Variant of Pappy's pub cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imacfrog

Reaction score
Did a variant of Pappy's pub cider and after ten days it is still fermenting. Is this normal?

Short awnser? Yes.
Long awnser, still yes, but more information is needed. Why do say it is still fermenting? Did you take hydrometer reading, or just looking at bubbles. What yeast did you use, what temp was it kept at, what did you do to vary the recipie?
What you asked basically is " I have a blue car, it made a noise. Is it ok?"

Sorry,I should know better than to speak in overly broad generalities! :(

I used two parts Cranberry Juice and three parts Apple juice. A Brewer's Best Cider Yeast sachet. Yes, still bubbling and did take a reading and has not moved much (a point or two). Initially my spouse shut the heat off in the room (well under 50 degrees-Maine) so I added the 1/4 teaspoon of yeast nutrient called for in the recipe to jump start it and put the heat back up to 68.

Is this enough info? :confused:

Start 1.070 now 1.068 would the yeast nutrient have affected the OG?

Last edited:
Yeah, it sounds like you have a really slow start going on. This is most likely caused by the low temps. Give it a couple of three days and it should start rolling along. If not, toss another yeast packet on top of it, but I double you will need to do that.

Is now bubbling at a rate of once every three seconds with an occasional double![emoji16]

So I think I finally found the solution to my weak fermentation result. After one month and only minimal fermentation, I racked the batch and found it was still very sweet even though fermentation had stopped (verified by checking gravity).

Went to nearby combination brewery and home brewing supply store. He recommended re-pitching the yeast with a more hardy stock. Used White Labs champagne yeast (with a sugar water mix) and within fifteen minutes I had full scale fermentation (serious bubbling)! Yeast rated for alcohol content of 17% and cider suppose to come in at 14-15 so I should be alright.

Hopefully, I will finally get to enjoy my efforts. When I racked the cider, I tasted the little left in the fermenter. It had a little kick, a bit sweet but very tasty. Cannot wait for final results.

Latest posts

Back