Utopia Clone #3 Perfecting Nirvanha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

But the opera ain't over till the fat guy sings, and I gutz a great voice. You don't really think I'm going to throw my hands up in the air and say, "Oh well, I guess I'll just pour it down the drain. Better luck next time." You know me better than that. I'll get it done , if only so I don't have to listen to you carping about it for the rest of my life.

Whoa whoa... time out... just so everyone else is clear.... and I know you're clear on this from our conversation on this very topic yesterday...

I have a fair amount of faith that it'll GET DONE... eventually...

That's not the issue here. The issue here is you insisting on changing the yeast strategy this year away from what had worked perfectly two previous times. The issue is me telling you two things, 1) you're a moron for going with the MegaTun, untested, on THIS beer. While you proved me wrong and I took my lumps like a man, I still think it was dumb not even testing the thing first. 2) you're a moron for thinking you were going to ferment this thing out with a small pale starter... REGARDLESS of what Mr. Malty told you your yeast count needed to be.

I took my lumps on the megatun... and now the cows have come home to roost on the yeast... so get comfortable.

I do believe one of the agreements that Paulie and Yeager came to originally was "change only one variable at a time!," which was completely tossed out by changing both the mash tun AND the fermentation.

FYI the u2 brew was a brown ale starter and it went fine. The starter for u3 would have been fine if Paul had not decided to offer up large quantity shares to others. If we had kept to say 13 gallons like was originally planned we would have had a nice starter. Instead that starter was spread across 24 gallons thus cutting the yeast count in half for each 12 gallon fermentation. So basically next year the rule is 13 gallons and Paul can shut the f up about shares for others. Next year no showing off.... Or running his mouth about the awesome beer he can brew.......

Yes it'll be sweet, but I'm also adding other ingredients to get the result I want. Don't try to change the subject Paul, this roasting is for you. We can start another thread about me and see where that goes...right back here to flame you.

Um.... I dont think this thread is titled "dakota's 60 thread"

Lets keep the focus on Paul's yeast expertise.

I am currently sitting in the Cisco Brewpub in Logan with an IPA in front if me. I'm waiting for my flight out to Vail for five days. Dont worry though, I have my phone and will be able to continue monitoring Paul's epic fail on the yeast plan.

Next year no showing off.... Or running his mouth about the awesome beer he can brew.......

LOL!!! I just saw this post!!! That's awesome!!! Yeager put on tge big boy pants, bailed on Paul instantly and triend flipping sides to the dark side!!!

Tremendous!!!

Paul!! Are you gonna stand for that kind of insubbordination!?!?

(i can't put into words how great this hour is.. A nice IPA, Paul taking it square in the pooper and on my way to effin Vail. I love right now)

What, you going to chintz me out of my three-bottle share of U4?

Speaking of which, those two bottles you owe me, Cape? The bottles you gave me for the propane? Those tanks weren't dead soldiers, there's a half-tank of propane left in each. Pretty sure the tanks froze. Probably want to set up some warm-water baths for the propane next year.

Hopefully he gets lots and lots of snow. Tons of snow. Every night. Windblown snow, loading up on the slopes. Preferably about 35 degree slopes, with lots and lots and lots of fresh new snow. And Cape gets out there early to catch some first tracks.

Hey Brian, you don't ski with a shovel in your backpack, do you? No? Good.

PTN

Just landed in Dallas Fort Worth for my connection.

Yes i am skiing and sorry Rotund One, my ski pants have radar reflectors built into them.

No real snow in the forcast except for a few flurries. Lo-mid 40's predicted.

No, we're not gonna be in a lotta avalanche danger. Put it this way, the chance of me being in avalanche is about as likely as that grand starter plan you had working.

FYI the u2 brew was a brown ale starter and it went fine. The starter for u3 would have been fine if Paul had not decided to offer up large quantity shares to others. If we had kept to say 13 gallons like was originally planned we would have had a nice starter. Instead that starter was spread across 24 gallons thus cutting the yeast count in half for each 12 gallon fermentation. So basically next year the rule is 13 gallons and Paul can shut the f up about shares for others. Next year no showing off.... Or running his mouth about the awesome beer he can brew.......

I think if those are going to be the rules, PTN may not even participate!

Nice a freakin brown ale starter. Couldnt find a lower ABV beer to start with before pitching into an effin 1180???

Jesus... Why not just toss the yeast into water as a starter??? Hey!!! It wpuldny be stressed!!!

How much of a starter this time? You said you had to split this batch into 2 fermenting vessels, how much are you re-pitching in each? Once this is done fermenting does this go into a barrel or does it just get bottled?

DakotaRules said:
How much of a starter this time? You said you had to split this batch into 2 fermenting vessels, how much are you re-pitching in each? Once this is done fermenting does this go into a barrel or does it just get bottled?

I'm being serious, I really want to know this.

Back