[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[...]I've never dealt with any circuitry of this nature, so hopefully I did OK. The next step is installing the flow meters, and then getting the programming figured out (which I'm saving for last out of pure terror).[...]

Your kit looks good, I'm sure it's going to work well.
As for the "programming" part, we'll keep you off the ledge ;)

Cheers!

After many busy nights, and probably enough homebrew to fill a small California lake, I FINALLY have my Raspberry Pi where I want it to be. Got my new flow meter today to replace my broken one. Now every one of them is pouring flawlessly. No Phantom pours and no more excessive foam. Temp-logger is set up, letting me know what's going on with the insides, and I also just wired in the PIR. Everything is doing exactly what it is supposed to do and honestly, I couldn't be happier. This was WELL worth it and if I had to do it all over again, I would without a second thought. Honestly, what's next? What other ideas are you guys thinking of? It seems that with the Pi, nothing is impossible...

My wiring for my meters isn't exactly "pretty." In fact, it's exactly the opposite. Didn't use XLR's, or a fancy box, everything is just kinda soldered and heat-shrinked together. BUT, it's functional and that's all that really matters to me since I have my Pi/Alamode mounted behind my keezer where no one but me will ever see it. I cut off all the excess wire of my meters since for my application, the wires were ridiculously too long. I actually used about three feet of a cutoff with a connector still intact, soldered female jumper pins to the other end, and used that ribbon cable for my PIR. Worked perfectly. Just another simple little thing...

This may be a really stupid question but how do I hook up the wireless adapter that is recommended in the recommended hardware? (Same model and everything) I'm cruzing on the install but can't get it to get me internet. It came with a install cd, should I be transferring that via the SD card or is the one I just got a bad one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This may be a really stupid question but how do I hook up the wireless adapter that is recommended in the recommended hardware? (Same model and everything) I'm cruzing on the install but can't get it to get me internet. It came with a install cd, should I be transferring that via the SD card or is the one I just got a bad one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Normally you just plug it in to an open port and follow the following instructions.Scroll down to "Set Up the WiFi Connection".
http://raspberrypints.com/byo/step-3-operating-system-configuration-wflow-meters/
Hope this help.

Looks like one of my meters has bitten the digital dust.

I have been tracking remaining keg volumes since I got V2 running two weeks ago, and over that time I've had a handful of random keg kicks, but always on the same tap. I had checked all the connections between the meter and the AlaMode to make sure it wasn't just something loose but the kicks persisted. Wednesday I reset the keg three times and within minutes of the last reset the keg kicked again, so things had finally gone from random to acute.

Yesterday I swapped out that meter with my only spare and made sure the spare properly registered a pour. Since then it's gone 24 hours without a hiccup.

Happy to have bought the spare. I'll have to put the suspect meter back in on a different tap to confirm that it's gone to Meter Heaven. Then see if the eBay vendor will replace it or not...

Cheers!

Normally you just plug it in to an open port and follow the following instructions.Scroll down to "Set Up the WiFi Connection".

http://raspberrypints.com/byo/step-3-operating-system-configuration-wflow-meters/

Hope this help.

Thanks ratsathome, I've followed the guide many times with no success. I feel that my adapter is no good. I'm going to get a new one and try it out. Also can any one tell me more about creating a static ip. I thought i did last night but this am none of my devices could connect. I guess I don't understand. I have a belkin n600 router if that helps. Thanks again, all of you are awesome for helping us techno slow pokes.

Edit: I plugged the wireless doggle into my laptop and it failed to install. Can I use this as evidence that it doesn't work? It is the EDIMAX that was recommended. I feel I should replace it. I'm going to continue the rest of the install until I can figure out the adapter and Static IP.

Edit 2: While scanning my router settings, I noticed that the "lease time" is set to forever on DHCPs. Does this mean I shouldn't need to set a static IP? Sorry again for the stupid questions.

im having an issue with pours not recognizing as well. i dont think the flow monitor script is running and i dont know what to do about it. i open terminal and run python flow_monitor.py hit enter and nothing happens just a gray vertical rectangle on the next line. i then open chromium and open localhost and pour a beer and nothing updates on either pints or the terminal screen. when i run ps aux | grep flow i get

pi 3276 0.0 0.1 3548 808 pts/0 S+ 18:34 0:00 grep --color=auto flow

i have all flow meter grounds going to a terminal strip, all the vin going to the next terminal, then each of the middle wires going to its own terminal. on the other end of the terminal strip is an ethernet wire. the other end of that goes to an ethernet jack. a cat5 plugs into that which is then soldered to a bread board and jumpers take it to the alamode board. had no problem programing the alamode. any suggestions?

