Venturing into THICCCC BOIIII stout territory, advice requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorB2B

Reaction score
I'm relatively new back into brewing. I purchased a couple of 1 gallon kits from Brooklyn Brewing. I have the Beer Geek Breakfast and the Black is Beautiful. Thinking I want to experiment and combine these guys to make a 1 gallon batch of a bigger stout.

Couple of questions.
1) Per the instructions, 3 quarts water to be used for boil per kit. Obviously, I plan on increasing this given l'm using 2 kits. Should I just stick with 6 quarts or use a bit more?
2) 60min boil time recommended, given anticipated ABV 12-15%, should I boil longer or would 60 be satisfactory?
3) Each kit came with yeast packet ... unknown what they are but suspect they can tolerate alcohol levels of 10-12% given the expected ABV of the BIB is 10%. Should I procure a different yeast strain altogether?

I'm sure I'll think of more ... thanks in advance!

You're going to use all of the ingredients from both kits in a one gallon batch? Just want to be clear on what you are doing.

60 minutes is plenty of time for a boil.

If you give us the ingredients of the kits, we can help out with a likely OG/FG and ABV and a good yeast strain.

This may not be a great idea, but it's up to you of course.

What is frustrating is that Brooklyn beer shop doesn't provide you with what the ingredients are. They send a bag of milled grain, a small package of hops and yeast and off you go.

I was thinking about using all of the grain to make a one gallon batch, yes.

The BiB Imperial Stout is a damn fine beer. I wouldn't mess with it. If you want really big ABV beer then use a recipe specific to what you want to achieve.

Back