Venturing into small batch BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
I'd like to start experimenting more with recipes and figured BIAB in 2 gal batches would be a good start.
I picked up a 3 gal SS pot at the store to dedicate to this process. In trying to gauge my water boil off rate, it took my electric stove nearly a hour to bring one gal of water to a very pitiful boil.
So I picked up this butane burner last night. One gallon of water at 45F to boiling in 21 minutes. 8000 BTU, $25, $2.31 for fuel. I had a gift card, so I paid nothing out of pocket. Coninuously burning on high for about an hour seemed to deplete the fuel can by a least half. I'll weigh the can tonight to seem what the actual usage was.
The SWMBO hates my 4 hour brew sessions, so this should keep me in the house and cut my brew time significantly. More brews, more variety, better pipeline. Its a win win. :mug:
Looking forward to my first attempt at brewing tonight.
BTW, the water lost to boil was one quart for a 30 min boil. That seems like a lot to me, but its bone dry in Fairbanks this time of year.

IMG_20140212_203804.jpg

I saw someplace that you can sometimes get a "canning" burner for the stove, also consider starting with hot water from the water heater, I can find no difference when I do that or use my cold water, good luck

I just did a 3.5 gallon boil for 120 minutes and I had close to 2 gallons at the end. The boil was slow to start, still rolling then I jacked it up to a vigorous boil for the last 1.5 hrs. so 1.5 hrs 3.5 gallons lost 1.5 in 120mins

BTW, I have the same propane burner and it does not like to go for long periods. It has a heat sink for the propane supply and it heats the little supply can. When the can gets hot, it pops off and shuts down.

Here we go. Draining the bag. Good boil underway. 2 gals of apple juice will go into the fermenter with this amber beer base. Sound familiar.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

1392534390318.jpg

1392534407430.jpg

Did a 2 gallon smash recipe the other day and with a 60 min boil lost over a gallon. I'm using an electric stove so the boiloff rate kind of surprised me

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How does Apple juice plus Amber beer taste? Did I read that right?

How does Apple juice plus Amber beer taste? Did I read that right?

Look at Brandon O's Graff recipe on the cider board. I don't know what the finished product will be like but the wort was pretty tasty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Back