[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure most know the following, but the information deserves dissemination as we have new folks joining us all the time.

Once Raspberry Pi and Raspberry Pints are up and working then make a clone of the SD card. SD cards can and will fail. Without a clone one must suffer thru the agony of doing everything all over again.

There are several ways of accomplishing the SD card clone, but, to me, the easiest way is simply using the one built into Raspbian. In Raspbian click Accessories-> SD Card Copier.

Purchase several microSD cards when they are on sale. Get from NewEgg, Frys, etc.

Get at least the same size as the current SD card or larger SD capacity.

Using the SD Card Copier it’s not possible to create an image in the file system, swap out the SD card and then write the image to the backup SD card. I use a multi-card header with a USB connection. This works fine in the Raspberry Pi. Simply plug in the multi-card header into one of the USB slots and Raspberry Pi recognized it.

OK. Let’s get started.

1. If not already running, start the Raspberry Pi.

2. If the browser is running displaying Raspberry Pints, exit the browser by pressing Alt-F4.

3. Insert the new microSD card into the header and insert the multi-card header into one of the Pi’s USB slots. In a bit a dialog appears asking to show the SD contents in File Explorer. Cancel this request. Likewise, if Raspbian complains about the SD card needing formatting, ignore the request as the copy will handle things.

4. Click the Raspberry Pi logo in the upper left hand and then click Accessories-> SD Card Copier.

5. In the dialog that appears ensure the source is the running microSD card and the destination is the new microSD card in the multi-card header.

6. If things are OK then click the Start button. Wait for the copy to finish as there are probably more than 1 partition.

7. When the SD card copy has completed, shutdown the Raspberry Pi.

8. When the Raspberry Pi has completely shut down, unplug the power from the Pi.

9. Remove the microSD card from the Pi. Handle carefully. Don’t cause static. Place the microSD card on a non-conductive/non-plastic surface, probably anti-static bag is best.

10. Remove the newly created microSD card from the multi-card header and carefully insert the microSD card into the Pi. Ensure correct side is up/down when inserting.

11. Plug in the power to the Pi and power on the Pi. Wait until everything is ready. If the new microSD card is larger than the original it will take a while the first time booting as the OS will adjust things for the new microSD card size. Eventually, we’ll see the Raspberry Pints display in the browser.

12. Woohoo! The clone backup is working.

13. Power down the Pi.

14. When the Raspberry Pi has completely shut down, unplug the power from the Pi.

15. Remove the microSD card and put in a safe, clearly marked anti-static location.

16. Insert the original microSD card into the Pi.

17. Use Raspberry Pints as usual. If the microSD card dies, we now have a backup.

I know, I know. Sounds like a LOT of steps, but I wanted to describe in detail the steps.

Hope others find the information useful. I will also post this information at the GitHub Raspberry Pints release.

I just tried to redo the update and received the same error. I did the following:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rtlindne/RaspberryPints/master/util/installRaspberryPints

chmod +x installRaspberryPints

sudo ./installRaspberryPints

Once that was finished, I went into raspberry pints and clicked update under the install tab. This is where I received the error. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

RanR+ I am getting back to trying to get my flow meters working after sevearl weeks away fro the project. I just tried updating and I received:
"Validating Entries...Success!"
"Checking DB connectivity...Success connecting to Database!"
"Checking config folder permissions...Success!"
"Upgrading Raspberry Pints...error in query 57[SET @preparedStatement = (SELECT IF((SELECT COUNT(*)][You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near "'UPDATE kegs k INNER JOIN taps t ON k.onTapID = t.id SET k.startAmount = Lstart' at line 11]"

Also, I see there is a far right column for Poured in day_trippers post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...taplist-solution.487694/page-124#post-8681925
I don't have that column, does that indicate I may have an initial setting incorrect?

Thank you again for all your help! I am hopeful I am near getting this to work! I have 2x 5gal fermenters that just started yesterday that I would like to get this up and running for by the time they are flowing from kegs!

I don't run that version but while you await RandR+ go back through the settings and look for "use flow meters" or something similar. There's a meter count to set as well - and it may be it simply takes a non-zero setting to enable the flow meters and put the keg volume column on the display.

