Varying carbonation - by juice type?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmeaser

Reaction score
It seems like with every batch, I get differing amounts of carbonation. For instance, when I make watermelon, it gets very carbonated and very fast. But when I make mango, it doesn't get very cabonated in the same amount of time. I guess I've just assumed that all my recipes would carbonate at the same rate. Am I wrong to think so? Are there particular juices / recipes that get "more" carbonated, or ones that just take a long time to get carbonated? I like my booch with a lot of fizz! Thanks.

Varying amounts of fructose in different fruits basically equates to different amounts of sugar. You'll need to find out the amount of fructose in each fruit and balance in comparison to each other.

It seems to me that it’s not just about sugar. I did an experiment with my last batch, bottling some plain, some with added corn sugar which is used for carbonating beer. I found no difference between those bottles. However, some I added some hibiscus petals and/or dried chrysanthemum flowers and all of those carbonated. It seems like without certain vegetal matter, almost all of the sugars are consumed by the bacteria instead of the yeast. I have no idea why this happens.

Back