Noob recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djangotet

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a non-traditional semi-hoppy kolsch this weekend. I was wondering if anyone had feedback for me so that I can make this the best it can be? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 6.42.46 PM.png

I have heard that Ace and Nelson is a very great combo but I also know that lots of people hate it. I considered reducing the ratio just in case, but I didn't know how much to do that. Out of these 3 hops, i've only used Citra before because i'm new.

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely non-traditional hops there, but I'm ok with it :)
Do those pre and post boil volumes look correct?
53% boil-off is rather unusual and especially so for a light-ish brew like a kolsch...

Cheers!

Yeah, definitely non-traditional hops there, but I'm ok with it :)
Do those pre and post boil volumes look correct?
53% boil-off is rather unusual and especially so for a light-ish brew like a kolsch...

Cheers!
Honestly I am such a noob that I don't know. I am taking inspiration from Sprang by Trillium. They use Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Sterling. One thing I am definitely not sure about is the whirlpool additions. Would you suggest moving to 60 > 15 > 5 additions? I am going to be pressure fermenting and I just want to get a win lol, all my first 3 beer sucked because of basic mistakes. I feel like I have a really solid system this time and I just don't want another drain pour. I am sure that this time it will come down to the recipe.

1. A 90 minute boil is almost certainly massively excessive
  2. You'd be served a LOT better by cutting down to 1-2 hop additions. You're not adding them at sufficient quantities to really get any nuance in flavour from them which begs the question "why bother"? Boiling tiny amounts of Nelson will net you almost none of its character.
  3. No whirlpool additions? No dry hopping? You aren't going to get much other than bitterness out of your boil additions IMO (and even then, barely); if you want this to be "hoppy" it needs a decent sized (min 20-30g) whirlpool addition. What we basically have here is "show me the most convoluted and expensive way to reach 23 IBU you possibly can".

I am going to be brewing a non-traditional semi-hoppy kolsch this weekend. I was wondering if anyone had feedback for me so that I can make this the best it can be? Thanks!

View attachment 806706

I have heard that Ace and Nelson is a very great combo but I also know that lots of people hate it. I considered reducing the ratio just in case, but I didn't know how much to do that. Out of these 3 hops, i've only used Citra before because i'm new.

What yeast are you going to use? A Kolsch is defined by the yeast.

Sometimes Sorachi Ace can be too much dill and other times it can be a more pleasant lemon, coriander or mint.

If it's the latter the combo might work. Catch of whiff of the Ace before brewing to determine if it's what you expect.

One change you may consider is foregoing the hop stand and using those same hops in a dry hop.

I hope that you're using an accurate grams scale to measure out each of those hop additions.
I use a very accurate mini scale but I’m actually gonna swap out the hops for Tettnang and the rye for Vienna malt. I think it’s probably best to stay close to style. 20IBUs total with addition @ 60 >15 > 1

1. A 90 minute boil is almost certainly massively excessive
  2. You'd be served a LOT better by cutting down to 1-2 hop additions. You're not adding them at sufficient quantities to really get any nuance in flavour from them which begs the question "why bother"? Boiling tiny amounts of Nelson will net you almost none of its character.
  3. No whirlpool additions? No dry hopping? You aren't going to get much other than bitterness out of your boil additions IMO (and even then, barely); if you want this to be "hoppy" it needs a decent sized (min 20-30g) whirlpool addition. What we basically have here is "show me the most convoluted and expensive way to reach 23 IBU you possibly can".
Yeah I agree, I did most of my learning with NEIPAS so I think I’m incorrectly applying things. I am gonna do 60 > 15 > 1 additions with noble hops. Also gonna swap in Vienna for the rye

+1 on swapping Vienna for rye. Rye has some strange flavors that could sink the batch if you're not careful. Vienna will be nice.
Some unusual hops, but if that's what you want, go for it.

FWIW, here's my latest kolsch recipe for comparison. Barke Vienne has a way better flavor than regular Vienna IMO. A touch of wheat for foam stability and flavor. Very low mineral water. Warrior because I ran out of Magnum and the bittering addition contributes minimal flavor. 55min addition so I don't disturb the hot break. Tettnang is an amazing lemony floral flavor. Single infusion mash 148F, cold ferment ~60F.
IMG_93590CCC951D-1.jpeg

Prost!

++ on Vienna for a Kolsch, not rye. And Lallemand Koln is very nice if you’re using dry yeast.

If you’re looking to get funky on the hops, consider something that’s noble in spirit: Willamette, maybe, or Crystal. But it’s not like you’re going to go wrong with Tettnang.

My last Kolsches used Lubelski and Boadicea.

I might call that a "Tongue in Cheek Kitchen Sink Pale", the tongue in cheek part referring to the rye... Kolsch is very specific on style and yeast. You'll end up with beer, though; might be different, but will be beer.

Back