Very low hop/no hop beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
I just let SWMBO try my stout, and she made her usual "eww" face after tasting it. My predicted IBU for the stout was about 27, and it got me to thinking. Has anyone ever made a beer without hops, or perhaps with just finishing hops for flavor/aroma? I'm just curious if this would be any good, or if anyone has any stories to share about attempts.

I havent made a full batch of hopless beer, but I have drank the liquid from yeast starters. I havent been too impressed so far.

Try brewing her a mild or maybe she'd like scotich ales.

- magno

Well, I've got my raspberry quarter-wheat coming up in a couple weeks, and then a peanut butter brown I think she might enjoy. Next year I'm going to brew a very light blonde ale using only crystal hops; I have high hopes for that one.

Find a low IBU wheat beer (most are?) and that might be good for the SWMBO. I have seen many wheat recipes with only 8-15 IBU...

If you really want to brew something without hops, you could try brewing some Yarrow Ale as described in Papazians Complete Joy book... Not sure how bitter the yarrow flower makes beer, but its one of the few beers I can think of without any hops. Never tried it, but might try sometime.

Generally speaking you need SOME hops (or bittering plant/flowers) to somewhat offset the malts or you'll be making very sweet beers.

A malt beverage made without hops is called a gruit or gruet. There are many recipes out there.

You might consider making a Mild, they can turn many a BMC lover.

An olde called AK:

5 lbs pale malt for all grain or 4.5 pounds Pale LME
1.25 oz. chocolate malt
8 oz flaked corn
1 lb brewer's sugar

1 oz. Goldings or East Kent Golding at 60 minutes

A neutral, high attenuation yeast works best.

The IBUs are around 15.

david_42 said:
A malt beverage made without hops is called a gruit or gruet. There are many recipes out there.

You might consider making a Mild, they can turn many a BMC lover.

Ha, my first beer, intended to be a Belgain Dubbel, came out falling into the Mild category, due to a mathematical error by my first homebrewing tutor. He converted 8.5lbs of 2-row into 3lbs of LME. She didn't dig the mild too much, although the IBUs for that were still over 20. It has been my most popular beer so far, even though it was my least favorite personally.

I have been considering the scotch or cream ale route as well. Anything that fits under the umbrella of small beer would probably be best. What a shame.

Back