure what to expect. I actually enjoyed the carapils in this recipe, but I'm sure crystal 10 or 20 would be just fine. I also prefer the 2-row over pilsner. Sometimes when I use too much pilsner malt, I get that regular commercial beer flavor that I try to avoid. I don't know, that's just me. However, give those substitutions a try if you want and see how it turns out. Sometimes that's when you get a great beer. I think the majority of the great flavors come from the hops in this recipe and the malts just seem to keep the SRM low. Let me know how it turns out. Good Luck!

I would like your recommendation on extract to use for this recipe. I haven't venture into all grains even though I have been home brewing on and off since the mid-80's.

Thanks

Tim

Just use extra light DME. Add a third at the beginning of the boil and the rest with 10 minutes left.

I'm interested in extract also. Why would you put in DME at two different times? And what would you guess the amount substituted would be? Like 9lbs DME?

Curious if the hops you used were pellet or whole? I usually assume pellet but knowing Victory is adamant about the whole flower I had to ask. I would love to take a shot at this clone recipe myself in the near future. Thank you for sharing.

I used pellet hops. I seem to get more flavor and better aroma with them. Also, not exactly sure how I got 94% attenuation. I couldn't control my fermentation temps and it was a little cooler in my basement then usual.

I'm interested in extract also. Why would you put in DME at two different times? And what would you guess the amount substituted would be? Like 9lbs DME?

Without using a recipecalculator or some math, 8 or 9 lbs will be about right.
A good rule of thumb is one lb dme for 1% abv when using a good attenuating yeast.

Its common practice to add a good portion of your extract near the end of the boil. It helps with hop utilization and many say it reduces the twang that is sometimes present in extract brews

Had this for the first time last week on draft i loved it. To me it was dank as hell and didn't have citrus tones until it warmed up

Hey man, I just used your recipe to brew my first ever all-grain beer and I gotta say...job well done! This beer is awesome! Great reviews from all my friends as well. I am currently fermenting batch #2 for Phish tour. Thanks for posting!

HippoBrewery-- awesome to hear!! I love this beer as well. I think the mosaic hops make it. Phish tour--- nice-- enjoy that as well!!

Just brewed this about a month ago and this beer is VERY good. Just brew it, you won't regret it. Mine came in at 1.089 OG finishing with an abv of 9.3% alc. It is very well balanced and goes down quite easily. I would never guess such a high IBU for something so smooth

Any recent reports on this. Thinking of brewing this as I just drank one yesterday and loved it.

Yeah...BUMP. Anyone else brewed this? Made any changes?

I loved this beer on tap.

Ooh I don't know how I missed this recipe. Putting it on my to brew list.

Also any dry yeast recommendations? I don't have a stir plate to make I starter I usually just pitch two packs of dry instead. Would Nottingham or either S-04/05 be ok to use for this or does it have to be the Cali Ale yeast specifically?

This is going to be my 4th brew I've done and I have yet to create a yeast starter (I know, I know...) but would you guys suggest pitching two white labs WLP001 or would one still turn out OK?

This is going to be my 4th brew I've done and I have yet to create a yeast starter (I know, I know...) but would you guys suggest pitching two white labs WLP001 or would one still turn out OK?

This beer is to big to not use a starter. You would prob need closer to 3 or 4 vials without a starter. It would be cheaper to just use 2 pks of dry yeast. Otherwise make a proper starter.

Recipe looks amazing. Out of curiosity, have you done a side by side, and how close is it to the original?

I hope to be brewing this up this weekend, with the following tweaks:

-Lowering the 2row bill and using table sugar to get it dryed out a bit (OP how the heck did you get down to 1.005 FG?!?)
-Adding a little bit of acid malt
-Swapping out Columbus for simcoe since I don’t have any on hand (I have all other ingredients)
-Pitching on partial US-05 yeast cake (blowoff tube suggestion duly noted)

I have the recipe set up (and ingredients available) for a 10 gallon batch but the mashing will be difficult and Im really not sure that it will all get drank in a reasonable amount of time (i.e. before the hops fade). I may end up trying some sort of partigle instead, with 5 gallons of this being first batch and then adding grains to do a 10 gallon low gravity batch afterward.

Brewed a rendition of this today, ended up a little low on OG, 1.072. Ended up adjusting the hop schedule a bit (late hops got hop stand at 160) and adding some chinook in the stand too.

The wort was deliciously hoppy!

Back