Vertical Motor Mount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebstauffer

Reaction score
In a nod to drunkenmonk's build, I too have set off on this budget-busting build. One small change I'd like to make is to mount the beastly motor vertically beneath the work surface. Something like the attached. Is there any reason why I shouldn't orient the motor vertically other than mounting will be a b*tch as it weighs 58 lbs?

Eric

idea.png

I know grain mills don't generate the dust that other processes do eg flour milling, but my only concern with the motor mounted as you illustrated would be dust and the motor getting dirty over time. A quick shot of air or regular vacuuming might alleviate this. Other then that interesting idea

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The only thing I can think of is if you have lubrication holes for the bearings; if that results in them being horizontal rather than vertical you could have some issues. Oh and make sure the shaft is long enough so that your bucket (or whatever you're using to catch the milled grain) is able to clear the motor.

It is pretty common for electric motors to be mounted vertically so it shouldn't cause an issue.

I have seen motors absolutely caked in various kinds of dust and still run. But personally I would hit it with some compressed air from time to time just to keep things clean. Grain dust is basically flour, so if your in a humid place it could get sticky on there.

Need to determine the type of bearings in the motor.
If ball bearings, they will take axial and radial loads, ( and that's probably what it has).
Roller bearings or bushings, radial loads only.

Put simply, the armature of the motor can usually "hang" from ball bearings.

Worldwide electric motor should be fine. It's single phase though so I think it will have an extra bulge in the housing so don't plan the build too tight until you have it in hand.

Here's what I've go going on currently. There should be plenty of space below the work surface for the grist catcher. You can see the extra bulge in the front/left -- I assume that's the cap? The mounting foot is on the back side out of view.

Eric

plan.jpg

Followed your link, and as you said, not much info.
Engaged the "live chat" payroll number, and alas, they knew nothing as well...........Said she would contact the factory and e-mail me.

But I'm -a- thinkin', that is has ball bearings in it..

It's not like I'm running this thing 24 hours a day. More like two minutes a week. I too did the "live chat" and got the same response you did. Were I a betting man I'd say the only email I get will concern those "cant be beat" prices they offer.

If it does have roller bearing what would happen if I run it at the aforementioned duty schedule?

With a roller bearing, as mentioned, it won't stand up to an "axial" load.....The shoulders on the rollers won't handle the weight of the armature of the rotor.
The difference is in the surface area supporting the armature, ( a ball vs. the small radius on the roller).

It may last forever, but I wouldn't bank on it if it's rollers.

Edit: the outer and inner races are not as "stout" in the radius on a roller, so the bearings may give up the ghost.

IMO as long as you set up your motor first and have the case of whatever you are mounting it into bear the weight, then the only thing the bearings will have to endure is the torque. That is a hell of a motor, probably much bigger than necessary. The drive shaft linkage you are using shouldn't be stressing anything unnecessarily though.

You should get way more than three years service out of that thing. I would just recommend you have that motor mounted to something before you really put it to test.

Also I simply recommend a divider between the motor enclosure and the compartment where the milled grain would go.

BTW I have to ask. Why is everyone using such large motors for their grain mills? Am I wrong in thinking that 1 HP is overkill with the gear reducer?

I'm pretty sure MM recommends right around 150 or so RPM. Making the gear ratio easy that a 11 - 1 ratio. I think your motor will fly through the grains no prob.

{edit}
I found my answer on MM's website. 1 HP is recommended by manufacturer.

Latest posts

Back