very bad brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewskibob

Reaction score
Today was my worst. I had just finished pitching the yeast in and aerating my colonial ipa in a glass carboy. So I put the airlock & stopper in, and go to put it in my brew closet. Well my closet was full of kegs and a c02 tank, so i set the carboy down and pick up the tank to move it, and i barley tap the carboy with the tank. GUSH. It broke the carboy. Very depressing, but i have learned my lesson, I am going to be 100 times more careful with carboys from now on.

Ouch, that sucks. Sorry to hear of it-- I bet it was going to be a great beer, too.

I have yet (knock on wood) to break a carboy, but I'm going to be switching over to Better Bottles before I do.

If it helps, I once had to dump 10 gallons of beer (two batches) because they became infected. 10 gallons of beer and a few tears, all down the drain...

-Steve

or put a towel underneath the area where you're gonna put your carboy to give a little cushioning. Sorry though, that sucks.

thanks guys. Yeah the towel thing wouldn't have helped me though, because my tank hit the side of the carboy.

I have banged carboys so hard I knew they were broken. Sure enough you hit one just right and it cracks. That sucks man...I feel your pain

by the way jimbob, is the blonde ale your brewing very alcoholic? ive been thinking of making one, but im in college so alcohol content is a very big deal to me haha.

I just purchased a kit that included a 5gal glass carboy for secondary...I wanted to swap it out for a better bottle...and the owner said sure, come back in a week when I get it in stock. A week has gone by..and prior to reading this post...I said f it..I'll just stick w/ the glass....I am now reconsidering.

by the way jimbob, is the blonde ale your brewing very alcoholic? ive been thinking of making one, but im in college so alcohol content is a very big deal to me haha.

LMAO...I can't remember off hand but I think it was about 4-5%. One thing you can do to bump the alcohol content is by some kind of booster. You're local Homebrew shop probably has something like that.

broken carboys suck... could be worse though. A guy in my brew club who I would definitely call and "expert brewer" tapped a carboy and broke it about a month and a half ago. Worst part is he was in flip-flops and a large chunk of glass came down and sliced his foot open right next to his achilles. He took about a dozen stitches.

It sucked pretty bad when it happened but now he sees it as a badge of honor... now he's got actual a "brewing scar".

yeah the milk crates are a good idea, I also think that my carboy's temperature had been changing too much prior to my "accident" and I "suppose" that could weaken the glass? because i really barley tapped the side. And thanks for the info jimbob. I feel like I'm betraying good beer by adding a little corn sugar to boost alcohol content, but you gotta do what you gotta do.....to get schwasted.

Back