[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you try setting up 8 taps and see if it numbers properly? If so, you can set up a 'blank' tap in that position.
Yeah, i could set everything blank but not matter what it would show “4” as a tap number despite being empty. I fixed it by uploading a transparent jpeg as a tap image.

Did you choose to install flowmeters? If not then PIR wont work, I need to make that clear in the installer
Is there a way to use local images for the brewery images rather than image URL?

edit: I guess i found a solution... hosting images on my NAS web server.

Last edited:
Greetings, Dabreeze, and welcome to HBT.

I suggest going back a few pages and start reading from this post. The same question was posed therein and there's a sub-thread of follow-ups to peruse...

Cheers!
Greetings, Dabreeze, and welcome to HBT.

I suggest going back a few pages and start reading from this post. The same question was posed therein and there's a sub-thread of follow-ups to peruse...

Cheers!

Has anyone been successfull installing/running RaspberryPints on a non-Pi platform?
(refer to https://bernerbits.github.io/ras-pints-without-pi/)

I am trying this route and am not getting anywhere.... I have installed Xampp and trying to setup RaspberryPints and get the following error.....

Warning: require_once(C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints/includes/config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 5

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints/includes/config.php' (include_path='C:\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 5

The config.php file does not appear in that directory and
If I remove that line referring to config.php, just get a string of other errors.

Clearly, I am out of my element here with php files
Can anyone help me? Thank You in advance....

Assuming you installed XAMPP correctly, there’s a strong possibility you didn’t install RPints in the Root Directory and why the config can’t be found.

I’ll be honest, the tutorial you referenced is pretty decent and I can’t offer much else.

Typically setting up the web server and a root directory is the toughest part.

I did this years ago, setting up RPints on an old Windows Desktop (heck, it’s still running). I am now on an RPi running RandR+’s Fork, and happier for it. IMO...you’re on a learning curve no matter how you go about RPints...I see value (and sanity) going a route where more assistance is available.

Assuming you installed XAMPP correctly, there’s a strong possibility you didn’t install RPints in the Root Directory and why the config can’t be found.

I’ll be honest, the tutorial you referenced is pretty decent and I can’t offer much else.

Typically setting up the web server and a root directory is the toughest part.

I did this years ago, setting up RPints on an old Windows Desktop (heck, it’s still running). I am now on an RPi running RandR+’s Fork, and happier for it. IMO...you’re on a learning curve no matter how you go about RPints...I see value (and sanity) going a route where more assistance is available.

Garzlok,

i installed in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints

isnt xampp\htdocs the root directory?
Should it be installed elsewhere?

I’m pretty much newbie will all this so yes there is a big learning curve. I have been banging my head for days even going as far as reinstalling xampp several times and always the same error. Config.php clearly isnt there.. can I get that file from somewhere else and put it where it needs to be? Or perhaps can
I use a different fork (RandR+‘s) but I am not sure if I am limited there since I am trying to run on a Windows machine? I am just trying to have a basic RaspberryPints install/setup.

this is driving me crazy. What are my options here or do I just throw in the towel. Thanks for any assistance.

Garzlok,

i installed in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints

isnt xampp\htdocs the root directory?
Should it be installed elsewhere?

I’m pretty much newbie will all this so yes there is a big learning curve. I have been banging my head for days even going as far as reinstalling xampp several times and always the same error. Config.php clearly isnt there.. can I get that file from somewhere else and put it where it needs to be? Or perhaps can
I use a different fork (RandR+‘s) but I am not sure if I am limited there since I am trying to run on a Windows machine? I am just trying to have a basic RaspberryPints install/setup.

this is driving me crazy. What are my options here or do I just throw in the towel. Thanks for any assistance.
Well... made a little (well not exactly progress)...
Got past the config.php error and now getting this error.. I just don't see what I am going wrong...

Validating Entries...Success!
Checking DB connectivity...Success!
Checking config folder permissions...Success!
Update config files...Success!
Update admin config files...Success!
Creating RPints database user...Success!
Running Database Script...
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\install\includes\configprocessor.php:167 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\install\includes\configprocessor.php on line 167

Well... made a little (well not exactly progress)...
Got past the config.php error and now getting this error.. I just don't see what I am going wrong...

Validating Entries...Success!
Checking DB connectivity...Success!
Checking config folder permissions...Success!
Update config files...Success!
Update admin config files...Success!
Creating RPints database user...Success!
Running Database Script...
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\install\includes\configprocessor.php:167 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\install\includes\configprocessor.php on line 167

Well, I just went to the XAMPP site and that package is now distributing MariaDB instead of MySQL. I know your version was built with MySQL...MariaDB is a fork of MySQL and is designed to be backwards compatible, I just don’t know if you have to make any changes to your RPints.

Last edited:
Well.. as you can tell... I have no clue what I am doing.. LOL
I am just following the tutorial I referenced earlier... apparently its not accurate or is outdated since XAMPP now uses MariaDB and not MySQL.

