Using Yarrow 'Moonshine' and other hybrid yarrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexusChris

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried hybrid garden varieties of yarrow (like the bright yellow 'Moonshine' yarrow) in beers or teas.

I've been using traditional archillea millefolium (white flowers) in my brewing. I am curious if there are any concerns over using a hybrid type of yarrow?

Thanks all,
--LexusChris

I made a yarrow beer with pilsner extract as in the O gope o yarrow recipe in homebrewers companion.i used yarrow from my health food store,dried. I used less to play it safe, all i can say is lemonade tarty,lemonade.It bittered like a lemon.Summertime i guess-dont know about this though. I almost feel like putting sugar in it.

Wild yarrow does not contain the lemon flavor from the health food store. I would not use the hybrids though, as they were bred for ornamental purposes.

Yes, I too was concerned about the hybrid/ornamental variety .. because we do not know what it was bred with ... and how it effects the pharmacology of the plant.

I found a good source of dried Achillea millefolium, and have also picked up some seeds to grow my own in pots. Once started, it is a pretty hardy plant.
:mug:
--LexusChris

Back