Very Very basic question, regarding wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
I have only made a couple batches of beer, and I have never quite been sure about the wort going from the kettle into the primary. I've not seen this referenced before, though I am sure someone has asked somewhere.

The batches were steeped grain and LME.

At the bottom of the kettle after the boil, there is a lot of gunk (hops and grain stuff). Is this part of the wort to put into the primary or should this be left in the kettle for disposal?

No you don't want the gunk in the fermenter.

The trick to this is to gently woolpool the wort after the cool down, Then do what is called a cold break rest for abought 10min.
as the wort stops spinning the gunk will collect and settle to the center of the boil kettle.
So with all the junk settled to the center of the kettle you can easily siphon the clear wort from the outside
edge of the kettle with an auto siphon.

It's called trub and is made up of husks, dust, other grain material and hop material (depending on how you add hops, using a bag or not). There's debate as to whether or not it is harmful/helpful but the general consensus is it's neither bad nor good. Some say put it into the fermenter because it has yeast nutrient. Some say don't put it in because it will make it harder to get your beer clear later in the process. Do what makes you happy.

It's called trub and is made up of husks, dust, other grain material and hop material (depending on how you add hops, using a bag or not). There's debate as to whether or not it is harmful/helpful but the general consensus is it's neither bad nor good. Some say put it into the fermenter because it has yeast nutrient. Some say don't put it in because it will make it harder to get your beer clear later in the process. Do what makes you happy.

+1 to this. When I first started I tried to strain it out. The strainer inevitably gets clogged which only adds stress to the process. So, I just started dumping it in. Now that I have a kettle with a dip tube, I whirlpool and draw off leaving the trub. Nonetheless, I can't say I've noticed any difference in the beers where I dumped it in and those I didn't.

Grain and malt in large muslin or nylon bag, Hops in small muslin bags, the only trub I get at the bottom of the boil is the proteins that fall out after using Irish moss last 15 min of the boil.

Large strainer collects that quite well in transferring from pot to fermenter

i try to strain as much of that gunk as possible when transferring wort to the fermentor. I dont get crazy about it, i only use a bazooka tube in the kettle and the strainer piece that fits in my funnel

Back