vacuum sealers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldebrewer

Reaction score
I've tried one brand of low cost vacuum sealing bags from the local grocery with lame results. The bags lose seal over time. Anybody know of a good quality brand of vacuum storage system?

And a related topic that has no doubt been around: Will crushed grains sealed in vacuum bags keep as long as un-crushed grains? I'm hoping so, but guessing not.

That's good to know, I got a sears gift card and was looking to buy beer related items, a cheaper source of bags is good.

Check costco if you have a membership. They always have a good deal on the Foodsaver unit and bags as well.

If you are using this for hops why not go with Mason jars with the accesory jar sealer or you can even use a canister to seal the jars. They are then reusable, super cheap and you don't have to fiddle around with sealing bags all day or even buyings bags to begin with.

Not sure what brand you tried but I've been using the ziplock vacuum pump bags for hops and cheeses and they work wonderful, sealed properly they stay sealed and packed.

If you are using this for hops why not go with Mason jars with the accesory jar sealer or you can even use a canister to seal the jars. They are then reusable, super cheap and you don't have to fiddle around with sealing bags all day or even buyings bags to begin with.

Second this.

I use a $7 pump and mason jars. Works great.

If your looking for a hand held vacuum pump then harbor freight or an auto parts store is your best bet.
I've heard they work just fine, Pump it until it reads about 20" of vac.

I worked at a fish plant for a summer and besides the $5000 unit i would have to say a $50-100 food saver will do about anying they (trust me i have tried) like someone else has metioned Costco seems to have great bag deals if you buy in bulk. They have the more expensive sealers also

I stood in the Department store isle for 20 minutes looking at the store brand bags. I googled and found too many having issues with the much cheaper product and decided the old cliche was reliable; you get what you pay for.
That being said, here are some tricks I've learned: 1. Before and after use, completely clean the long oval seal, top and bottom. Before use and during prolonged use, clean the seal and keep it moist. 2. After moistening the seal top and bottom, use a paper towel to completely dry the flat heat element and top press. 3. When you seal a bag the light comes on and goes out when done, leave the sealer clamped for an additional 3 - 4 seconds. 4. Pressing down lightly while the bag is vacuuming and sealing seems to help. 5. Remember to keep the oval seal moist and the heat element dry. 6. I recently started using clear plastic wrap on steaks before vacuum sealing. I'm not sure if this will help prolong shelf life but one thing I have noticed, it keeps the inside of the bags from becoming wet with meat juice and fat. This greatly improved sealing capability. 7. Try to avoid ant sharp bones against the out bag. These will cause pin prick holes in the bag. Try putting foil over bones. 8. Double seal the bags if all else fails. 9. Avoid throwing the freshly sealed bags around. Let them cool. Hope this helps

For what it is worth, I tried sealing grain a few years back in Foodsaver bags and it did not work. The bags were compromised by the grain itself. When the vacuum tightened up some of the grain was pointing outward and made tiny punctures. Over time the seal faded and the bag was useless.

I do still use the mason jar approach for hops which is great.

I use the method shown in the video to store my hops. The pump is cheap if you don't already have one, but if you do (like I did) then the method is essentially free. Mason jars in all sizes are easily found at garage sales, and the quart size will hold a pound of pellet hops. The only thing I do differently than in the video is that I only use proper mason jar lids and rings, and after I have a vacuum seal, I place a second lid on top of the one with the hole and tape, then I tightly screw down a ring. I figure that should the tape seal fail, then the second lid should help to prevent air ingress. I have had jars in my freezer for 6+ months with no loss of seal.

http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/salad...k-salad-in-a-jar-for-less-than-6-plus-a-video

+1 foodsaver.
Though a friend has great results with a ziplock brand. I dont believe that it has an attachment for jars though.

I've had good luck with the bags they sell at Fleet Farm. They tend to be less expensive. That is a 50 bag box for $14 - $19 depending on the size.

They are just as thick as the Food Saver ones.

I've not tried every kind of bag possible, but I find that a quality sealer is just as much, if not more important than the bags. I had 3 units before my wife splurged on a higher end Food Saver. It actually clamps the bag down itself rather than closing a lid on it. It has been much more reliable than any of the previous units. (Some of those were FoodSaver brand as well.)

Food Saver sucks. My first one was a wedding gift we received in 1988. It finally gave up last year. Actually it still vacuumed but would not seal all the way across the bag, I presume because some small section of the heating element stopped working.

So 29 years and the thing just stops working, what a gyp. Good thing we bought my mom one ten years ago as a gift and then got it back three years ago when she went into assisted living. Sucks that I am probably going to have to replace that one in about 20 years if I live that long.

Latest posts

Back