[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I am getting this from Rpints.log and can't get it to stop repeating even if I reset Uno

2020-01-30 02:16:46 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-01-30 02:16:46 RPINTS: NOT resetting alamode
2020-01-30 02:16:47 RPINTS: waiting for alamode to come alive
2020-01-30 02:16:47 RPINTS: alamode alive...
2020-01-30 02:16:47 RPINTS: getting config data for alamode
2020-01-30 02:16:47 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...
2020-01-30 02:16:47 RPINTS: local variable 'alamodeRelayTrigger' referenced before assignment

For others knowledge those .sql files are used to setup the database and to update after the database is setup. I don't expect someone to make changes to those files so I don't see a reason to save them
I ended up losing a lot of my recent changes but had a back up of my css file anyway.

1. Any way to have an audible beep when it reads?
2. Is there a time limit for turning on and off the valves?
3. Are you still having issues with timeouts?
1. I'm sure there is since people have put audio on pours. I would have to look into it more
2. Yes for off the valves, they should turn on as soon as a known user is scanned. The setting for how long to remain open without a pour is under settings on the taps admin page
3. Yes, I can get the valves to open and close with no pour, and if there is a pour close the non-pouring taps correctly, but the pour tap valve also closes for me and I haven't figured out why

2020-01-30 02:16:47 RPINTS: local variable 'alamodeRelayTrigger' referenced before assignment
That's a new one for me. but I wonder if there is a different exception happening causing this.

In python/Config.py change the two debug lines to true (lines 13 and 16)

#logging settings for flowmon
config['flowmon.debug' ] = True
#logging settings for pintdispatch
config['dispatch.debug' ] = True

Than restart the service (sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon restart)

see if Rpints.log has anything new in it then

Hi, I'm looking to start this project with flow meters. Having a hard time sourcing swissflow meters at a decent price.

Does anyone know of quality flow meters that will work on this project on amazon?

thanks in advance, josh

That's a new one for me. but I wonder if there is a different exception happening causing this.

I did find out...dumb me...not remembering what things I clicked...

If I enable the "Use Tap Valves", I get that error...that being said...I don't have valves yet.

I will do more testing once I do.

Can you remind me what valves and fittings you used?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi, I'm looking to start this project with flow meters. Having a hard time sourcing swissflow meters at a decent price.

Does anyone know of quality flow meters that will work on this project on amazon?

thanks in advance, josh

I've read that anything other then Swissflow may produce considerable error. I can't remember the post, but it was something like a tenfold difference is counter readings. I just bit the bullet and paid $75 each for 4 with fittings on eBay.

But I've been testing with an YF-S401 and I think that's what others have used. My testing consists of blowing into it....so no real world efforts.

I did find out...dumb me...not remembering what things I clicked...

If I enable the "Use Tap Valves", I get that error...that being said...I don't have valves yet.

I will do more testing once I do.

Can you remind me what valves and fittings you used?

Thanks,

Ben
Thinking this one....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Stainl...ve-9V-12V-to-24V-DC-5-Wire-Setup/283055346131

Then I will have a Red and Green light so people will wait to pour...do you think this will reduce foaming better then solenoid valve that goes wide open...or would the same idea apply for solenoid...just have people wait...

or would a ball valve not foam by course?

Just putting it out there...I don't even have kegs of beer to test with yet...just waiting for part for the rest of my brewery.

Then I will have a Red and Green light so people will wait to pour...do you think this will reduce foaming better then solenoid valve that goes wide open...or would the same idea apply for solenoid...just have people wait...

ball valves are very slow at opening and take up a lot of room. I cant speak too much though I don't have my valves connected to the beer line yet until I get the logic working 100%

What I bought and am testing with
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016MP1HX0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XU0SK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fwiw, I've been running a pair of those same solenoids (except 24V) on my reverse osmosis system for almost a year.
With water, they work perfectly. No idea how they'll perform in a beer line.

iirc Kegbot had a solenoid function. I wonder what folks used back then...

