[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then
('Unexpected error:', <class 'serial.serialutil.SerialException'>)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/www/html/python/FlowMonitor.py", line 269, in monitor
msg = self.readline_notimeout()
File "/var/www/html/python/FlowMonitor.py", line 74, in readline_notimeout
c = self.arduino.read(1)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 501, in read
'device reports readiness to read but returned no data '
SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)
2020-03-03 20:27:11 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-03-03 20:27:11 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...
2020-03-03 20:27:12 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-03-03 20:27:14 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...
2020-03-03 20:27:15 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-03-03 20:27:16 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...

Anyone able to help on this?

Trying to edit Style.css file to accommodate a square image for tap number (I dont know if this is even right) and I cannot chmod file permissions to write. What am I missing or better yet, how have some of you gone about making changes to RaspberryPints? Thanks!

At the command prompt do

sudo su

before attempting the chmod

Does the chmod now allow changing the file permissions?

So, I am looking to take the leap to the R Pi world, to display my kegs, and by no means do I know anything about this high tech stuff. I looked over the Rasberry Pints website and looked at the list of things I need to get. Will the following from Amazon be a good start? See link and picture. if so, do I need the 4 GB or something less

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XTQL6Y...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Attachments

• rpints.jpg
    rpints.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 20
Hi guys, Im getting this error but not sure how to check or change the serial port configuration? Can anyone help out please?

('Unexpected error:', <class 'serial.serialutil.SerialException'>)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/www/html/python/FlowMonitor.py", line 269, in monitor
msg = self.readline_notimeout()
File "/var/www/html/python/FlowMonitor.py", line 74, in readline_notimeout
c = self.arduino.read(1)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 501, in read
'device reports readiness to read but returned no data '
SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)
2020-03-03 20:27:11 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-03-03 20:27:11 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...
2020-03-03 20:27:12 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-03-03 20:27:14 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...
2020-03-03 20:27:15 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-03-03 20:27:16 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...

Have you flashed the Arduino with legit firmware?
Seems like it's there but doesn't know how to respond...

Cheers!
Thanks very much for the reply. I never did that to start with and it actually worked fine for the first few weeks until my SD card got corrupted. Then when I reinstalled onto a new SD card it worked fine for a day and stopped. So then I added a 12v power supply to the Arduino and it worked for another day and stopped and hasnt worked since.
How would I actually go about flashing the firmware and where do I get the firmware from?

Cheers

If it was running then obviously it got a sketch loaded at some point.
Which version are you running? If it's @RandR+'s I'm pretty sure it loads the sketch during the initial installation/configuration, and there may be a mechanism for forcing a firmware upload (I imagine simply diddling the tap/pin assignments would do it).

Anyway, have you tried power-cycling just the Arduino to see if it reconnects with the host?

Cheers!

If it was running then obviously it got a sketch loaded at some point.
Which version are you running? If it's @RandR+'s I'm pretty sure it loads the sketch during the initial installation/configuration, and there may be a mechanism for forcing a firmware upload (I imagine simply diddling the tap/pin assignments would do it).

Anyway, have you tried power-cycling just the Arduino to see if it reconnects with the host?

Cheers!
Oh ok yes Ive stopped the service, uploaded the raspberrypints.ino file and then restarted the flowmon service. Ive done that many times now. At one stage I received an error message about could not find or connect to ACM1 (Cant remember exact message) but I changed it to ACM0 and it worked okay.
I did disconnect the arduinos power supply and pulled the usb cable so it shut down then plugged it back in. But no luck

Last edited:
CanaKit has been around since the original Model A days and unless one is willing to wait for all the provided components to roll in from alternative, potentially cheaper sources, their kits are a decent deal. I don't know about Vilros.

Whatever source, I would want to make sure what's being sold is the updated RPi4 with the correct USB-C receptacle design. Somehow the original version left off a resistor that is critical to meeting the USB-C specification for automatic power configuration, and may not work when used with a "smart" power supply. Most kits have been dodging that by supplying dumb wall warts, which is fine as far as that goes, but I would want the updated design just on GPs...

Cheers!

Oh ok yes Ive stopped the service, uploaded the raspberrypints.ino file and then restarted the flowmon service. Ive done that many times now. At one stage I received an error message about could not find or connect to ACM1 (Cant remember exact message) but I changed it to ACM0 and it worked okay.
I did disconnect the arduinos power supply and pulled the usb cable so it shut down then plugged it back in. But no luck

Well you've done what needed to be tried. It's all a bit curious. Have you tried a different USB cable?
Unless there's something more illuminative in a log file I'll have to leave you to @RandR+'s tender mercies :)

Cheers!

