Vacuum sealed hops - still need to be stored in freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
So I've tried finding this answer and keep coming up with contradictory and (what seems to be) speculative advice.

This question applies independently to both pellet and (home-grown) flower hops:

If I put the hops in a vacuum sealed Food Saver bag, is it necessary to store them in the freezer to maintain a reasonably long shelf life? My freezer space is limited, and especially storing a ton of flower hops from the garden in the freezer won't go over too well with my other half. And harvest time is rapidly approaching!

So I was wondering if the consensus was that most of the shelf life benefits came from depriving the hops of oxygen, or if freezing them was also necessary.

Freeze what you can, the rest just store in a completely dark place that's cool. I don't have any numbers or anything but chemical breakdowns happen slower at lower temps so if you can freeze it, do. Otherwise, just keep them out of light and oxygen.

To back up JollyIsTheRoger, the key is lack of oxygen and lack of UV rays. Temp doesn't matter if they're dark and oxygen free. A fridge is just fine and every HBS I've been to has their hops in a fridge, not a freezer.

You need to freeze them if can. Here are some numbers from BeerSmith for Centennial hops (40% HSI), starting with 10% AA.

Storing hops for 12 months

- Plastic bag at 60 F = 4.35% AA, or about 55% loss of AAs.
- Vacuum packed at 60 F = 6.6% AA, or about 35% loss of AAs.
- Plastic bag at 0F = 8.4% AA, or about 15% loss of AAs.
- Vacuum packed at 0 F = 9.15% AA, or less than 10% loss of AAs.

While both are important, these numbers indicate colder temperatures are more important for hop stability than the method of packaging.

Back