Cheers!

thanks in advance, josh
I'll throw my opinion out there on flow meters. The SwissFlow are definitely the most accurate and of course the most expensive. I have been buying them when I can afford and have 5 of them. For the next 3 I'm going with the with the YF-S401 with barb fittings for $2.99 on amazon. If you think about why you want them, most like to know about when their keg is going to kick. Since it's subtracted from the original amount, it's dependent on an accurate fill volume. When I fill corneys, I don't measure 5.000 gallons in each. So it will immediately be off by the difference in my fill. That +- will likely be more than the 'inaccuracy' of the $3 meter for me. What I don't recall is whether to drill out the reduced inlet. I remember some doing that, but don't know if that helped with foaming or hurt accuracy. Anybody recall? The connector is a supposed to be a male 2.54mm JST-XHP 3 Pin connector, have not been able to find females version of that connector.

iirc, @wbarber69 played around with drilling out a similar hall effect meter (though it had larger threaded ends).
If you start at this post and continue along for a few more you'll see what he was looking at (pictures added in his post here)...

Cheers!
Haha.. I knew I remembered that thread. I participated it in 2015 when I first built the RPints, before it blew up a few months ago. Remember where your backup sd card is even 4-5 years later. I didn't.

Woof. That's no fun. Made me glance at the small plastic box I keep all of my fleet's backup cards to make sure it's still sitting in its spot :D

Haven't seen @wbarber69 in awhile, and while I had many PMs with him the damned archive isn't searchable worth a damn to see how he might have made out with his flow meters...

Cheers!

Well finally got my flow meters and hooked everything up and Poured a beer. Now what?? Where do I see how many mls were poured? Am I supposed to see this down in the pours column? If so its not working. I have flow pins setup under taps. Not sure what else to do from here and would appreciate some steps to follow going forward?

Also my temperature is showing 0C. I have the signal and 3v3 coming off the Pi, but the ground is connected to the common ground from the flow meters that run back to the Uno. Is this okay?

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 9.26.35 pm.png

I also figured out why my Arduino wasn't connecting, the installation script for setting up flowmeters wants to use ./${VER_NAME}-setup but I'm using buster and there is no buster-setup script to run. I just ran the stretch-setup and restarted flowman and it looks like my Arduino is connecting. I'm getting flowmonitor aborted in the rpints.log but I assume that is due to having no flowmeters hooked up to the Uno.

It doesn't look like you are using the alamode so it shouldn't matter that buster-setup wasn't run, but I'm updating my install script to run that anyways

I believe the alamode setup is needed due to line 84 of flowmonitor.py

cmdline = "/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -patmega328p -calamode -P"+self.port+" -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:"

-calamode isn't valid without running the alamode-setup. At least that is what my rpints.log that I attached above suggests.

I’m wondering if this is all related to my off again, on again issues. If power is lost, or if I reboot my Pi, or if my teenage boys think they’re being smart by unplugging everything to grab a pint, My Arduino and RPi3B+ w/Buster will not connect (listen to each other) automatically.

No matter if I give it 5 minutes or 30 minutes after a reboot, I have to go into the RPi, Open the Arduino IDE, and run the Serial Monitor. I’ll instantly see Alive, and a StatusCheck in the Monitor. Close the Monitor, Close the Arduino IDE, and my RPi and Arduino are now connected.

Hi again, i purchased 2 of the plaato keg devices. Is there any plan to add a plugin for these to work with raspberrypints? Think it would be a great addition to it, it is already working well with the brewfather app.

Hi all. How do i point rPints to an uno through usb? (killed my alamode so got hold of a much cheaper Uno) Do i need to install your version again R&R? Tried uploading it through sketch but get an error

ball valves are very slow at opening and take up a lot of room. I cant speak too much though I don't have my valves connected to the beer line yet until I get the logic working 100%

What I bought and am testing with
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016MP1HX0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XU0SK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does your current implementation use an RFID reader for each tap, or does once RFID reader open all taps?

Hi all. How do i point rPints to an uno through usb? (killed my alamode so got hold of a much cheaper Uno) Do i need to install your version again R&R? Tried uploading it through sketch but get an error

Verify what port is being used...most likely /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyACM1.

