Vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonOi

Reaction score
I just made a batch of oatmeal stout last night and though it might be good to add a hint of vanilla. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

If I don`t have vanilla beans on hand I add 1oz. pure vanilla extract to the
bottom of my bottling bucket with the corn sugar.It gives me just the right
amount of vanilla flavor in the beers I use it in.Hope this helps

I always use an alcohol based vanilla extract. The stuff at costco works pretty well. I add a TBSP or 2 depending on the flavor profile I want after fermentation is complete.

If you want to get complicated and make your own extract- no sweat. Just split a vanilla bean in half and soak in an ounce of vodka for about a week.

You can find Madagascar vanilla beans with the spices at WalMart. Take one and slice it long ways, then cut those in half. Put them in a sanitized container and pour enough vodka in to cover them. Let them sit for a few days or a week then dump it in your secondary and rack onto that. Dump the vodka and all in, by the way.

That's how I've done it and it's been great.

If I put 1oz of pure vanilla extract in my secondary how long should I let it sit? 3 weeks primary 1 week secondary? This is only my second batch so I'm still really new to all of this so any advice is appreciated.

Add it in after Primary fermentation is complete then let it sit as long as you would normally, bottle or keg, condition, then drink.

If you plan on using a secondary, put it in your secondary vessel and let it sit a few weeks. I typically add vanilla to my primary after about a week and then let it sit for 2 more. Then I bottle and let it condition in the bottle for 3 weeks. I shy away from secondaries unles using fruit or sometimes I use them for dry hopping.

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing that you are saying about a secondary, why do you not prefer using them?

If I put 1oz of pure vanilla extract in my secondary how long should I let it sit? 3 weeks primary 1 week secondary? This is only my second batch so I'm still really new to all of this so any advice is appreciated.

I`ve never used it in the secondary,always at bottling.I guess it depends
on how much vanilla flavor you want.For me at bottling it is not
overpowering but you can definitely taste it.Actually tomorrow I am
bottling 5.5 gals of Vanilla Cream Ale and will use this method again as
I always do.When I use vanilla beans they go in the secondary as poster
above said.Split,soak in vodka or bourbon and let sit until you bottle.

cheers

Back