[...]
Edit: I plugged the wireless doggle into my laptop and it failed to install. Can I use this as evidence that it doesn't work? It is the EDIMAX that was recommended. I feel I should replace it. I'm going to continue the rest of the install until I can figure out the adapter and Static IP.

Edit 2: While scanning my router settings, I noticed that the "lease time" is set to forever on DHCPs. Does this mean I shouldn't need to set a static IP? Sorry again for the stupid questions.

I'd say that wifi dongle is confirmed dead.
Bad luck - I have three of them running here.

As for the DHCP lease time, if you leave the 'Pi connected it'll keep renewing the lease when it gets halfway to expiration, so practically speaking there'd be little difference between a static IP and the DCHP IP...

Cheers!

im having an issue with pours not recognizing as well. i dont think the flow monitor script is running and i dont know what to do about it. i open terminal and run python flow_monitor.py hit enter and nothing happens just a gray vertical rectangle on the next line. i then open chromium and open localhost and pour a beer and nothing updates on either pints or the terminal screen. when i run ps aux | grep flow i get

pi 3276 0.0 0.1 3548 808 pts/0 S+ 18:34 0:00 grep --color=auto flow

If you ran that command from another terminal session while supposedly leaving the other session running the flow_monitor.py script, it wasn't running. Try running it as super user ($ sudo python /var/www/python/flow_monitor.py) and see if that makes any difference, or check the ownership and rights.

Cheers!

I would love to get flow meters installed on my setup, but the cost of shipping here to New Zealand is a killer. The ebay seller recommended on the raspberry pints website wants $129 for shipping on top of the $80 or so for four meters.
Does anybody happen to know of another source for these meters? Or can you tell me what features I should look for in a meter so I can try to find an alternative?

I would love to get flow meters installed on my setup, but the cost of shipping here to New Zealand is a killer. The ebay seller recommended on the raspberry pints website wants $129 for shipping on top of the $80 or so for four meters.
Does anybody happen to know of another source for these meters? Or can you tell me what features I should look for in a meter so I can try to find an alternative?

Ouch. Yea, I checked shipping to NZ, and it looks like from the states you're looking at ~$100 anyways....

You may want to check Adafruit's site, or see if you can source it somewhere in the EU or closer (I don't know if there's a source in Aus) that has them or not. I was going to offer to receive them and then ship them for you, but the cost of shipping is still greater than the cost of the meters.

Sorry. A bit off topic. I haven't actually gotten to my pints flow meter setup yet but working on brew stand setup. Do the sf 800s need to be on a pwm pin on the arduino/alamode? My screen is taking all of them up on my uno.

i opened terminal and typed

sudo python
it says version number of python and some commands you can use then i typed the next line and got error below

>>> /var/www/python/flow_monitor.py

File "<stdin>" ' Line 1
/var/www/python/flow_monitor.py
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Sneakybrian...

Try just
python /var/www/python/flow_monitor.py

Then you will see the blinking cursor on the next line and nothing else unless there is a pour.

If you do not see a pour open another terminal window and type

ps aux | grep python

And let us know what you see.

Thanks guys. It's the same ad, so I've sent the seller a message to ask if he'll extend the Australian shipping option to New Zealand.

python /var/www/python/flow_monitor.py didnt record a pour

ps aux | grep python came up with this

pi 4665 0.4 1.0 13000 4852 pts/0 S+ 22:26 0:00 /var/www /python/flow_monitor.py
pi 4678 0.0 0.1 3548 808 pts/1 S+ 22:27 0:00 grep --color=auto python

python /var/www/python/flow_monitor.py didnt record a pour

ps aux | grep python came up with this

pi 4665 0.4 1.0 13000 4852 pts/0 S+ 22:26 0:00 /var/www /python/flow_monitor.py
pi 4678 0.0 0.1 3548 808 pts/1 S+ 22:27 0:00 grep --color=auto python

There could be any number of reasons...

The first to check would be to kill the python script.
Rep load the sketch to the alamode and then open the serial monitor (under tools in the arduino program) and see if it's reading the pours.