CanaKit has been around since the original Model A days and unless one is willing to wait for all the provided components to roll in from alternative, potentially cheaper sources, their kits are a decent deal. I don't know about Vilros.

Whatever source, I would want to make sure what's being sold is the updated RPi4 with the correct USB-C receptacle design. Somehow the original version left off a resistor that is critical to meeting the USB-C specification for automatic power configuration, and may not work when used with a "smart" power supply. Most kits have been dodging that by supplying dumb wall warts, which is fine as far as that goes, but I would want the updated design just on GPs...

Cheers!
So if I just go with the recommended device on the raspberry Pi website, I should be good.

Cheers

Well you've done what needed to be tried. It's all a bit curious. Have you tried a different USB cable?
Unless there's something more illuminative in a log file I'll have to leave you to @RandR+'s tender mercies :)

Cheers!
No, and the USB cable was brand new and came with the Arduino, but I will try another one. So could it be a failed Arduino? Is there a way to tell?

If you have the Arduino IDE installed on either your RPi or a PC, plug the Uno in, configure the IDE for the board type and the port, then pick a sample sketch and load it by clicking the Upload (right arrow) button. If it's something more involved than the "Blink" sketch it will dialog via the session window...

Cheers!

If you have the Arduino IDE installed on either your RPi or a PC, plug the Uno in, configure the IDE for the board type and the port, then pick a sample sketch and load it by clicking the Upload (right arrow) button. If it's something more involved than the "Blink" sketch it will dialog via the session window...

Cheers!
I tried uploading the blink sketch and this is what I got.

Binary sketch size: 1,052 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x0d

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x61
avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x69
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x76

But when I upload the Raspberrypints.INO sketch I dont get any errors and it works fine.

EDI:- And now it works again...Only thing Ive done is had it shut down all day today. Why is it so temperamental?
2020-03-05 17:29:38 RPINTS: Could not import RFID Reader, RFID disabled. Assuming SPI not installed/configured
2020-03-05 17:29:40 RPINTS: Ino new than Hex. manual upload assumed
2020-03-05 17:29:40 RPINTS: starting WS server
2020-03-05 17:29:40 RPINTS: starting device monitors...
2020-03-05 17:29:40 RPINTS: starting command server
2020-03-05 17:29:40 RPINTS: starting fan control
2020-03-05 17:29:40 RPINTS: Fan Control fanControl1 is Running
2020-03-05 17:29:40 RPINTS: Not Configured to run Fan
2020-03-05 17:29:41 RPINTS: 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running
Pourpour on pin: 4, count: 131, conversion: 575, amount: 0.22782608695652, amountUnit: ml, user: N/A

Last edited:
Hmm...Not good. Seems that Uno has lost its mind somehow.
At least you know it's not an R'Pints problem, but that's likely small consolation.

In a similar situation - and an R3 Uno with a socketed AVR - I'd replace the controller chip (I have a few 328P's on hand) and hope the original was fried...

Cheers!

Hmm...Not good. Seems that Uno has lost its mind somehow.
At least you know it's not an R'Pints problem, but that's likely small consolation.

In a similar situation - and an R3 Uno with a socketed AVR - I'd replace the controller chip (I have a few 328P's on hand) and hope the original was fried...

Cheers!
I did unplug the usb cable at the Uno end and plugged it back in and its the first time Ive done that so not sure if that had something to do with it. When you say socketed AVR is this what you mean? This chip? Could using a 12v power supply have fried it? I dont see how the voltage reg didn't even get hot.

IMG_5618.JPG

And now its stopped working again..So bloody frustrating.....Should I replace that chip?
That's what he's saying, yes. However I think it might be easier to get a new Uno as cheap as they are. That way you are eliminating the possibility that the (I forget what the chip is called that provides USB communucation) is bad.

how do I display my own images for each tap or bottled beer? Thanks.
Sorry bin busy with work, the beer images come from untappd (based on either the original RPints or someone elses mod)

it wouldn't be hard to put in the upload option and check if a beer image exists locally before checking untapped but I'm not sure when I can get to it

That's what he's saying, yes. However I think it might be easier to get a new Uno as cheap as they are. That way you are eliminating the possibility that the (I forget what the chip is called that provides USB communucation) is bad.
I brought mine from ebay but was possibly a Chinese cheapo version. AFter reboots it sometimes works once and thats it and other times doesnt work at all. Could the 12v power supply I hooked up to it have stuffed it? I checked it with a meter and it was only 12V? I can get one from Jaycar for $30 so might do that. Thanks for all the help gents.

