Varying carbonation - by juice type?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dmeaser

Reaction score
It seems like with every batch, I get differing amounts of carbonation. For instance, when I make watermelon, it gets very carbonated and very fast. But when I make mango, it doesn't get very cabonated in the same amount of time. I guess I've just assumed that all my recipes would carbonate at the same rate. Am I wrong to think so? Are there particular juices / recipes that get "more" carbonated, or ones that just take a long time to get carbonated? I like my booch with a lot of fizz! Thanks.

rushpapers

Son-of-a-Booch
Reaction score
Varying amounts of fructose in different fruits basically equates to different amounts of sugar. You'll need to find out the amount of fructose in each fruit and balance in comparison to each other.

Craiginthecorn

Reaction score
It seems to me that it’s not just about sugar. I did an experiment with my last batch, bottling some plain, some with added corn sugar which is used for carbonating beer. I found no difference between those bottles. However, some I added some hibiscus petals and/or dried chrysanthemum flowers and all of those carbonated. It seems like without certain vegetal matter, almost all of the sugars are consumed by the bacteria instead of the yeast. I have no idea why this happens.

rushpapers

Son-of-a-Booch
Reaction score
Did you calculate and record the amount you added?

I have noticed that kombucha likes pulp. You may be correct.

Latest posts