Cheers!

error in query 57...[
make sure you pull latest from GitHub, I checked and the files doesn't contain Lstart'

as for the pours columns, check the personalize page under admin, there is an option for Show Keg Column that needs to be set to on

Assuming the hardware requirements are the same, is the only difference between Raspberry Pints 1 and 2 the aesthetics? I couldn't locate a changes release notes.

Also I'm surprised at (by scrolling the first 10-12 pages) how many people are actually spending the $60 a pop on flow meters. It's badass but I'm still debating on if I want to cough up $300 for my tap sets.

Cheers

wrt flow meters, many of the earliest adopters scored them "gently-used" from an eBay seller for $20 per. I picked up 10 of them, and to be frank, compared to my net expenditures over almost 16 years of home brewing, that was an "incidental" cost. Besides, enabling volume tracking - just from the techno-dweeb factor - is totally worth it :D

Aaanyway...Forget "version 1", it's irrelevant. And, for that matter, so is "version 2.0.1" - the kit that supports flow meters.
There have been numerous consequential changes in the Raspberry Pi environment since Memorial Day 2014 such that the original kits found via raspberrypints.com are no longer practically viable.

But take heart, there are HBT folks that have taken the original kit and modified it to work with the currently available Raspbian operating system packages with the same functionality as the original; and another effort that also made some operational changes plus integrated some user-originated features. Work your way back a ways from here, and for the former effort look for @Tobor_8thMan, while for the latter look for @RandR+...

Cheers!

wrt flow meters, many of the earliest adopters scored them "gently-used" from an eBay seller for $20 per. I picked up 10 of them, and to be frank, compared to my net expenditures over almost 16 years of home brewing, that was an "incidental" cost. Besides, enabling volume tracking - just from the techno-dweeb factor - is totally worth it :D

Aaanyway...Forget "version 1", it's irrelevant. And, for that matter, so is "version 2.0.1" - the kit that supports flow meters.
There have been numerous consequential changes in the Raspberry Pi environment since Memorial Day 2014 such that the original kits found via raspberrypints.com are no longer practically viable.

But take heart, there are HBT folks that have taken the original kit and modified it to work with the currently available Raspbian operating system packages with the same functionality as the original; and another effort that also made some operational changes plus integrated some user-originated features. Work your way back a ways from here, and for the former effort look for @Tobor_8thMan, while for the latter look for @RandR+...

Cheers!
So are the hardware requirements and files/instructions on the website still the same? I order a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Board for this project, hoping its still applicable.

A 3B is fine, the issues are not hardware related but instead are due to raspbian.org's relentless need to release a new OS package almost yearly it seems, and each time the application packages are advanced to new versions as well (or outright replaced, in the case of mysql disappearing from the official release stream in favor of mariaDB because of Oracle's tentacles around mysql).

My recommended kit would be either a 3B or 3B+, and if using flow meters, an Uno R3 (as opposed to an Alamode which requires low-level software support from a surprisingly obtuse company - Wyolum - and can be a pita to get working).

From there you have to decide which RaspberryPints fork to follow as I described above. While the basic constructs (and associated requisite support packages) of the two most available options are quite similar to the original, as I attempted to elucidate above the original kit is no longer viable as too many package references have gone stale...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help!
RandR+ is a HBT HERO for sure!!

IMG_4205.JPG
IMG_4206.JPG

Work your way back a ways from here, and for the former effort look for @Tobor_8thMan, while for the latter look for @RandR+...

Cheers!

Is there a specific page where the two efforts fork? I enjoy reading, but 126 pages is beyond my simple brain. I've got the RPi, an Uno R3 and of course el cheapo flow meters, but just need a place to start.

A 3B is fine, the issues are not hardware related but instead are due to raspbian.org's relentless need to release a new OS package almost yearly it seems, and each time the application packages are advanced to new versions as well (or outright replaced, in the case of mysql disappearing from the official release stream in favor of mariaDB because of Oracle's tentacles around mysql).

My recommended kit would be either a 3B or 3B+, and if using flow meters, an Uno R3 (as opposed to an Alamode which requires low-level software support from a surprisingly obtuse company - Wyolum - and can be a pita to get working).

