Very Tart Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criggs85

Reaction score
So I just made my first ever batch from fresh pressed cider from my local brewing supply store it started with a 1.060 OG and after stalling for a couple weeks at 1.004 I decided to bottle it out of my secondary. It had a very nice apple aroma still but was dry and very tart. I hope I didn't bottle it too soon and get bottle bombs and I'm also hoping the tartness mellows down after aging in the bottles. I plan on cracking one every now and then to check on the carbonation levels and flavor. Has anyone had a overly tart cider mellow out?

It probably won't mellow much. Carbonation might add even more acidity (in the form of carbonic acid). Best you might be able to hope for is a malolactic bacteria to convert some of the acid... if there is any of this bacteria in there. If you didn't add it, who knows, might get lucky, might not.

When I made my first cider, at first it tasted very tart. Coming out of the primary it was not very nice to drink. It improved quite a bit after 6-8 months. I also back sweeten my cider a little bit because it helps to bring out the apple flavor.

Have you checked the pH? If that is in a good range (3.4 to 3.6), then acid is not your problem and it will probably improve with age. My cider made from fresh pressed apples or store bought apple juice has never been too acidic. But juice from very tart apples might be a different story.

When I made my first cider, at first it tasted very tart. Coming out of the primary it was not very nice to drink. It improved quite a bit after 6-8 months. I also back sweeten my cider a little bit because it helps to bring out the apple flavor.

Have you checked the pH? If that is in a good range (3.4 to 3.6), then acid is not your problem and it will probably improve with age. My cider made from fresh pressed apples or store bought apple juice has never been too acidic. But juice from very tart apples might be a different story.

I will check the pH tomorrow. I have a basic testing kit for that and have never used it but thank you for the good point! I also have been reading about malolactic fermentation and the bonuses of that but sounds like that is a crap shoot now that I already bottled it.

Back