Then modify /var/www/html/Config.py

"config['flowmon.port'] = '/dev/ttyACM0'

As an aside, I ran into issues of my RPi 3+ bouncing between ttyACM0 and ttyACM1 and did this...

http://hintshop.ludvig.co.nz/show/persistent-names-usb-serial-devices/

my "99-usb-serial.rules" looked like this...

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2a03", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0043", SYMLINK+="arduino"

after I made this modification...I could use "/dev/arduino" in Config.py

Then you can go back to GUI and use Arduino IDE Programmer. (still sees ttyACM0 though, so make sure it's selected under Tools/Serial Port)

raspberrypints.ino is located in "/var/www/html/arduino/raspberrypints"

Is there any plan to add a plugin for these to work with raspberrypints?
I have no current plans but if someone could point me to how to integrate with it, I would add it to the list of todo's.

I'm wondering if brewfather app interfaces with the device to get information or the API from plaato just to display what plaato has

First step is to check /var/log/rpints.log to see if its connecting to the Uno and initializing it.
Ok I assume this means it isnt. But why?

2020-01-31 22:50:50 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-01-31 22:50:56 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-01-31 22:51:01 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-01-31 22:51:06 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-01-31 22:51:11 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-01-31 22:51:16 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-01-31 22:51:21 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-01-31 22:51:26 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-01-31 22:51:31 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-01-31 22:51:36 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/www/html/python/PintDispatch.py", line 652, in <module>
dispatch = PintDispatch()
File "/var/www/html/python/PintDispatch.py", line 154, in __init__
self.updateValvePins()
File "/var/www/html/python/PintDispatch.py", line 530, in updateValvePins
self.sendvalveupdate(ii, tap["valveOn"])
File "/var/www/html/python/PintDispatch.py", line 353, in sendvalveupdate
self.mcast.sendto(msg + "\n", (MCAST_GRP, MCAST_PORT))
socket.error: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable

Edit:- I restarted flown and now Rpints.log shows this

2020-02-01 06:31:27 RPINTS: Could not import RFID Reader, RFID disabled. Assuming SPI not installed/configured
RPINTS: reflashing alamode failed, moving on anyways, error was: Command '/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -patmega328p -calamode -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/www/html//arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.cpp.hex:i' returned non-zero exit status 1
2020-02-01 06:31:32 RPINTS: starting WS server
2020-02-01 06:31:32 RPINTS: starting tap flow meters...
2020-02-01 06:31:32 RPINTS: starting command server
2020-02-01 06:31:32 RPINTS: starting fan control
2020-02-01 06:31:32 RPINTS: Fan Control fanControl1 is Running
2020-02-01 06:31:32 RPINTS: Not Configured to run Fan

Last edited:

In FlowMonitor.py

I moved line 36

alamodeRelayTrigger = 0

to line 108

I referenced... https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18002794/local-variable-referenced-before-assignment-in-python

seems to work now. What does the red circle X icon on the keg mean?

I copied this procedure above to see if I could get anymore clues. This is what the Rpints.log file showed after this. Im using a Uno so why is it trying to reflash the alamaode???

2020-02-01 07:02:08 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:0=0
2020-02-01 07:02:08 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:1=0
2020-02-01 07:02:08 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:2=0
2020-02-01 07:02:08 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:3=0
2020-02-01 07:02:08 RPINTS: Could not import RFID Reader, RFID disabled. Assuming SPI not installed/configured
2020-02-01 07:02:10 RPINTS: starting setup...
2020-02-01 07:02:10 RPINTS: resetting alamode to try to force it to listen to us...
2020-02-01 07:02:11 RPINTS: giving it a short break to wake up again...
2020-02-01 07:02:13 RPINTS: reflashing alamode via:
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -patmega328p -calamode -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/www/html//arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.cpp.hex:i
RPINTS: reflashing alamode failed, moving on anyways, error was: Command '/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -patmega328p -calamode -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/www/html//arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.cpp.hex:i' returned non-zero exit status 1
2020-02-01 07:02:13 RPINTS:
2020-02-01 07:02:13 RPINTS: starting WS server
2020-02-01 07:02:13 RPINTS: starting tap flow meters...
2020-02-01 07:02:13 RPINTS: resetting alamode
2020-02-01 07:02:13 RPINTS: starting command server
2020-02-01 07:02:13 RPINTS: starting fan control
2020-02-01 07:02:13 RPINTS: Fan Control fanControl1 is Running
2020-02-01 07:02:13 RPINTS: Not Configured to run Fan