Is there a different vers of RPints i can use that uses MariaDB or a different XAMPP install that distributes MySQL that will work with the RPints version I apparently have?

Maybe a different tutorial I should be referencing that will walk me through everything and give me a working out of the box basic install, referencing correct versions of XAMPP & RPints?

I just want to get a working install of RPints so whatever I need to do... I just need some guidance. Sorry for all the questions but I am pretty frustrated... I am thinking this may be a lost cause and I should just cut my losses, as much as I dont want to, but if there is no easy way to do this.. Thanks!!

Well.. as you can tell... I have no clue what I am doing.. LOL
I am just following the tutorial I referenced earlier... apparently its not accurate or is outdated since XAMPP now uses MariaDB and not MySQL.

Is there a different vers of RPints i can use that uses MariaDB or a different XAMPP install that distributes MySQL that will work with the RPints version I apparently have?

Maybe a different tutorial I should be referencing that will walk me through everything and give me a working out of the box basic install, referencing correct versions of XAMPP & RPints?

I just want to get a working install of RPints so whatever I need to do... I just need some guidance. Sorry for all the questions but I am pretty frustrated... I am thinking this may be a lost cause and I should just cut my losses, as much as I dont want to, but if there is no easy way to do this.. Thanks!!

I just checked the XAMPP control panel -- I have version 3.2.4 and one of the modules is MySql, not MariaDB. So is it safe to assume that the XAMPP version i have distributed MySQL? Getting the error I mentioned earlier none the less, so dont know where to go from here. Thanks.

Did you choose to install flowmeters? If not then PIR wont work, I need to make that clear in the installer
No, I did NOT install flow meters. Got it ... I will do that and see what happens. I do not have flow meters, but I choose to install them anyway? Is there a command I can use to just install them, or do I need to start over with a clean install?

Dabreeze said:

The error comes back as the Database Script is running the Schema File...why? Not certain.

Dabreeze said:

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, specially as one gets their dander-up trying to solve a riddle. I'm going to assume that you will not be using flow meters? If you are not using flow meters, a Pi Zero W will work for you. That's $10 USD. If you add a kit that comes with a Power Supply, SD Card, and a little enclosure, that's as additional $15 USD...For $25 USD you can install the latest RandR+ RaspberryPints and be ready to go in less than 90 minutes. (If you want to eventually graduate to Flow Meters, I recommend the 3B+ at a minimum. Typically that Pi plus a starter kit will be $60-65 USD.)

Not exactly what I hoped I would need to do but guess it is a reasonable compromise. Don't plan on using flow meters... Will a Pi Zero W work fine?... should I anticipate any issues or should I just go with the 3B+. With either/or, how hard would be to install the latest RandR+ version and again should I anticipate any potential hurdles or conflicts? What would I need to do to install? I just want a basic no nonsense taplist. Thanks for your patience and tolerating all my questions.

A Zero W has equivalent performance to a Model B - which is what we were all running with the original Raspberry Pints 2.0.1 flow meter release.
Sans flow meters they work just fine - there's not much to display a static set of data after all.
With flow meters one the console may take a second or two to repaint the screen after a pour (vs a 2B or newer that update in a blink) but honestly it's a minor nit.

As for how to install: Thanks to Lee B it's pretty simple:

curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo bash

The installer will prompt for which version (Tobor_8thman or RandR+) you wish to install...

Cheers!

Appreciate the thorough explanation, Day_trippr.
I say I’m not going to use flow meters now, but ya never know, so I think I’ll spring for a 3B just in case.. I think the price diff isn’t all that significant.

Thanks again

No, I did NOT install flow meters. Got it ... I will do that and see what happens. I do not have flow meters, but I choose to install them anyway? Is there a command I can use to just install them, or do I need to start over with a clean install?
I’m also wondering the same thing!

Not exactly what I hoped I would need to do but guess it is a reasonable compromise. Don't plan on using flow meters... Will a Pi Zero W work fine?... should I anticipate any issues or should I just go with the 3B+. With either/or, how hard would be to install the latest RandR+ version and again should I anticipate any potential hurdles or conflicts? What would I need to do to install? I just want a basic no nonsense taplist. Thanks for your patience and tolerating all my questions.

Honest to goodness, I already walked down the same path you’re starting on now.

About 4 years ago (maybe longer) I set-up a WindowsXP machine to run RPints locally. Actually have it set-up to include buttons (such as Pints, Tulips, Growlers, etc.) that would remove volume from the keg to give me an idea on when a keg would kick.

Around this past Christmas, I got tired of it and wanted flow meters. Bought a Pi Zero W, set it up had it running. Didn’t like the speed of the Pi Zero W, upgraded to a 3B+ and its been going ever since.

Me? I would go with the 3B+ or the 4.

Yeah, there’s going to be a little bit of a learning curve moving to a Pi, but you will find help in this thread now that you’re doing something others are familiar with.

Well I certainly appreciate everyone’s feedback and patience. Hopefully this won’t be too rough a ride. :)
I’m sure there will be questions to follow once I get the pi.
Thanks

Day_Trippr or Tobor_8thman - If installing the Tobor_8thman version, can one of you point me in the direction of how to properly setup/configure the PIR with xscrensaver?

