Using Whirfloc/Irish moss in cloudy styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guldalian

Reaction score
I typically don't make beers that are cloudy by their nature, however SWMBO has asked for a witbier. I usually throw in a Whirfloc tablet at 10 min, but I'm thinking, this beer is supposed to be hazy, so maybe I shouldn't. Thoughts?

I do use whirlfloc on my wit and it comes out crystal clear. I know that's not true to style but swmbo prefers it that way. It still tastes amazing and it makes the ladies happy. So the guys can hang out longer and drink more true to style beers. It's a win win for me.

Conversely, if you want to preserve the cloudiness, whirlfloc or not, you may want to add a flour slurry to the end of the boil to have a more or less permanent haze, otherwise over time the beer will drop clear. This may be more important when kegging as opposed to bottling because with bottling you could swirl up the sediment.

I read this in a witbier thread by BierMuncher and I believe it was also mentioned by Jamil in a podcast and it made sense to me. I intend to do this when I do a witbier in a couple of weeks because I keg and want it to remain cloudy.

My take on it was that a tbsp or so of flour in a cup of water for a 5 gal batch should do the trick.

Latest posts

Back