Good lord, I had no idea the prices for an Uno clone are so crazy high in Australia :drunk:

Try to get an UNO R3 board that uses a ATMega16U2 USB/serial bridge chip like the authorized R3 design as opposed to a CH340/341 as the former is recognized by every UNO application ever written while the CH34X can be problematic for some programs...

Cheers!

Are there any tricks to using the "Show Tap List Direction" = Vertical mode in the RandR+ version? In my new install from a couple of days ago, when I try this option I get a mostly blank page (just the header and body, no tables whatsoever). I tried changing a couple of other settings that I thought could be conflicting (like "Number Of horizontal tap List Beer Column") but never get more than the page header and body sections (32 lines of code) when the direction is set to Vertical.

I'll have my 21.5" monitor attached to the kegerator right above the taps that have almost identical spacing, so it would be fantastic to have the display as six columns!

Sorry bin busy with work, the beer images come from untappd (based on either the original RPints or someone elses mod)

it wouldn't be hard to put in the upload option and check if a beer image exists locally before checking untapped but I'm not sure when I can get to it

Ok... Fair enough... would be a great feature addition though :)
How would I then change the tap list #'s or possibly use my own images in that column like I have seen many do?

Thanks for your patience with all my questions

Ok... Fair enough... would be a great feature addition though :)
How would I then change the tap list #'s or possibly use my own images in that column like I have seen many do?

Thanks for your patience with all my questions
I dont know how to change tap numbers but this is how you change the size of the images that will fit.

Try this /var/www/html/includes/beerListTable.php line 126, width is hardcoded to 50px for images. I changed mine to height 100px and width 70px and fitted in these tap images.

To change write permissions

sudo chmod +777 /var/www/html -R

Are there any tricks to using the "Show Tap List Direction" = Vertical mode in the RandR+ version? In my new install from a couple of days ago, when I try this option I get a mostly blank page (just the header and body, no tables whatsoever). I tried changing a couple of other settings that I thought could be conflicting (like "Number Of horizontal tap List Beer Column") but never get more than the page header and body sections (32 lines of code) when the direction is set to Vertical.

So working backwards from finding the row in the database's table "config" (configName = "showVerticleTapList") and then searching for that through the code, I see that common.php uses that value to decide whether to include beerListTableVerticle.php versus the normal beerListTable.php. It seems as though something about that php file (or within it) is basically causing the entire html page generation to stop, since when I do a "View Source" the last line generated is "<!-- End Header Bar -->" (line 32) and the current div, body and html elements are never closed.

Having no prior php experience, this is where I pause and ponder how badly I really want to dig into this 406-line file... Definitely need to pause long enough to figure out how to remote in from my laptop and suck files back and forth...

Is there any way to find or enable some kind of error logging that might provide me with clearer information as to what's going sideways?

I'll have my 21.5" monitor attached to the kegerator right above the taps that have almost identical spacing, so it would be fantastic to have the display as six columns!

Just for the record.... I tried "Show Tap List Direction" = Vertical mode (also RandR+ version) and get same results..... bug?

Just for the record.... I tried "Show Tap List Direction" = Vertical mode (also RandR+ version) and get same results..... bug?
Once again proving myself incapable of letting go of a puzzling challenge, I've now WinSCP'd in and found my way to /var/log/apache2/error.log - which is showing me that beerListTableVerticle.php is trying to redeclare DisplayEditShowColumn() which had already been declared in common.php - and so is throwing a PHP Fatal error. So yes, appears to be a bug. Let's see if I can do something about it...

Once again proving myself incapable of letting go of a puzzling challenge, I've now WinSCP'd in and found my way to /var/log/apache2/error.log - which is showing me that beerListTableVerticle.php is trying to redeclare DisplayEditShowColumn() which had already been declared in common.php - and so is throwing a PHP Fatal error. So yes, appears to be a bug. Let's see if I can do something about it...
Whoo-hoo! Commented out that function declaration in beerListTableVerticle.php and it's working!!
Amazing that I can still find my way around in vi, given that I only use it about ever 8-10 years for a few minutes each time :rock:

I dont know how to change tap numbers but this is how you change the size of the images that will fit.

Try this /var/www/html/includes/beerListTable.php line 126, width is hardcoded to 50px for images. I changed mine to height 100px and width 70px and fitted in these tap images.

To change write permissions

sudo chmod +777 /var/www/html -R

I appreciate the info but honestly have no idea what you mean... software /coding is not my forte. What do you mean by 'fitted in these tap images' ?

Back