Vanilla Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
Thinking of trying vanilla powder or ground vanilla in my porter instead of beans. Any suggestions? Add to boil, primary or secondary? Equivalents for 8 gal batch?

I make vanilla porters all the time. It's my favorite to brew and drink. I add 2 cut and scraped beans to the secondary. I use vodka to sanitize the beans.

I would say secondary. Can't help you with how much to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I make vanilla porters all the time. It's my favorite to brew and drink. I add 2 cut and scraped beans to the secondary. I use vodka to sanitize the beans.

How long do you leave them in? I have left 2 in for 5 days and didnt get much vanilla. tried with vodka once but still not much vanilla.

I have used pure vanilla extract. The real stuff, not imitation. I have found 1tsp per 5 gallons to be good and use it in secondary or after primary is done and just prior to packaging.

I've had good luck with beans. I cut 3 of them into thirds. Then I slice those pieces in half the long way and throw them in a whitelabs vial with either rum or vodka on brew day. Then I just dump them right in the keg and rack on top of them. I use this in a vanilla milk stout and I've had great vanilla flavor. Plus I like the little vanilla floaties on the head for authenticity.

e

I am pretty sure the answer is yes but just wanted to check....

When you guys scrape the beans, you put the stuff you scrape out into the fermentor with the skin of the beans too correct?

Thats how i did it when i made a smoked vanilla porter, but only left them in for 4 days and didnt get much flavor.

I don't scrape mine. Just soak the sliced beans in liquor. A lot of vanilla extracts have a high percent of alcohol so I figured it must work to get more flavor.

good luck
e

Back