Very cloudy first Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHW39

Reaction score
Hi there, just done my first cider without a kit but i have a couple of questions, any advice much appreciated.
recipe was
4.5L ASDA (Walmart) apple juice from concentrate (was clear when added, had no preservatives in it)
1/2 cup strong tea
1tsp pectolase
yeast.
it's 1st ferment brewed out great but is very cloudy, so i added another spoon of pectolase but no change.
it's current gravity is just below 1.000 and has been stead for several days

I want to bottle this for secondary fermentation to add some fizz but;
will it clear if i bottle it now?
should i get it clearer before bottling ?
should i rack it off first before bottling ?
if i put it somewhere cooler to clear and then bottle and prime will 2nd fermentation start when put back into a warm place?

picky of it now attached.

thanks Paul.

1st cider.jpg

You don't need any pectolase; save your money. :)

What yeast did you use? It will drop out eventually, but it might take a while if it's a non-flocculant variety. I see bubbles at the top, so the yeast probably isn't finished.

Sparkolloid would knock it out in a week or less.

How long has it been sitting in total? Have you transfered this from the primary vessel at all?

I had fairly cloudy cider for about 2 weeks, at about 4 weeks it started to drop, I cold crashed it out on my patio (went down to around 30ish) for I think I had it out there for a 2 nights keeping it nice and cold. Sometimes you may need to transfer it off the lees (trub/yeast) and should help to start clearing it.

I would leave it for longer depending on how long you've had it in primary. From your picture it doesn't look like much lees have settled out yet so I would be led to think it hasnt been sitting for very long/yeast isnt quite done yet. Cold crashing got my cider to clear out really really nicely.

It isn't done yet, don't get ahead of yourself. The bubbles alone tell you that the process isn't over. Even after the yeasts convert the sugars, they still play a role in cleaning up the cider, by removing chemicals that can produce off-flavors.

The cider also needs to off-gas before it will clear. Their is a lot of CO2 in suspension after fermentation completes which will prevent clearing. I would give it another week in your primary, then rack it into a secondary until it clears. The racking will help it off-gas. The longer you secondary the better your cider will be. Cold crashing the secondary after a week or two should speed things along if needed.

You can also just shake the primary to off-gas it. I did that with a beer that was stuck; it dropped a whole bunch of sediment overnight and the yeast took off again. Now (a few days later) it's starting to clear.

Back