Very Beginner Kombucha Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVESKI

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a homebrewer but my wife has recently started to try to get into making kombucha. I know nothing about it and she just knows a little bit about it from her friend that told her how to do it and gave her the scoby(sp?)

She was looking online for a place to ask some questions and to my surprise she came across this site so I figured I would ask for her.

The first time she did it, it came out really sweet so she dumped it. From my experience as a homebrewer it seems like the fermentation stalled, but not sure if it's the same here. She used a 1 gallon pickle jar and put in 1 cup of sugar and then put a washcloth rag on top instead of the lid. I guess this functions similar to an airlock in homebrewing? Let's the CO2 out without oxygen getting in? Is oxidation a problem in making kombucha?

So here is her 2nd try and after 6 days we checked the pH level and it's probably somewhere between 4 and 5. Her concerns are that the "baby separated from the mother" and that the "baby has a couple of white fizzy spots on it". She did move it around some though so that could be why.

Do these sound like logical concerns? I've attached some pictures.

qgwhL0M.jpg

gOxEMFb.jpg

QgPGBE8.jpg

CMaY7nd.jpg

H4vkScI.jpg

The SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria and Yeast) will form on the top of the tea, creating a natural seal so that the gas cannot escape. The mother SCOBY can be submerged, that is no problem. A few things to consider, make sure you are keeping your vessel in a dark place free of any likely bacteria and out of direct sunlight. Please note, kombucha loves as much undisturbed rest as possible. It's okay to check out your kombucha periodically. There's nothing better than ensuring it is free of mold and flies.

Please keep in mind that I have only been brewing for a few months, but it has been successful due to immense research and most importantly patience.

Looking at your SCOBY, I don't see anything that sticks out as odd. (If it is furry, or if you see anything that resembles mold, throw it out.) Do a Google image search for SCOBY and compare yours to others. Kombucha should start to smell like vinegar after about a week and will get a stronger smell the longer you let it sit. I initially started brewing with those small white clothes like you are using but I am moving toward coffee filters, as I believe they provide better airflow and are much more sanitary.

How long has it been fermenting? What is the average temperature with you are keeping your vessel? Usually with a smaller container it will take a little bit longer than batches with a larger opening.

The air bubbles on top are perfectly normal. Here is a picture of our first baby SCOBY after a couple of weeks. (Notice the completely submerged mother SCOBY.) It looks extremely healthly.

10383642_10202583288758184_6940416524570645799_n.jpg

I hope this helps, and more importantly, best of luck brewing!

Thanks for the detailed response. The things we've been seeing make a lot more sense now. I think we're in good shape and we'll just let it sit for longer.

It's been fermenting for about 6 days and in a room that is probably between 70-75 and no sunlight.

How long do you usually let yours ferment before bottling? After you bottle should it be refrigerated right away to prevent further fermentation or can it sit at room temperature?

Thanks for the detailed response. The things we've been seeing make a lot more sense now. I think we're in good shape and we'll just let it sit for longer.

It's been fermenting for about 6 days and in a room that is probably between 70-75 and no sunlight.

How long do you usually let yours ferment before bottling? After you bottle should it be refrigerated right away to prevent further fermentation or can it sit at room temperature?