I'm to the point of trying to get the tap number graphics to fit. I PM'd Troyp42 and used what worked for him, but it didn't for me. He modified the class for the tap circle. I've been trying .tap-num without success. It is also is browser dependent. It works great on FireFox, but none of the other browsers including Chromium.
Here is FireFox
screengood.png

Here is Chromium
screenbad.png

Anyone able to point me to the class that needs modifying?

tap-num should be the class to modify, you might be using browser specific css.

Could you send me your exact styles.css or at least the changes you made so I can review

tap-num should be the class to modify, you might be using browser specific css.

Could you send me your exact styles.css or at least the changes you made so I can review

This is what the Rpints.log file showed after this. Im using a Uno so why is it trying to reflash the alamaode???
By default it says alamode, but that's just text. probably should change to Arduino.

Can you manually upload the Sketch to the Uno?
Stop the service (sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop)
Open /var/www/html/arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.ino in the Arduino IDE
Hit upload (there is a button on top or under the File menu)
start the service (sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start)

then check the log to see if something different happens

Okay did all that and the log new says this.

2020-02-01 10:56:19 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:0=0
2020-02-01 10:56:19 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:1=0
2020-02-01 10:56:19 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:2=0
2020-02-01 10:56:19 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:3=0
2020-02-01 10:56:19 RPINTS: Could not import RFID Reader, RFID disabled. Assuming SPI not installed/configured
2020-02-01 10:56:21 RPINTS: starting setup...
2020-02-01 10:56:21 RPINTS: resetting alamode to try to force it to listen to us...
2020-02-01 10:56:22 RPINTS: giving it a short break to wake up again...
2020-02-01 10:56:24 RPINTS: reflashing alamode via:
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -patmega328p -calamode -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/www/html//arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.cpp.hex:i
2020-02-01 10:56:24 RPINTS:
2020-02-01 10:56:24 RPINTS: starting WS server
2020-02-01 10:56:24 RPINTS: starting tap flow meters...
2020-02-01 10:56:24 RPINTS: resetting alamode
2020-02-01 10:56:24 RPINTS: starting command server
2020-02-01 10:56:24 RPINTS: starting fan control
2020-02-01 10:56:24 RPINTS: Fan Control fanControl1 is Running
2020-02-01 10:56:24 RPINTS: Not Configured to run Fan
2020-02-01 10:56:25 RPINTS: waiting for alamode to come alive
2020-02-01 10:56:25 RPINTS: alamode alive...
2020-02-01 10:56:25 RPINTS: getting config data for alamode
2020-02-01 10:56:25 RPINTS: alamode config, about to send: C:4:3:4:5:6:0:300:200:30:250:0:0|
2020-02-01 10:56:25 RPINTS: Waiting for Config Response
2020-02-01 10:56:27 RPINTS: alamode says:
2020-02-01 10:56:27 RPINTS: 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running
2020-02-01 10:56:27 RPINTS: listening to alamode
2020-02-01 10:56:27 RPINTS: alive
2020-02-01 10:56:27 RPINTS: alamode was restarted, restart flowmonitor
2020-02-01 10:56:27 RPINTS: closing serial connection to alamode...
2020-02-01 10:56:28 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-02-01 10:56:28 RPINTS: resetting alamode
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: waiting for alamode to come alive
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: alamode alive...
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: getting config data for alamode
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: alamode config, about to send: C:4:3:4:5:6:0:300:200:30:250:0:0|
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: Waiting for Config Response
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: alamode says: alive
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: listening to alamode
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: alamode - Unknown message (length too short): C:4:3:4:5:6:0:300:200:30:250:0:0|
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: Sending Status;NOTOK;-1;0;0;0;0;0;|

Wholly $hit...I have a pour. What fixed it?? Also how do I get rid of those other pours which were already there?