From there you have to decide which RaspberryPints fork to follow as I described above. While the basic constructs (and associated requisite support packages) of the two most available options are quite similar to the original, as I attempted to elucidate above the original kit is no longer viable as too many package references have gone stale...

Cheers!
Can you confirm this is what I want rather than the Alamode?

https://www.amazon.com/RoboGets-Com...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also,

Are there any sanitation concerns for using the flow sensors seeing as they're plastic and have (I believe) rotating propellers?

Last edited:
Can you confirm this is what I want rather than the Alamode?

Yup, that's the one. All of my BrewPi remote "minions" use that same board.

Also, are there any sanitation concerns for using the flow sensors seeing as they're plastic and have (I believe) rotating propellers?

None known here. I've been running six of them for years now with periodic recirculating cleaning with zero issues.
Yes, they have rotors like boat propellers...

Cheers!

Well I did it - all 126 pages plus the 45 or so of the old thread. I think I can say I've learned something but there are some things that still elude me - like what to do now that I've got an uno with a bluetooth shield that I've managed to get running. I know I have to get a script onto it in order to read the meters, but which one, and how. I used RandR+ script to load everything on to the Pi and the tap list seems to function ( although I discovered my router is incapable of issuing static ip's to specific connected devices - seems all or nothing).

If you guru's don't mind - I'd like to pick your brains from time to time..... but first - off to the basement for a pint of my freshly kegged neipa.

I know I have to get a script onto it in order to read the meters, but which one, and how
I haven't used Bluetooth but I assume you will want to pair the Uno with the Pi and then attempt to upload a sketch to it (/var/www/html/arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.ino) by clicking on the Tools menu going to Serial Port and selecting Bluetooth (I think its /dev/rfcomm0) before hitting the upload button

If you selected to use flow meters when you ran my script and selected Bluetooth as the connection then you should only need to pair the Uno with the Pi and restart the script (sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon restart) on startup the flow monitor code will automatically try to upload the sketch to the board. You can look at /var/log/rpints.log to see if there were any errors during startup

Yes, the port would be /dev/rfcomm0 if that's the only BT serial device connected.

fwiw, for reference (but perhaps not guidance) years ago I was able to get Raspberry Pints communicating between flow meters and host over both Bluetooth (using an HC-05) and Wifi (using an esp8266). Take a look at this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...-taplist-solution.487694/page-55#post-7722587

There's way more there than you'll need using a bluetooth shield. Unless RandR+'s kit doesn't do it all for you, you need to edit flow_monitor.py (or its equivalent port listener) to point to the correct device identifier - rfcomm0, as well as specifying the right baud rate to use. And the Arduino sketch needs an edit to specify the baud rate for whatever adapter you're using. For the HC05 and HC06 I used 57.6K which is essentially their happy place...

Cheers!

[edit] Just remembered something: I was never able to do OTA updates to the Uno over Bluetooth as there was no mechanism to hit the 328P with a reset to force it to load code. In my case I just did the one-time burn over USB and all was good to go, but iirc RandR+'s kit tries to upload the sketch every time it's started.

Depending on that Bluetooth shield design, that may work fine. Or not. Keep an eye out for it though...

Unless RandR+'s kit doesn't do it all for you, you need to edit flow_monitor.py (or its equivalent port listener) to point to the correct device identifier - rfcomm0, as well as specifying the right baud rate to us
The port configuration is done via my script, but it don't change the serial baud rate. the sketch part of it is tricky to make it configurable without changing the code.

So Yes anyone trying to use Bluetooth will need to update the baudrate in Flowmonitor.py and the sketch manually (either uploading manually and removing the .cpp.hex file from \arduino\raspberrypints or replace it with the new compile after the baud rate change)

If you haven't bought those stem inserts yet I'd be happy to mail you a dozen (maybe more) of them. Even to Canada :)
I switched my lines from Bevlex 200 3/16" ID/7/16" OD to EVAbarrier 4mm ID/8mm OD and replaced all of the flow meter adapters with 3/8" BSPP to 5/16" OD adapters so the line plugs straight in...

Cheers!