I think that what you are seeing looks about right after around 6 days. Temperatures around 70º-75ºF is about average for us as well. The first batch we made, we let sit undisturbed for 2 weeks. Our last batch we let sit for about 3 weeks and I think the pH was about 3.2 or 3.4 before we bottled. (We have a 'kombucha log' that we fill out each time so we know exactly what we did and adjust it accordingly for each batch.) When bottling, we use frozen organic fruit with 1/2 teaspoon of sucanat per 16oz bottle. We do a secondary fermentation. This secondary fermentation includes letting it sit in bottles in the same, dark place for around 4-5 days. After they sit for about 4 days, we move them to the fridge and drink them at our leisure. I *think* the secondary fermentation will help build carbonation, but I'm not too sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I think that what you are seeing looks about right after around 6 days. Temperatures around 70º-75ºF is about average for us as well. The first batch we made, we let sit undisturbed for 2 weeks. Our last batch we let sit for about 3 weeks and I think the pH was about 3.2 or 3.4 before we bottled. (We have a 'kombucha log' that we fill out each time so we know exactly what we did and adjust it accordingly for each batch.) When bottling, we use frozen organic fruit with 1/2 teaspoon of sucanat per 16oz bottle. We do a secondary fermentation. This secondary fermentation includes letting it sit in bottles in the same, dark place for around 4-5 days. After they sit for about 4 days, we move them to the fridge and drink them at our leisure. I *think* the secondary fermentation will help build carbonation, but I'm not too sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Thanks! You cap the bottles during secondary fermentation with the fruit, correct? She had me pick up some frozen fruit so I think she wants to try some with and some without when it's ready.

What is the sucanat for? Is it used to feed the bacteria to continue the fermentation or is it used to actually sweeten the kombucha for taste? When bottling beer I do mix some sugar into the beer to get the bottles to carbonate, but I'm not sure if it's used for the same reason here as I'm not too sure the differences between yeast and SCOBY. Adding sugar to beer just gives the yeast more food so it boosts the alcohol % but it doesn't make it taste sweeter. Is it the same here or is actually used for taste?

Thanks! You cap the bottles during secondary fermentation with the fruit, correct? She had me pick up some frozen fruit so I think she wants to try some with and some without when it's ready.

What is the sucanat for? Is it used to feed the bacteria to continue the fermentation or is it used to actually sweeten the kombucha for taste? When bottling beer I do mix some sugar into the beer to get the bottles to carbonate, but I'm not sure if it's used for the same reason here as I'm not too sure the differences between yeast and SCOBY. Adding sugar to beer just gives the yeast more food so it boosts the alcohol % but it doesn't make it taste sweeter. Is it the same here or is actually used for taste?

Yes, the bottles will need capped for secondary fermentation. The fruit and sugar added during secondary fermentation will give the live yeast and bacteria plenty of food to consume after initial fermentation. This should give you the fizzy carbonation that great kombucha is known for. Adding fruit will allow for a deeper flavor, while sugar, will help give it a sweeter taste. This is the fun in making kombucha, you can make it taste however you prefer. I would suggest experimenting with multiple fruits as well. One of my favorites is mango-raspberry.

As far as alcohol content goes, you're going to get less than half a percent. You would have to drink around 6 bottles of kombucha to equal a beer. I suppose it makes sense that you could add more sugar during secondary fermentation and allow it to sit longer to boost alcohol content.

Yes, the bottles will need capped for secondary fermentation. The fruit and sugar added during secondary fermentation will give the live yeast and bacteria plenty of food to consume after initial fermentation. This should give you the fizzy carbonation that great kombucha is known for. Adding fruit will allow for a deeper flavor, while sugar, will help give it a sweeter taste. This is the fun in making kombucha, you can make it taste however you prefer. I would suggest experimenting with multiple fruits as well. One of my favorites is mango-raspberry.

As far as alcohol content goes, you're going to get less than half a percent. You would have to drink around 6 bottles of kombucha to equal a beer. I suppose it makes sense that you could add more sugar during secondary fermentation and allow it to sit longer to boost alcohol content.

I'm not trying to boost the alcohol content, I was just referring to the fact that adding sugar to beer boosts the alcohol content.

Thanks again for all your help.

I have a question too. How much sugar do you use for primary? I am working in a 4 litre pickle jar or cold-brew black tea. I am making a new batch right now, going with some vanilla extract once the primary is over. Will do fruits and bottling for the secondary, usually we just drink it in a couple days once primary is over.

For 4 litres, 2tbsp tea, 1 cup sugar, 13cups water and 2cups of kombucha tea (starter)

Back