Vacuum sealing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic4963

Reaction score
Thinking bout buying my basic grains in bulk and vacuum sealing them, any thoughts on this? How long would they be good for and what not?

I just "seal" mine in 5 gallon buckets. I believe they are good for at least a year. If you have a vacuum sealer, go for it, but you are just adding extra expense. They don't need to be vacuum packed, just cool and dry.

Vacuum sealing applies more to hops, which oxidize rather rapidly, than to malt, which is actually quite stable. Malt really only needs to be preserved if it is already crushed. For un-ground malt, as long as you don't let it get damp, and no rodents or insects can get to it, it should do fine in a regular container. OTOH, bulk hops most certainly can and should be vacuum sealed, if you have the vacuum sealer available for it.

I have 300 lbs of grain...and I vacuum sealed all of it. I have read threads where people get sacks of grain, and in time the 1 or 2 bugs that were in the sac decimated the entire stock, breed-ed and spread. NOT GONNA HAPPEN TO ME!!!
I vacuum sealed it and put it in a plastic storage container with a lid. Will last for years.....and no worries about bugs or mice.:rockin:

Actually those little beetle eggs are already in there, they will hatch if given warmth and moisture. I use buckets with lids in my cool dry basement.

I bought some 5 gallon mylar bags from amazon along with some oxygen absorber packets. I put the mylar bags in 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids. It might be a little overkill, but I have to store my grain in the garage and I don't want vermin getting to them or bugs growing inside the buckets and eating all the grain before I get to use it. I do have a Foodsaver but it can't seal the mylar bags, so squeezing as much air out of the bags before throwing a oxygen absorber packet in and sealing it up quickly is the best I can do.

I have 300 lbs of grain...and I vacuum sealed all of it. I have read threads where people get sacks of grain, and in time the 1 or 2 bugs that were in the sac decimated the entire stock, breed-ed and spread. NOT GONNA HAPPEN TO ME!!!
I vacuum sealed it and put it in a plastic storage container with a lid. Will last for years.....and no worries about bugs or mice.:rockin:

I guess the bigger question is...why do you have 300 lbs of grain? Especially since you said it will take you years to go through it? I guess if you live in a foreign country it makes sense.

Back