Vermont Well Water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
anyone know if i need to filter this? I want to do an ESB with wyeast limited yorkshire yeast. i usually use only bottled water, but was thinking of filling 10 1 gallon jugs next time i am in Vermont and using that water to brew. i have a home in Warren, Vt on well water -Sugarbush access RD. I know sean Lwson brews in the area, and probably uses the same type of water, just not sure of the actual profile and how many microorganisms would be in well water from that area.

would you chance it?

would you chance it?

If the place has an occupancy permit the well has been tested for bacteria and passed. Of more concern is the mineral profile. Filters have no effect on this (except for ferric iron). FWIW (as a few miles can make a lot of difference) I have a place on a well about 70 mi. north of you and the water is atrocious (alkalinity of nearly 300). But it tastes bad too (at least to me - my family doesn't find anything wrong with it). In general if a well produces water that tastes good it will make good beer in at least a few styles (the diverse styles really evolved because of diversity in water supplies). First thing you need to do is get an analysis.

ok, thanks. I should be able to grab that from my property manager.

Beer was the drink of choice in the days before effective water treatment since it included boiling to sterilize the water. That well water should be OK biologically after boiling. That still leaves the mineralogical and organic contaminant question unresolved. If people are drinking it now, I'd say there are enough Guinea Pigs to OK its use in that case. Follow AJ's advice and get the water tested to find out its mineralogic content.

Back