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 11.02.39 am.png

2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: Waiting for Config Response
2020-02-01 10:56:29 RPINTS: alamode says: alive
This looks like a baudrate issue
In /var/www/html/python/FlowMonitor.py change line 225
from
self.arduino = serial.Serial(self.port,9600,timeout=.5)
to
self.arduino = serial.Serial(self.port,115200,timeout=.5)
and save

in the raspberrypints.ino change line 124
from
Serial.begin(9600);
to
Serial.begin(115200);

Then repeat the upload process

Also how do I get rid of those other pours which were already there?
this should remove all pours from the table, unless you really want to save that 1 pour this is the way to go (assuming you use the default database name)
sudo mysql -D raspberrypints -e "DELETE FROM pours;"

Those lines for self Arduino (line 225) and serial.begin (line 124) weren't the same as you quoted..But I assume that doesn't matter?

Now Im not seeing any pours at all?? The heading POURS is gone too.

here is the log file now.
2020-02-01 11:24:28 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:0=0
2020-02-01 11:24:28 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:1=0
2020-02-01 11:24:28 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:2=0
2020-02-01 11:24:28 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:3=0
2020-02-01 11:24:28 RPINTS: Could not import RFID Reader, RFID disabled. Assuming SPI not installed/configured
2020-02-01 11:24:30 RPINTS: starting setup...
2020-02-01 11:24:30 RPINTS: resetting alamode to try to force it to listen to us...
2020-02-01 11:24:31 RPINTS: giving it a short break to wake up again...
2020-02-01 11:24:33 RPINTS: reflashing alamode via:
2020-02-01 11:24:33 RPINTS:
2020-02-01 11:24:33 RPINTS: starting WS server
2020-02-01 11:24:34 RPINTS: starting tap flow meters...
2020-02-01 11:24:34 RPINTS: resetting alamode
2020-02-01 11:24:34 RPINTS: starting command server
2020-02-01 11:24:34 RPINTS: starting fan control
2020-02-01 11:24:34 RPINTS: Fan Control fanControl1 is Running
2020-02-01 11:24:34 RPINTS: Not Configured to run Fan
2020-02-01 11:24:35 RPINTS: waiting for alamode to come alive
2020-02-01 11:24:36 RPINTS: alamode alive...
2020-02-01 11:24:36 RPINTS: getting config data for alamode
2020-02-01 11:24:36 RPINTS: alamode config, about to send: C:4:3:4:5:6:0:300:200:30:250:0:0|
2020-02-01 11:24:36 RPINTS: Waiting for Config Response
2020-02-01 11:24:36 RPINTS: alamode says: C:4:3:4:5:6:0:300:200:30:250:0:0|
2020-02-01 11:24:36 RPINTS: 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running
2020-02-01 11:24:36 RPINTS: listening to alamode
2020-02-01 11:24:36 RPINTS: Sending Status;NOTOK;-1;0;0;0;0;0;|
2020-02-01 11:25:09 RPINTS: got WS connection from ('::ffff:192.168.1.163', 61382, 0, 0)
2020-02-01 11:26:09 RPINTS: got WS connection from ('::ffff:192.168.1.163', 61400, 0, 0)

this should remove all pours from the table, unless you really want to save that 1 pour this is the way to go (assuming you use the default database name)
sudo mysql -D raspberrypints -e "DELETE FROM pours;"

After doing this now the heading POURS is completely gone/.

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 11.38.16 am.png

Edit:- Ok its back again after a reboot. Ill keep playing around. thanks heaps mate.

EDIT:- Nope. It showed one pour then I changed the count per litre from 7000 to 3000 as it only showed 33mls when I had poured 500mls, but it won't show the second pour now?

Last edited:
Use the built-in browser developer tool's to determine what is happening/not happening in regard to rendering/css. Most modern browsers have some sort of built-in developer tools (might be called a different name, but they allow inspecting the rendered DOM).

Back