So I'm back at the install today and it running into and issue. I'm on step 6 and when I went to delete the original apache nothing happened. Not sure if that is normal.

Second, I went to unzip the raspberry pints (it's on the r pi) and it says it can't find it. I have included a screen shot to see if I removed apache correctly and so someone can tell me why it's not finding r pints zip file. Thanks everyone. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410707619.133612.jpg

If Is means internet search, then I'm able to get on a websites. Sorry for the beginner level questions, I don't understand this very well.

I see the current V2 branch did not get the "day_trippr LED" function included in the /var/www/arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.ino AlaMode AVR sketch.

If it had, we could tell folks in sneakybrian's predicament to observe whether the LED comes on immediately after a pour. If it gets that far then things get a little easier to troubleshoot remotely...

Cheers!

[edit] And for anyone who wants that version of the RaspberryPints V2 AVR code, you can pull it from my Google Drive here.
Stick it in the same /var/www/arduino/raspberrypints/folder with the original (the edited sketch has a different name), fire up the Arduino IDE, select the new sketch and burn it baby! :)

If Is means internet search, then I'm able to get on a websites. Sorry for the beginner level questions, I don't understand this very well.

'ls' as a terminal session command displays the visible files and subordinate folders in the current folder.

Cheers!

[edit] That file name doesn't look right. The current V2 release zip file is named RaspberryPints-Version2.zip and can be downloaded as a zip file from here.

Try this in a terminal session:

$ sudo find / -name RaspberryPints-Version2.zip

Find will in fact find that file and tell you where it is...

This also works:

$ sudo find / -name RaspberryPints*

Update: I simply went into the download folder and moved it out and executed the command again. We are rolling once again.

Thanks for the help guys!

Finally up and running! No my issue is that when I tap a keg (with a clean one) it doesn't show up in the tap list. Also my background image doesn't show up either. Any thoughts?

Finally up and running! No my issue is that when I tap a keg (with a clean one) it doesn't show up in the tap list. Also my background image doesn't show up either. Any thoughts?

Running meters or no?
If you're running meters, tapping a keg requires setting the corresponding AlaMode pin. If you forget to set that the keg will never tap.

As for the background image, that's been a problem for others as well, though I don't remember how they fixed it (probably because THEY DIDN'T SAY :mad: )
Assuming it's in a usable format and size, make sure ownership and access rights are compatible...

CHeers!

Running meters or no?
If you're running meters, tapping a keg requires setting the corresponding AlaMode pin. If you forget to set that the keg will never tap.

As for the background image, that's been a problem for others as well, though I don't remember how they fixed it (probably because THEY DIDN'T SAY :mad: )
Assuming it's in a usable format and size, make sure ownership and access rights are compatible...

CHeers!

No meters running, I deleted all my kegs and cleared my taps and redid the whole thing and still nothing. I was able to change my logo and the title bar but that is it. I will verify that my image is the correct size and try again but as far as the taps, i'm not sure what to do.

No meters running, I deleted all my kegs and cleared my taps and redid the whole thing and still nothing. I was able to change my logo and the title bar but that is it. I will verify that my image is the correct size and try again but as far as the taps, i'm not sure what to do.

I wonder if the updated /admin/includes/models/tap.php file isn't in the kit you used? Which zip file did you download?

If you go here and right-click on tap.php and Save As, then use that file to replace the existing file in the /var/www/admin/includes/models/ location, I suspect your no-meter keg-tapping problem is resolved...
Cheers!

There could be any number of reasons...

The first to check would be to kill the python script.
Rep load the sketch to the alamode and then open the serial monitor (under tools in the arduino program) and see if it's reading the pours.

Can you tell me how to do all that? I've never done any of this stuff before.

I wonder if the updated /admin/includes/models/tap.php file isn't in the kit you used? Which zip file did you download?

If you go here and right-click on tap.php and Save As, then use that file to replace the existing file in the /var/www/admin/includes/models/ location, I suspect your no-meter keg-tapping problem is resolved...
Cheers!

I just downloaded the kit today. Should I do this on the pi or can this be done on my PC? when I went to SAVE AS on my pc it saved as a web page. What kind of file should this be?

