Very hot brew day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Man it was hot out there today. Brewed up 15 gallons of Munich Dunkel on the RIMS setup. Smoothest brew day to date. No problems, no screw-ups!
Here's my recipe:

#57 Munich Dunkel
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
Efficiency: 70.00 %

4 lbs Munich Malt (8.5 SRM) 39.51 %
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.0 SRM) 39.51 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Dark Munich Malt (16.0 SRM) 17.28 %
4.0 oz Caramunich (47.0 SRM) 2.47 %
2.0 oz Carafa II, Dehusked (430.0 SRM) 1.23 %
0.25 oz Hallertau [4.30 %] (75 min) (FWH) 3.9 IBU
0.75 oz Spalt [5.60 %] (60 min) 16.9 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertau [4.30 %] (15 min) 4.6 IBU
1 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min)
Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [Starter 2000 ml]

Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Color: 14.6 SRM
Bitterness: 25.4 IBU

Dough In:17.72 qts water, 133F/15 min
Saacrification: 150F/60 min
Mash Out: 168F/10 min

I was tempted to brew today, but too hot here in Milford, CT. I have an imperial stout on deck waiting patiently....
Cheers!!

I can't wait for September to kick up the brewing again...
I have on tap- Belgian Golden Strong Ale, Denny's Rye IPA and NothernBrewer 115th Hopbursted IPA>

I also have a clone of Saison Dupont in the conical. I'm really looking forward to this one to finish and then keg condition.
Cheers!!

If I waited until the temperature was more moderate (in the 80's) I'd be waiting until October. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and brew no matter what the temperature is. It has been in the 90's here almost every day since the middle of May.

Waaah. Suck it up marine. Uncle Sam needs some brew and you're gonna make it for him. Pick up that f#^&ing mash paddle and f#$%^ing stir those f*&^%ing doughballs. Hot? HOT? I'll give you HOT. How's about tracers buzzing your f$%^ing head as the japs rain hot metal on your azz while running up a beach on Tarawa while your friends explode left and right. HOT? You worm you haven't seen hot. To the quarterdeck, panzy... HOT? WTF. I'll show you hot. Start digging... mountain climbers.... hot? HOT? think Dan Daly complained when it got hot? Howz about I have the commandant's wife bring you some iced lemonade. Yea, that'd be nice. HOT? You puke you think Chesty Puller needed air conditioning are your f$%^&ing kidding me HOT?

I think that's what the gunny would have said. Me, I happen to agree with you, brewing in this heat sucks (but I do it anyway).

If I waited until the temperature was more moderate (in the 80's) I'd be waiting until October. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and brew no matter what the temperature is. It has been in the 90's here almost every day since the middle of May.

Same here, we often don't get our first frost until early December. I picked my last hops on Dec. 9th last year. Worst thing about living in most of the south is having literally 2 - 4 weeks of spring and fall. Brave the temps fellas, it's only sweat!

Schlante,
Phillip

Brewing on a 110F day. Misters and lots of water to stay hydrated.

DSC_0034.jpg

+1

It's going to be pushing a 100 today (heat index ~110ish) and I need to get my Oktoberfest & Festbier brewed now so they can be ready for my Oktoberfest party at the end of September. :mug:

Also +1, it's hot here.
Misters ...to stay hydrated.
Should've thought of that; we have one somewhere...
Oktoberfest party at the end of September.
You a Carolina Brewmasters member? I've been in NC for going on 12 years and haven't made it yet, but have heard the Brewmasters' Oktoberfest party is the bomb.

I'm not a member but I'm on their email list and I follow their activities. I to have not made it out to their Oktoberfest, yet.

Latest posts

Back