If you haven't bought those stem inserts yet I'd be happy to mail you a dozen (maybe more) of them. Even to Canada :)
I switched my lines from Bevlex 200 3/16" ID/7/16" OD to EVAbarrier 4mm ID/8mm OD and replaced all of the flow meter adapters with 3/8" BSPP to 5/16" OD adapters so the line plugs straight in...

Cheers!
I am stunned by your generous spirit! Thank you - that would be wonderful of you. Please let me know what I owe you for the stems and postage. I'll P.M my address.

I haven't used Bluetooth but I assume you will want to pair the Uno with the Pi and then attempt to upload a sketch to it (/var/www/html/arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.ino) by clicking on the Tools menu going to Serial Port and selecting Bluetooth (I think its /dev/rfcomm0) before hitting the upload button

If you selected to use flow meters when you ran my script and selected Bluetooth as the connection then you should only need to pair the Uno with the Pi and restart the script (sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon restart) on startup the flow monitor code will automatically try to upload the sketch to the board. You can look at /var/log/rpints.log to see if there were any errors during startup

When I go to Tools; Serial Port - it's greyed out. The currently connected port shows as /dev/ttyACM0, yet when I hit Tools; Serial Monitor it says " serial port /dev/ttyACM0 not found. When I connect the Pi to the Uno it says " paired successfully, but this device has no services which can be used with Raspberry Pi" Talk about mixed signals!

Oh and when I go to flow_monitor.py it is completely blank!

Talk about mixed signals!
I'm am no expert in Bluetooth UNO connection, but after a quick read I think you need to program the Uno via USB then once that's done you can setup Bluetooth.

flow_monitor.py it is completely blank!
Did you use elevated privileges? such as sudo nano /var/www/html/python/FlowMonitor.py if you did not normal privileges cant open the file and show it as empty.

I did sudo, but didn't list the path - just sudo nano flowmonitor.py and got the blank file. Using the full path seems to have worked and now I see plenty of text. Thank you!

Any idea why serial port under tools is greyed out?

.. sorry guys - I'm just not seeing any reference to ports/ port listening/ baud rate etc in FlowMonitor.py

seems somewhat organized: RFID / Motion detection etc, but I see nothing refering to serial ports, or baud rates even usin the ^w function to search. Could either of you gentlemen narrow it down for me?

On a parellel but likely unrelated subject - I hooked up my motion sensor, ran the test script ( motion detected!) successfully, however upon reboot I let the screen blank ( after 1 min) but the motion sensor doesn't wake the screen. Any clues?

I'd love to help but I have zero experience with RandR+'s version, so I don't know what/how things are configured.
But somewhere the port reference has to be rfcomm0 (assuming the first BT/ser device) and I think you'll find the baud rate needs to be set to 57.6K at both ends as that was the setting I found the HC-05 and HC-06 devices to be happiest with.

And as I've mentioned often, unless a specific BT/serial bridge provides a reset mechanism "known" by the flasher (in our case, typically "avrdude") you have to program the Uno via USB...

Cheers!

That's the angle I'm working now with that old post of your and a usb cable.

Any idea why the PIR tests succesfully, but in operation it doesn't wake from the blank screen?

Out of interest what Raspbian version are you using?
Generally, that symptom points to "failure to launch" the pir_run.py script.
That can happen because the ORG keeps moving the &^#%$@! startup folder with every version.

If you do a
Code:
$ ps aux|grep pir_run.py

you should see something like this:
Code:
pi@rpints ~ $ ps aux|grep pir_run.py
root      3008  0.0  0.2   5080  2672 ?        S    Nov07   0:00 sudo python /home/pi/pir_run.py
root      3015  0.0  0.5  16916  5652 ?        Sl   Nov07   0:13 python /home/pi/pir_run.py
pi       15842  0.0  0.1   4044  1844 pts/0    S+   20:48   0:00 grep --color=auto pir_run.py
pi@rpints ~ $

If you only get the last line then pir_run.py was not running.
[edit]
/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart referenced in my old post is an old (Wheezy) location.
/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart was used with Jessie, and maybe Stretch.
/home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart was also used by one or both. (Note 'pi' is the user login identity. If you log in with a different user name verify your "home" location and use that).

I have no idea what Buster uses. Give the second and third locations a try. One of those should work...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back