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: I just downloaded the tap.php, now what? Do I go to the Terminal and put in the file name that you mentioned above? I search for a file but didn't see any folder for pints.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the directory tree. Lets see if it works. Thanks a gain day trippr
Cheers

Here we go again. I added the tap file and rebooted. No when I reboot, the github website come up and not the tap list. What the heck did I do?

Cheers x 10

Edit: When I go onto my pc and put in the IP for the Pi it comes up with the same Github page. ??????

Edit: i searched the original thread and found this: sudo rm/var/www/index.html. Would this fix my issue?

'ls' as a terminal session command displays the visible files and subordinate folders in the current folder.

Cheers!

[edit] That file name doesn't look right. The current V2 release zip file is named RaspberryPints-Version2.zip and can be downloaded as a zip file from here.

Try this in a terminal session:

$ sudo find / -name RaspberryPints-Version2.zip

Find will in fact find that file and tell you where it is...

This also works:

$ sudo find / -name RaspberryPints*

Old school dos commands work too. In place of ls you could type dir to get a list of files in a list.

Also, if you are unsure of the whole file/folder name you can start typing it and press tab. it will fill in the first listing completing the name, tabbing again will go to the next one, and so on. saves lots of typing.

Here we go again. I added the tap file and rebooted. No when I reboot, the github website come up and not the tap list. What the heck did I do?

Cheers x 10

Edit: When I go onto my pc and put in the IP for the Pi it comes up with the same Github page. ??????

Edit: i searched the original thread and found this: sudo rm/var/www/index.html. Would this fix my issue?

I think you downloaded the github html page and are now serving that to yourself.

Old school dos commands work too. In place of ls you could type dir to get a list of files in a list.

Also, if you are unsure of the whole file/folder name you can start typing it and press tab. it will fill in the first listing completing the name, tabbing again will go to the next one, and so on. saves lots of typing.

I think you downloaded the github html page and are now serving that to yourself.

I think you are right, just checked. How do I "Save as" the file that was mentioned (tap.php)? every time I do its just the html webpage and not the file. I'm I not right clicking on the right link?

Aw, ****.
My bad - you can't download files like that from github.

Pull the original tap.php from the downloaded V2 kit and put it back - making sure the ownership and access rights match the other files in that folder. Should get back to square one, then we'll find a way to get the updated tap.php file to you.

Wife's callin' for dinner and won't be kept waitin'...

Cheers!

Aw, ****.
My bad - you can't download files like that from github.

Pull the original tap.php from the downloaded V2 kit and put it back - making sure the ownership and access rights match the other files in that folder. Should get back to square one, then we'll find a way to get the updated tap.php file to you.

Wife's callin' for dinner and won't be kept waitin'...

Cheers!

Better go EAT! Don't want to make her wait :) I know how that is. Thanks for the help, i'm back to square one. My list finally shows again but I can't tap a keg. Let me know what I should do. Thanks again.

Cheers

Edit: I do have another question. How do you get back to the tap list when your working on the pi. Basically if I wanted to start a mp3 player on the pi, how do i go back and show my tap list in kiosk mode?

Better go EAT! Don't want to make her wait :) I know how that is. Thanks for the help, i'm back to square one. My list finally shows again but I can't tap a keg. Let me know what I should do. Thanks again.

Cheers

Edit: I do have another question. How do you get back to the tap list when your working on the pi. Basically if I wanted to start a mp3 player on the pi, how do i go back and show my tap list in kiosk mode?

Alt tab should work, or you can hit F-11 to un-full screen it, bring up whatever else you want and then alt-F-11 to re full screen it.

Sorry 'bout that (wife made an Italian braised beef thing that was fabulous :) )

Anyway, I think I may have this sorted.

I believe the kit that was downloaded was pulled from the Release tree - thus the zip file name RaspberryPints-2.0.0.zip.

That archive has been unofficially superseded by the branch listed as Version2 found here. If you download the zip file found on that page you'll have the latest set of files - including the updated /var/www/admin/includes/models/tap.php file.

In fact if you peruse the dates on the files shown at the above link you'll see many files that have been updated since the V2.0.0 release, including index.php in the root /var/www folder, /python/flowmon which is the new service file to run /var/www/python/flow_monitor.py, along withe aforementioned tap.php.

So you might want to expand the zip file somewhere and then copy those three files on top of their predecessor versions, and as always make sure ownership and rights are set correctly...

Cheers!

Back