Last edited:
Is there a command I can use to just install them, or do I need to start over with a clean install?
if you re run the install script it will prompt if you want to update, hit N then it will prompt to reconfigure and you can install additional software that way (like the flow meters)

Call to undefined function mysql_connect()
To be clear this is caused by PHP 7.0 not MySQL so it doesn't matter what version of MySQL you use (MySQL or MariaDB)

To get the original version working you need to use an outdated version of PHP.

Is it also a requirement to actually have Flow Meters configured before the PIR will work? After installing Flow Meters, rpints.log file just shows that it can't find them and makes no mention of the motion detector status.

Net/net, I just want rpints with the PIR. No flow Meters, No RFID, No Temp probe. Struggling to get that configured properly, so perhaps it would be better to just configure the PIR manually, but I can't locate the details of how to set that up or get the script files.

I got motion detection working with rpints using a motion detector i have connected to my smartthings hub. I went this route since I already had an extra zwave motion detector and i can interface it with smartthings/rest of my home automation. I have not purchased flow meters yet.

Basically, you install Webhooks and XScreenSaver on the pi. Set up a .json file (tells pi to run .sh script when URL is run) and .sh script (telling XScreenSaver to deactivate and to play beer pour mp3 using mpg123) for Webhooks. Run the Webhooks server. That listens for URL. Then setup in smartthings a virtual button that runs URL when triggered. Then in Smartthings set so that when motion detected, virtual button is pressed. You then set up XScreenSaver to play video(s) using VLC (supposedly you can use mpv to play videos, but wasn’t working for me).

I have mine playing a set of videos of beer being poured and a head forming in a glass after a minute of no motion. Video stops on detection of motion right in front of tap list and plays an mp3 of a beer being poured.

If anyone is interested I can write a step by step procedure.

Last edited:
I finally got around to fixing this. It was a bug based on the fact that the list should show empty taps
Cool, so i would run install again to update? This would not erase current settings?

My solution was to upload a blank transparent png image as the tap number :yes:

*** DISREGARD, I figured it out ***
Can someone send me a version of @day_trippr pir_run.py file that they have running properly on Buster with the updated version of Python. PIR is functioning properly, but the pir_run.py script is throwing the following error:

No protocol specified
xscreensaver-command: can't open display :0.0

*** DISREGARD, I figured it out ***

Last edited:
Any changes needed to the python script to make it compliant with the latest version? Also, is the path to the autostart file the same or has that changed in Buster?
did you figure this out?

I know Stretch changed the autostart file to /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart but if that file doesn't exists it defaults to the one in the setup

Hopefully a simple one. I'm setting up a second RaspberryPints for the garage. I have 8 taps inside, 8 in the garage. I want to just copy my keg and beer entries from the working RPints, but when i log into phpmyadmin, I don't see the database entries that are in the FAQ to backup/restore. anyone know a way to do this, without needing to re-enter 53 beers manually? Cheers!

want to just copy my keg and beer entries from the working RPints
If you are using my version, there is a backup button under the install page on the admin screen that will output a SQL file to sql/backups

Copy that into the same directory on the new pi and then use the restore option from the admin/install page.

otherwise from the terminal you canrun
sudo mysqldump --databases raspberrypints > backup.sql

then move backup.sql to the new pi and run
sudo mysql < backup.sql

Hi guys, I had to re install Rpints and silly me didnt save the css file so trying to set everything up again. Last time I changed line 199 of the css file to this and it allowed my tap images to fit.
.tapcircle {
background-color: rgba(153,153,153,.3);
border-radius: .5em;
-moz-border-radius: .5em;
-webkit-border-radius: .5em;
color: #ffffff;
display: inline-block;
font-weight: bold;
margin-left: 1px;
margin-right: 1px;
text-align: center;
line-height: 100px;
width: 80px;

Its not working this time. When I go into the inspector I see this element.style section down under tapcircle and the width is still at 50px. If I change it to width 80px the tap image fits but I dont know where to actually change it on the css file as I cant find it. Any suggestions??

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 5.49.29 pm.png

Also guys I had an issue where the pi wouldn't boot and gave me an error
kernelPanic: VFS: can't mount root fs (179,2)
I had to reinstall everything but form what Ive read this means the SD card has failed. I have a class 10 card so any reason why this happened?
Most common causes of sd card corruption are power-loss (whether caused by pulling the power cord without executing a legit shut down first, or due to "natural causes") and poor quality power supply.

Either way, it's usually power related...

Cheers!

Most common causes of sd card corruption are power-loss (whether caused by pulling the power cord without executing a legit shut down first, or due to "natural causes") and poor quality power supply.

Either way, it's usually power related...

Cheers!
I often pull the power chord too reboot. But this happened whilst it was still running. I couldn't log into the config screen so rebooted. I am using a decent PS I brought with the pi. But should I run the Arduino on a seperate power supply too?

Latest posts

Back